GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 01:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you ID this kite  (Read 3741 times)
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 07:15 PM »

More back story... The High Performance Edge (and Maxi Edge) was created by Alan Nagao and Team High Performance (THP) in Hawaii, for Spectra Sport... Circa '93. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
cgregurich73

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 08:06 PM »

I just came into a spectra sport not sure wich one it is so hopefully this thread will help me. Mine needs repair to but i just need fittings for the stand offs on the lower spreader and not to sure what size the lower speader is.http://www.flickr.com/photos/59246265@N08/5552209132/#

I think this is a specta sport trix
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:15 PM by cgregurich73 » Logged

My wife can't tell me to go fly a kite when shes mad at me now.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 08:08 PM »

Ian's colors look sharp!.  Cool
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 10:45 PM »

From what I recall from the way-back section of my brain, the older Revolution-made spars for the kite industry had a prominent gold sticker that said "The Advantage" and then either "2 wrap"  "ultralight" or some other description. I don't see any of those on your picture. Skyshark 3P, 5P, or 7P had white paint identifying it as such. Are these spars glossy finished and wrapped with a small thread?

What you need now is some way to measure these things up. Measure the outside diameter, and then measure the ferrule diameter, using the good side if needed. From there, a simple e-mail to our host should lead to a solution. Steve does seem to have some Avia Excel (straight) rods in stock. An exact match probably isn't so important, as long as the diameter and flex are close, and the weight is close as well. It's a big kite, but should fly well.
ancnthiflr
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 12:56 AM »

I just came into a spectra sport not sure wich one it is so hopefully this thread will help me. Mine needs repair to but i just need fittings for the stand offs on the lower spreader and not to sure what size the lower speader is.http://www.flickr.com/photos/59246265@N08/5552209132/#[/url

I was not able to view your pic, but if this is the Trix designed by Scott Augenbaugh, the teammate of Alan Nagao of  THP:

The Trix has two standoffs and a batten; the one closer  to the center is 7.5", the one next to the edge is 8.5" and the batten is 14 ". If this is the old style standoff that poked thru the wing, the standoff may be cut longer to allow them to stickout. The tightness of your sail will tell you the length.
The lower spreader measures at 29.5 inches.  All of this is based on a pdf by Larry Navarro.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:11 AM by ancnthiflr » Logged
Kitelife

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 02:42 AM »

I just came into a spectra sport not sure wich one it is so hopefully this thread will help me. Mine needs repair to but i just need fittings for the stand offs on the lower spreader and not to sure what size the lower speader is.http://www.flickr.com/photos/59246265@N08/5552209132/#

This link isn't working for me... ?

FYI, Scott and his Trix in action. Smiley

sport kite tricks
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:44 AM by Kitelife » Logged

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
cgregurich73

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 06:04 AM »

ill try this again.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
Kitelife

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 04:56 PM »

Yep, that's the Trix by Aughenbaugh. Smiley

He was my absolute *idol* when I was coming up in the kiting scene in the early 90s...

Just caught up with him last year (finally) after 10+ years of looking, he's doing fine, in Hawaii, and still into windsurfing.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
cgregurich73

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 05:29 PM »

Thanx jon for confirming it

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document