GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 09:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gone are the days of kite clubs... and I just found out.  (Read 1909 times)
skykbass
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 01, 2010, 08:10 PM »

While out at the park one evening flying my E3, my wife spotted another kite above the tree line carving squares and stairsteps in the sky while JLing and tip-stabbing all over the place. Basically, all the stuff I so desire to do. Smiley Between a walk of shame I ended up meeting the guy who has flown for 40 years, and had a custom kite, which he still hasn't told me who it's made by.  Undecided Anyways, in the conversation he mentioned kite clubs were huge in the 90's, and since the advent of the internet and ebb of the sport, that clubs are all but a thing of the past, at least in the midwest. A couple months later I see him at the same park, and while watching him fly he mentions he has to give just a little two hand pop and slack before he rolls up his kite, and also makes mention he has kites that don't require this, but that is not the point here. Wink Trying to roll my E3 up is one of the toughest things I have tried thus far, and I could never seem to give enough slack, even while running forward with it! So, the next day while out in the scrub field next to the house I try the little two-hand-pop-stall, and then the big pop and an armlength's worth of slack and the kite rolls up like a sweet youtube video.  Grin

Long story, short: Seeing it first-hand, real-time from an experienced flyer talking you through it, is better than any video you could ever watch. So, Jim wherever you are out there, thank you, and thanks to all of you that help us newbs carry on the love of flight and the outdoors.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:10 PM »

Last time I checked you have enough people to start a club.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 04:59 AM »

Stoney started the Richmond Airforce by going to the same park repeatedly with his lovely bRide Laura Stonestreet.  Eventually a club sprang from that field, folks come and go but the group survives on.  You can do it too!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 05:15 AM »

really depends on where you are...where are you?  You can put it into your profile so then everyone knows.

NYKE is a pretty active group, KONE is a pretty active group, ConnetiKiters are pretty active; but these are clubs that have a large single line base to them.

good winds
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Bob D

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01 AM »

I was disappointed to find out the same thing a few years ago. Apparently I missed the group that regularly flew together by a few years. It doesn't seem that we'll ever see a surge in interest, but if you can find someone who can make time to meet with you, that's a start. I've been fortunate to find someone to mentor me once in awhile and it's been great! At the least you have someone who shares your interest.

(Funny story: the guy who really helped me turn a corner in starting to learn to trick taught me the half axel about 4 or 5 years ago. I saw him at a group fly on Sunday and he didn't remember me. You never know how you impact other people but they'll always benefit from time you spend with them. If we persevere through our trials, our perseverance builds character and character builds hope. My hope is that more people learn to love kites the way I do.)

Go out and enjoy the day with your kite! (Next week is looking good for wind off the ocean through the Verrazanno Narrows at Liberty State Park. Good times!)

Bob D.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:37 AM »

Isn't this sort of like a club? Only difference is there are multiple meetings throughout the world, some even held only (to use the latest and appropriate "catch phrase") here in the "Cloud", no dues, no initiations, no officers, and the newsletter is published in real time and contributed to by all the members.

If you really feel you need "Join" a club there is one that was formed one drunken night at WSIKF while sitting around the bon-fire.  It came about when JR was showing us some wonderful knots, magical knots, but all of us being in the condition we were in and knowing the conditions we had been in during the past realized not one of us would remember those knots, thus they became "Secret Knots". As the conversation drifted around to organized kiting we all held a strong aversion to organizing our fun, but feeling a connection between all of us formed through 10+ years of our once a year gatherings in Long Beach (and the chemically induced euphoria) we naturally formed "The Secret Knot A Kite Club". Everybody is welcome but nobody is acknowledged to protect the innocent. The only requirement is that you take the secret oath so repeat after me "I ...."   OK that's done  Cheesy

If you need t-shirts or such I'm sure Ted over on the right, of (again, approriately) MT Head Creations, can come up with something.

Of course if you REALLY need structure there is always the AKA, they have a wealth of information, and schedule of events available without membership and a member list with contact information which becomes available once you do register.

