GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 05:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attaching Line Laundry/Inflatables  (Read 2058 times)
skyguy48
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: September 04, 2010, 06:57 AM »

Been collecting more line laundry and inflatables, and wondering about placement on my kite lines. I have several parafoils, sleds and a mockform that I've been using for lifters.
It seems that many times, the movement of the laundry is jerking and pulling the pilot kites around and causing everything to fall to the ground. Especially in not-so-smooth wind.
Question: does attaching the laundry lower help with this?
Usually fly the "pilot" around 100-125 feet, and have started attachments around half way between the kite and the ground.
Should I be allowing more distance between the kite and laundry?
Does it make much difference?
On the inflatables, I have been using separate lines run through biners on the main line, and seem to encounter the same issues.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
TIA
Bill

Just Fly It!
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 01:32 PM »

Bill, You may have more laundry than pilot now. I'm no expert, but the closer something is to the lifter, the more it should be able to pull or effect it. What sort of laundry are you talking about?
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:21 PM »

skyguy48

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:32 PM »

Bill, You may have more laundry than pilot now. I'm no expert, but the closer something is to the lifter, the more it should be able to pull or effect it. What sort of laundry are you talking about?

Howdy,
Using a 75 sq ft Bulldog, a 75 sq ft Gomberg Mega Sled, a 30 sq ft Para Sled, one of several 50 sq ft parafoils, or a 30 sq ft MockForm to lift a mid size Gecko, a mid size octopus, a 14 ft Scuba Guy, a 10 foot inflatable fish, ( all on individual fly lines attached to the main fly line with carabiners). At other times, things like a small "Skippy", or 36" diameter Spikey Balls, or a couple of home made smallish inflatable type animals. Usually just 2 or 3 pieces of laundry at one time on a single lifter.

One person suggested anchoring the laundry 3 - 4 meters in front of the lifter kite anchor.... how would this be of benefit?

Just Fly It!
skyguy48

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 03:39 PM »

It looks like you are using 2 different anchors here. One for the lifter and one for the laundry?
 Can you explain in dummy terms (me dummy!) what the advantage is?

I like the way you are securing those lines alot!

Just Fly It!
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 04:37 PM »

My experience with line laundry would suggest that if the kite is being pulled down you have too much stuff on the line.  As a rule of thumb, the lower to the ground, the more turbulent the wind, so you might try putting the lifter up higher and the laundry up higher as well.  On the beach I had usually just put the lowest piece just high enough to fly safely above everyone's head. Inland, as I had said, try higher positions, and maybe less stuff.
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 05:47 AM »

Michel this is VERY interesting.....can you tell us about it??? did you make it?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 05:53 PM »

... 36" diameter Spikey Balls, or a couple of home made smallish inflatable type animals. Usually just 2 or 3 pieces of laundry at one time on a single lifter.

If the flying line isn't forming close to a straight line between the ground and the lifter, you're probably putting too much laundry on the line.  Some line laundry pieces (Spikey balls especially) have a HUGE amount of drag for their size and weight. 

Does your flying line start nearly horizontal to the ground, then progressively get steeper from item to item until you reach the lifter?  If so, the lifter is being overpowered

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
skyguy48

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 06:12 AM »

... 36" diameter Spikey Balls, or a couple of home made smallish inflatable type animals. Usually just 2 or 3 pieces of laundry at one time on a single lifter.

If the flying line isn't forming close to a straight line between the ground and the lifter, you're probably putting too much laundry on the line.  Some line laundry pieces (Spikey balls especially) have a HUGE amount of drag for their size and weight. 

Does your flying line start nearly horizontal to the ground, then progressively get steeper from item to item until you reach the lifter?  If so, the lifter is being overpowered

OK! This makes alot of sense to me, and sounds like what has been going on.

Sooo, the idea is to fly the lifter higher, attach laundry lower, use less laundry per lifter,and get bigger kites. Sound like I'm getting it about right now?  Cheesy

Just Fly It!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum