GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 12:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A sad day at GWTW  (Read 5045 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 06:13 PM »

Flown this afternoon for Brian:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 06:34 PM »

very sad indeed

one of the smoothest fliers I ever meet ...
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51 PM »

A lttle group of Brain's photos from back in the day. They were this size on the GWTW photo page. Low bandwidth back then.  Huh   Smiley   Smiley

attachments older than 120 days removed to save space

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 11:54 PM »

I found a larger version of my favorite. I bought this Aviv from Dan about a year after this was taken.

attachments older than 120 days removed to save space

Allen, AKA kitehead
ozonejim
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 04:37 PM »

Sad news.
Will fly something for Brian next time out.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 11:20 PM »

R.I.P. Brian.
Christine
Forum Princess

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 02:47 PM »

So I put together a collage of Brian Todd and just wanted to share some memories with you and show those of you who didn't know him what he was like! He loved the kites that were really complicated to assemble but he could always figure it out. He had so much patience with newbies and took time to explain the feeling that you should feel in holding the lines. He taught me how to be a low wind Trick Tail Flier! He was my inspiration and I will miss him so much! Steve and I often asked where he was and what he was doing but no one seemed to know. Very Sad Loss of a Wonderful Person! So Quiet and So Kind and Generous! Wow really hard to believe! To young to be gone!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitejunkie/3408023542/#
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 02:55 PM by Christine » Logged

Blue Moon Princess ;0)
aka Warrior Princess too!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"
pyroflyer
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 10:24 PM »

Wow!  Sad Very sorry to hear about Brian. I talked to him quite a few times back in the day and he was always helpful and very into the kites. Smooth winds bro you will be missed by many.
brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 08:31 AM »

Here is a nice video of him flying my tricktail back in 2004.

Brett

Brett

formally known as grantb
Christine
Forum Princess

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 11:13 PM »

Thank you Brett! That is exactly how I want to remember Brian..So gifted and so smart and so sweet! Master Flyer and I hope to be half that good someday! okay I can dream cant I? Roll Eyes Great Video..man could he fly a Trick Tail or what? Huh Bummer he's gone..God Bless Him For Making such a Impact on our lives!

Blue Moon Princess ;0)
aka Warrior Princess too!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"
gwarren
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 11:30 AM »

Though I'm late catching this tread, how sad it is to hear of Brian passing away.  Like so many others I benefited from personal interaction with Brian and his website.

Allen, thanks for reposting the photos.  I too loved so many of those old shots from GWTW.  I bought many a kite because of pictures like those!  About went insane trying to learn the Utopia.  Without Brian's website I would have sold it long ago.

glen
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 03:57 AM »

like allen; my first kite flying days were interwoven with brian t experiences

i had a cheap 36" wingspan rainbow wallmart kite (still have it as wall decoration) that i could never fly beyond a launch and 1 turn. brian spent an hour describing how we could change the rods, bridle and standoffs to make it more controllable. dan went pooh and sold me something from the hq stable.

week or so later brian was at shoreline putting a box of tricks through its paces (i was still dreaming of how to do a cartwheel with my jam) and he let me noseplant the box a few times - he asked me what i had done with the wallmart kite as to him, any kite was special and deserved to be nurtured, not discarded because some princess had turned up. i asked him if he thought it could fly like the box if i went ahead with the modification. hmm says brian, maybe more like this; he pulled out a tohuwabahu!

after trying this black mini menace i decided not to make the mods

i have a tohuwabahu and a few tricktails - i cant think about them without thinking of brian

i remember him at shoreline (slowhand day) side sliding a prism radian

i remember him at our first kite festival - ocean beach sfo, he described everything that was going on, named all the kites in the air and made sure we had a generally good time

remember him in the back of dan's shop filing, cutting and sanding on tiny little pieces of black unobtanium

remember his face expressing wonder when the first outerspace bridle info was in his hands

miss you brian
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 04:33 PM »

Brian's specialty was unique kites.  Particularly if they were Schob-designs.  The Triton was truly a magnificent kite and the most memorable in Brain's collection.

Best advise I ever got was when Brian told me to stop flying the kite and to start flying the lines.  At the time I had no idea what it meant.  Several months later while flying the TTUL I finally grasped what he was talking about.  From that point on I have looked at kite flying from a completely different perspective.
After seeing Brian fly that UTOPIA...I knew I had to own one...and amazing...when I heard your comment about "FLYING THE LINES "instead of the kite.
 Years ago at Gas Works Park....when I was having all kinds of trouble flying cascades and "LAZEEE'KATHY'S"  those are EXACTLY the same words MARK REED was preachin-n-teachin me new items for my masters choro routine with those beautiful old Eclispe kites.
GADS!
"FLY THE LINES!"  Paying close attention to what the lines are doing... was a HUGE MAJOR GOLDEN WORDS OF ADVICE!

That breaks my heart to hear Brian is gone! He was truly an amazingly gifted soul that will be sorely missed.
My deepest condolences to his family, kite friends and fans throughout the world.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:37 PM by Sketch » Logged
Dave Douglass

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 09:47 AM »

I just stumbled onto this thread. I'm very saddened to learn that Brian is no longer with us. My first recollection of him was being mesmerized by his amazing Tricktail flying out a Shoreline Park. It was his fault that I bought a Tricktail, a Tricktail UL, a Utopia, a Tohuwabahu, and a Level 7. He showed me how to tweek them and sweeten up their flying. I have some very fond memories of flying at Shoreline, and some beach flying with him. Dan Whitney was a big influence on me but right up there with Dan was his buddy Brian. I'm fortunate to have known Brian.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document