Safety Meeting  Cool   those who know me know I haven't attended a safety meeting in over 25 years Wink

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:58 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
rxburner
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:50 AM »

The Rogue Valley Windchasers are alive and well.
The Annual Labor Day Unfestival is coming up.
It is a shame I have to work ;-(

Getting together with other flyers is the best way to progress, if your trying to learn tricks.
Rx
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 06:19 PM »

ironically, I recently had a similar experience here in Seattle... while out flying my homemade Vortex, another more experienced flyer came questioning the design/make (by Christian Derefat if anyone here doesn't already know).  While I am deceivingly skilled at making kites, there is no disguising my lack of flying ability. He gave me a number of pointers and mentioned the benefits of being part of a club (or at least observing and learning from others rather than the videos I've relied on to this point).

I only mention it because his name is also Jim... and he's not the first Jim I know who is adamant about their kite hobby. So, I guess what it gets down to is;

to be a kite guru do I have to change my name to Jim?
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:03 PM »

ironically, I recently had a similar experience here in Seattle... while out flying my homemade Vortex, another more experienced flyer came questioning the design/make (by Christian Derefat if anyone here doesn't already know).  While I am deceivingly skilled at making kites, there is no disguising my lack of flying ability. He gave me a number of pointers and mentioned the benefits of being part of a club (or at least observing and learning from others rather than the videos I've relied on to this point).

I only mention it because his name is also Jim... and he's not the first Jim I know who is adamant about their kite hobby. So, I guess what it gets down to is;

to be a kite guru do I have to change my name to Jim?
No Steven,
You must change your handle to Sugareater.......and you will be amazed at how fast multiple tricks, both dual and quad will instantly become second nature to you..........There's a rumour out there that we will see you at Whidbey.............True?  or not?

Jim

PS: Really , truly..................try Lam or Tom instead....maybe even Reggie..........or Mike?  After all it's all in the name, I think.

OH!    PSS: Welcome to the club Cool
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:07 PM by Kantaxel » Logged

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
flat6nut

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 06:32 AM »

I never see anyone flying stunt kites where I am at. I would absolutely love to get a couple first hand pointers.
I think I did a half axle last weekend, but the winds were so gusty that I was affraid to try another one. Winds were crazy...had a steady 5 mph breaze but every 5 seconds or so the wind would gust to 15 plus, then drop off 2 seconds later.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 05:00 PM »

Hey Jim, I think tha rumor you heard about me being at whidby is true. Hopefully I can finish my latest project by then!
Jeff

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 01:11 PM »

Anyways, in the conversation he mentioned kite clubs were huge in the 90's, and since the advent of the internet and ebb of the sport, that clubs are all but a thing of the past, at least in the midwest.
The internet is precisely what enables our club, the Illinois Kite Enthusiasts, to exist. I never would have gotten hooked up with other fliers without it.

and
SkyDancer

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 06:18 PM »

... clubs are all but a thing of the past, at least in the Midwest.

Have you checked out the Hoosier Kitefliers Society? They held a trick clinic and fun fly in Muncie on Labor Day weekend. My lovely wife and I were there and we learned quite a bit from helpful experienced fliers. I bet the HKS can help you get in touch with some Indy-area members who'd be happy to exchange phone numbers with you so you can fly together.

The HKS Website is at http://www.hoosierkite.org/.

Seeing it first-hand, real-time from an experienced flyer talking you through it, is better than any video you could ever watch.

I quite agree and that's why I so much appreciate the HKS event we just attended.

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 07:05 PM »

I never see anyone flying stunt kites where I am at. I would absolutely love to get a couple first hand pointers.
Your kidding, right? Give a shout out to the Treasure Island Sport Kite Klub (TISKK). hey fly at Treasure Island, pretty much right behind the Bilmar.

The TI festival is in January each year.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 12:00 AM »

Hey Jim, I think tha rumor you heard about me being at whidby is true. Hopefully I can finish my latest project by then!
Well .....even if the latest project is unfinished, there  are a lot of us looking forward to meeting you and just................................being.............there...........
ATB,
Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change