GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 11:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A sad day at GWTW  (Read 5058 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« on: March 31, 2009, 08:00 AM »

I just learned today that Brian Todd passed away earlier this year.

Those of you that have been long time friends of GWTW undoubtedly knew Brian.

Brian was a good friend and my TrickTail mentor.

I'm really at a loss for words.

God Bless you Brian.  You had a large impact on both Chris and my lives.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:07 AM by chilese » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:09 AM »

Sorry to hear of your loss Steve.
Our hearts go out to you and Chris.

Jim and Cindy

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:18 AM »

Sorry  for  your  Loss Steve and Chris

Good air always Bobby
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:03 AM »

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I met and flew with Brian several years ago (Trick Tail related of course). Nice guy and great kite flyer.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:10 AM »

He was easily the best flyer of a Tricktail and SL7 I've ever seen. Very quiet and humble and helpful. I need a sad smiley.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Brian O
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 09:15 AM »

He answered a number of questions of mine on the Utopia too.

Sad news.
lummas
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 10:59 AM »

Wow I am sorry to hear this too.  I met him numerous times.  Always very pleasant, very helpful and a great guy to be with.  A wonderful flyer who will certainly be missed.

Mark
RonG
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:19 AM »

Sorry to hear about that.  Brian was good people.
kiten00b
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:57 AM »

I met him at WSIKF and will never forget his TriTon kite and him flying a TTUL on the nearly deserted beach in the early morning.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:05 PM »

Brian worked at GWTW back when I was a newbie in '98. Maybe just worked for kites, I don't know, but for a while it was the Dan & Brian show. Before I even bought a sport kite Brian's excellent photography was one of the things that made me aware of the sport and culture.

When I started flying, Brian was my first major influence. You can read about "fly the lines not the kite" and stuff like that, but having someone on the field who has very accrurate, intentional control (mastery?) of a specific kite is inspirational.

Brian also tought me a lot about kite framing, tuning, myths, pitfalls etc. He was clear: if you want to tweak a kite you have to know what you are trying to achieve AND be able live with whatever the tradeoffs are. And there are always tradeoffs when tweaking a kite.

Some of Brian's photos are still on the old GWTW site via archive.org. I have a few favorites I'll try to dig up.

Sad

Allen, AKA kitehead
Charly
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 12:19 PM »

Hello Steve and Chris,
  I am very sorry to hear about Brian's passing.  I was lucky enough to have met him a couple of different times, and watched him fly his kites.  He really was "one" with his kites.  It was a pure pleasure to watch him fly, and do things most of us only wish we could do.  He will be missed.  God's speed and good breezes Brian.

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:20 PM »

Brian's specialty was unique kites.  Particularly if they were Schob-designs.  The Triton was truly a magnificent kite and the most memorable in Brain's collection.

Brian was a great pilot who could fly anything, but had a special affinity for the kites that were just a bit 'out there'.  While an great TrickTail pilot he was the best Utopia and SL 7 pilot I have ever seen.  If you've ever tried to fly either of those kites you'll understand what an accomplishment that was.

Best advise I ever got was when Brian told me to stop flying the kite and to start flying the lines.  At the time I had no idea what it meant.  Several months later while flying the TTUL I finally grasped what he was talking about.  From that point on I have looked at kite flying from a completely different perspective.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:29 PM by chilese » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 12:42 PM »

Wow....very sad....
is there any info on how he passed? was this a known thing??? or a sudden thing???

breaking out the Spirit Man for him!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiwi49er
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:56 PM »

RIP Brian.

I learned a lot from you at Chico & Baylands fun fly days.

Andrew
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 05:40 PM »

Brian's site, trickthewind.com, is available on the Wayback Machine

http://web.archive.org/web/20040226172427/http://www.trickthewind.com/index.html

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document