GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 06:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: up grade some old kites  (Read 1244 times)
flyjay77
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 28, 2010, 08:58 PM »

I am getting ready to upgrade some old kites this wenter and looking for some info from people . I am reframing a Firedart , Team Kite , Renagade , and a stack of 9 Hyperkites . Going to use Graphite rods in all , I am looking for fedback on Size of rods to buy and or any tips or MODS for these old school kites .

Jason,

Jason Pearson
Shorline Park Mt. View Ca.
1987-1990 pilot
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:46 PM »

Part of the charm of old kites is keeping them stock.

While you will shave some weight and increase both the bottom and top end of the kites' wind range, you will spend a lot of money doing it.

If the kites are broken and need new rods, I can understand upgrading the entire frame set.

You might consider keeping them as is and take the saved money to purchase something new all over.

Just a thought.  Smiley

Good luck with your winter project.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
flyjay77

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:07 PM »

Thank you for the reply . THe Hyperkites Wood frames are worped from being damp I guess someplace and time . The Renagade I have is a sail only and need some bones in it . I have 3 stock Renagades and wanted to do something diffrent with the 4th . as for the fire dart I have 2 , one has all new upgrades in it ,and I picked up a stock one and I just dont like the way it flys , the tips flutter a lot ? . The Team Kite ,,, well its a Mess . its all new and I have tried everything to get the thing to fly rite and I just am having no luck as I have posted and I am running out of ideas on that one . , other than that I am pleased with the way all the others in the bag fly , wouldnt touch the Spin-offs . Never realy have messed with Frames though , this part is new to me , dont know what sizes go with what kites , I plan on going with 2540 on the team. but what do I use on something like the Hyperkites? dont want to over or under do it .

Jason,

Jason Pearson
1987-1990 pilot
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:43 PM »

I would look at the Pultruded Carbon for the Hyper Kites too. Measure what you'll need, since they are available in lengths of 32.5", 40". 48" & 60" you should be able to find a way to make the best use of all the material. Pure guess but I think anything in the .1800 - .1960 range would be suitable to replace the wood dowels depending on the winds you plan to fly them in.

Anybody know how to contact Randy Tom? you could ask him what he might recommend, his design. Check your PM's

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
flyjay77

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 09:34 PM »

I got an E-mail back from Mr. Hyperkites himself today and he said to go with .2200-.2300 for a good all round wind range . I think I am going to go with .2300 for the Renagade and Fire Dart . and .2540 for the Team Kite . what do you all think ?

Jason,

Jason Pearson
1987-1990 pilot
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 05:08 PM »

Part of the charm of old kites is keeping them stock.
But another part of their charm is making them do things that they were never meant to in their day.

The Fire Dart originally came not only with fibreglass spars but sans standoffs. Whilst I'd like to hear an argument that this The Way It Was Intended who, beyond the most determined RetroGrouch™, is really going to want to spend time flying a kite like this ? My Fire Dart had 6mm carbon (.2300"~-2400") from new so that suggestion sounds about right.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
flyjay77

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 12:37 AM »

Never could afford the Fire Dart as a kid , so this last year I found myself buying two of them . I had a 3/4 fire dart someone made in the bay area in the late 80's and liked how it flew . The first one I baught had .2300 Carbon frame and the spreader bars was shorter than stock bringing the leading edges in closer making the sail deeper , this also made for lonfer stand offs. Fire Dart 2 was stock out of the box with fiberglass frame and a much flater sail with little stand offs . Number 1 will out fly the other one by far, I plan on changing the frame out with .2300 cut to stock keeping the sail flat and see how it flys . Has anyone done or have heard of people doing this Huh

Jason Pearson
1987-1990 pilot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change