GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 09:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you ID this kite  (Read 3968 times)
scovel
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 04, 2010, 03:25 PM »

Can anyone Identify this kite?  It was purchased in the early to mid 90's.  It says Spectra Sport Kites on it.  Nothing else.  It is a large delta.  2 line.  Metal attachment points on the bridle.  It has 2 sets of stand-offs.  I circled them in the picture.  The first is in the typical place on the trailing edge of the sail.  The second set are behind the sail near the tips.  It has a "lucky fin" that I'd like to get repaired.  I think the first step is to find out what it is.

Thanks,

Sean E. Covel

[attachment deleted by admin]
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:13 PM »

The silhouette looks to be a Spectra Sport Reactor Pro, but on the pictures I've been able to dig up the panel layout isn't exactly the same (most between the trailing edge and lower spine).

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:27 PM »

It's not a Reactor, they were bigger and had dual standoffs (and a different sail layout). I've fogotten the name of this one. It's certainly the same era.

Allen, AKA kitehead
indigo_wolf

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:22 PM »

Ian Holds His Spectra Sport Edge

Photo by John Chilese (Huh)

ATB,
Sam
scovel

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:25 PM »

Different color, but I think that's it!  That was fast!!!  Thanks.  Now, where can I find parts?

Sean
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 07:37 PM »

Could it be this?

Bandit 

Size: 68 in. x 25 in.
Weight: 6.5 oz.
Frame: Tubular Graphite
Sail: Ripstop Nylon
Wind range: 5 to 20 mph

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

indigo_wolf

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:36 PM »

Different color, but I think that's it!  That was fast!!!  Thanks.  Now, where can I find parts?

Sean

I suspect that now that the kite has been identified, Steve (our forum host and the owner of Chico Kites) probably has the specs for it squirreled away somewhere.  Drop him a line. 

Give him a holler and I am sure he will be able to get you sorted quickly.

ATB,
Sam
scovel

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 04:39 AM »

Thanks for your quick replies.  I sent Steve an Email.  I'm sure I'll be flying my kite again soon.  For now I'll just have to "suffer" with the new Dream On I bought from Kitt Kites last weekend in RI.

Sean E. Covel
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 04:10 PM »

I still need to dust off a few of the old catalogs but based on the info provided it looks to me as though the lower leading edges on the "Edge" were either 5 or 7 P's (I'm leaning towards 7's).  If any one has an "Edge" or can confirm the the rods used it would be greatly appreciated.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 04:48 PM »

I recently repaired a Reactor of some sort, and found the Avia Excel rods to be an excellent fit. Kind of depends on the ferrule sizes, I'd suspect. I think I had to do some size-reducing sanding on mine, but it eventually worked well. I re-did all the fittings with APAs as well.
scovel

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 06:29 PM »

I just found the old manual for the kite.  The tag on it says "Maxi Edge" from Spectra Sport Kites.  I then found these pictures:

From this site, it appears to be a Maxi Edge I.  The site also has pictures of a Maxi Edge II and an ultralight version.

http://stratofender.free.fr/Coriolis%20System/index_2.htm

Sean E. Covel
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 06:43 PM by scovel » Logged
ancnthiflr
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 03:43 PM »

I think the early Maxis were Rev2 rods. I don't know if Spectra changed them later. Are Rev 2wraps still available? You may have to ferule to get the longer lengths. Do you need any measurements? It looks like from the pic that you have enough left to measure from.
Also I think Denis LeFranc aka Giant Flyer may have named his Maxis "I" and "II" to distinguish the sail patterns. The "Edge ultralight" is the same size as the Edge Pro, whereas the Maxi has a larger wingspan, lighter rods, sail, bridle and clips and was meant for the light wind range.
But "ian" In the pic above can correct or confirm anything I just wrote.
Giant_flyer

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 10:09 AM »

I think the early Maxis were Rev2 rods. I don't know if Spectra changed them later. Are Rev 2wraps still available? You may have to ferule to get the longer lengths. Do you need any measurements? It looks like from the pic that you have enough left to measure from.
Also I think Denis LeFranc aka Giant Flyer may have named his Maxis "I" and "II" to distinguish the sail patterns. The "Edge ultralight" is the same size as the Edge Pro, whereas the Maxi has a larger wingspan, lighter rods, sail, bridle and clips and was meant for the light wind range.
But "ian" In the pic above can correct or confirm anything I just wrote.

Hi Robert,

I discover this topic only now. You're perfectly right  Wink I named my Maxis "I" and "II" only to distinguish the sail patterns. All my Maxis are framed with Rev rods. No Skyshark. Looking at Scovel pic, the size of Spectra logo in the sail make me say that his Edge is a Maxi.

Denis

scovel

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 03:25 PM »

Still haven't got the kite fixed.  I'm not a kite builder myself.  I did run into this information. 

http://www.kites.tug.com/Archive/kites/potpourri/request.for.advice

I don't know what a 2-wrap Advantage or a Skyshark 3p or 5p are. 

Can someone confirm what type of rods I have.  I can attach pictures of the rods if needed.  Can someone recommend a repair shop?  Spring is coming.  I'd love to fly this one again.

Thanks,

Sean
indigo_wolf

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 03:45 PM »

Rev Rods:
http://www.revkites.com/main/Spars

SkyShark P-Series Spars
http://www.skyburner.com/skyshark/p-series.html

Unless the sail is damaged, should be just a matter of ordering the spar and cutting it down to size (with a diamond file, fine tooth Xacto saw, or Dremel rotary cutter).

ATB,
Sam

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change