GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 05:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocius STD vs UL?  (Read 1574 times)
Scott Blake
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 13, 2011, 07:50 AM »

Hi there,

I was thinking about getting an Ocius.  Simple enough right.  Then I looked at the wind speed range and thought hmmmm.  The UL is rated for 1-10mph.  Well, I have a Prism 4d and that is rated 0-15mph but it feels like its practically falling apart at gusts near the top end of that (and yea, I have broke a spar on it already).  A UL Ocius rated for even less than that would have me thinking it was the most delicate thing out there - but there is even a super UL!

So, as much as I would like to get the increased optionality of being able to fly in lower winds, my concern in getting the UL version would be a very delicate feeling kite.  This has me leaning toward the standard.  Anyone own the standard or UL have any comments on them?

Regards,

Scott
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:50 AM »

Two very different kites to compare. The 4D is an inexpensive, flexi framed indoor capable SUL. I wouldn't bother with it above 4MPH. It's upper range is sort of, "it will fly and not break too easy" but that's about it.

The Ocius UL is framed in wrapped carbon and is very stiff and durable for it's weight. At Kite Party we were flying it in a good breeze, 7-8MPH easy and it was totally solid. Certainly a lighter framed kite will be more fragile than a heavier kite, but the Skyhark 3PT/P90 combo can take a lot of abuse.

I'm going to get the UL for my normal daily conditions of 3-7. I flew the standard in 10+ and it was great in the higher range. Depends on what conditions you are buying for.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:54 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:19 AM »

I asked the same question some time ago - Ocius UL vs Standard.  For me, I was more concerned about the tricking differences in the 2 kites.  I was told that the UL really doesn't do a one-pop (I think it comes with no tail weight as standard), so I was leaning toward the standard which goes pretty low wind-wise anyhow and has more mass for throwing it around.

I fly my 2pt SUL up to 10 (I think the UL is 2pt), but would not go any higher than that.  If you are planning on flying it regularly in that sort of wind, I'd go for the standard. 

The 4D will stay alive in higher wind due to its flexible and nearly indestructible frame (even to the point of severe kite deformation), a stiffer framed kite will break.

6 kite tom
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:24 AM »

The standard will go low, the UL will go VERY low, and the SUL is basically a zero wind kite depending on how you look at the kite.

Both kites (ul and std) are more then capable of flying in the high wind range and are solid. The UL gets noisy but it stays just fine.
2pops on the UL are the way to go, 1pops on the standard. With weight the UL will 1 pop.

The UL is 3pt, and the std is 5pt. the SUL is the new 'zero air' tube from skyshark.

All of these kites will hold MORE then their own in the trick department. A total blast to fly. I own the 1st kite from all 3 runs (std UL and SUL) and love them.  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:09 PM »

I would totally agree with ADX.  I own both the Ocius standard and the UL.  Depending on your pilot skills, the standard will fly from around 4-5 mph on up and will trick most excellent in the 5+ range.  The UL from 2-3 mph on up and will trick most excellent in the 3+ range.  The SUL is appx. 1 mph up to appx. 5-7, tricking easily in the same range.  With advanced and very refined light wind skills, you could probably add one or maybe two mph on the bottom end of the range.

These ranges are what I have found and I don't consider constantly running backwards, pumping continuously a legit wind range.  The wind ranges listed above represent what I have found to be easily flying the kite AND tricking with very minimal work - meaning maybe a step or three back with maybe one or two pumps in between.

Hope this helps.

KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 05:31 PM »

I'm very happy with the low wind performance of my standard Ocius.  If you have varying wind conditions where you fly (sometimes low, sometimes high), the standard will cover a pretty wide range and probably be the more versatile for you.

Great kite!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Scott Blake

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:50 PM »

"Depending on your pilot skills"

Doh!
kalle

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 10:29 AM »

How much tailweight does the Ocius STD have?
Scott Blake

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:35 PM »

What are 'pts' and 'pops' by the way?
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 03:00 AM »

PT as in 2PT are Tapered Skyshark carbon tubes (2pt stands for 2 Ply Tapered IIRC)

The pops refers to the amount input to get a kite to roll up (yoyo). 1 pop: the kite will make a pitch rotation at once. 2 pop: kite first goes into backflip and rolls up after a gentle tug on both lines. 
Scott Blake

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 04:27 AM »

PT as in 2PT are Tapered Skyshark carbon tubes (2pt stands for 2 Ply Tapered IIRC)

The pops refers to the amount input to get a kite to roll up (yoyo). 1 pop: the kite will make a pitch rotation at once. 2 pop: kite first goes into backflip and rolls up after a gentle tug on both lines. 

Cool, thanks for that.  I guess I don't know about pops cause, well, I have never got a kite to yo-yo!  I am still working on stalls - but I got mean loops hehe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document