GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 03:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking to buy a new kite  (Read 2249 times)
yookieyl
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 07, 2010, 06:30 PM »

Hi, I'm new to kiting and I need your help!!!  I bought myself a Jewel by Premier at the start of the summer for fun... but the more time i was spending with it the more I started to enjoy kiting.  Now I'm addicted to it  Grin  My problem now is that I want to buy a new kite but I don't know what!  I looking more for a freestyle kite and I have around 300$ (+/-) to spend on it.  I was looking at a Zephyr by Prism, a Gemini by Benson, or a Soul by Fling Wings.   What do you think about these?  What would be my best pick?  And do you have other suggestion of better kites?
Thanks!!!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:58 PM »

welcome to the forum!
Of the three you have listed I would chose the Gemini- it is very capable and build quality is great, but read the forums, check out the vendors on the top and the side of the page. There are many great kites out there.
One of the first things you will be asked is; where do you fly? You maybe able to meet up with other flyers and try before you buy.
Where you fly goes hand in hand with  he next question; what kind of wind do fly in most? A standard kite might be fine for the wind you have but you might consider a ultra light for low wind days
You might also consider looking on the swap meet for something used to get you started.
Feel free to ask any question about kites on the forum!!

Sine Metu!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:34 PM »

You can step it up to a Transformer TL for $350 - the kite does everything better than most that I've flown.  Of what you mentioned, I would go with the Soul - many people seem to like that one.  I had a Zephyr for some time - I think its the best kite in Prisms lineup, I enjoyed the kite while I flew it. 

To me, the Gemini is a kite whose feel is quite different than most, which is great if you like it - but it wasn't for me.  Many others love it however.  I'd go the Deep Space route if you are looking that way.

You can also stay with SkyBurner designed kites and go for the Ocious of a WidowMaker - both seem to be popular.

Good luck.

6 kite tom
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 09:39 PM »

You say that you are fairly new to the kiting experience so, in my opinion, you should consider your skills, your budget, and your interest in the area of kiting that attracts you most.
If you are burning up to do do tricks, you might want to research the trick kites and weigh the costs of those kites against your pocketbook.

If there is a club near you, you might want to hang out with them and see if some of the fliers will let you try their kites before you make your decision.

You might want to buy a used kite from the swap meet and see how your skills match your desire to learn.

As you begin to feel confident in your skills, step up to another kite. If your resources are thin, sell or trade your kite on the Swap Meet and use the money to step up to something better.

If questions arise, come back to the forum and pick the brains of the fliers here.

In your spare time, think of things that you could try that might sharpen your skills.

Ask questions and practice until you begin to be automatic in the skill. Try to cultivate other fliers - friends are a great source of knowledge.

Don't be afraid to try something different - learn from your mistakes.

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT HOME. Remember that kiting was conceived thousands of years ago. There may be something out there that has not yet been tried but it is unlikely that you are going to discover it for a while.

Stoney       
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 01:35 AM »

Take a look through the swap meet, you can find 2 great kites for your $300. Get an UL and a standard, this way you're not left wishing you could fly when the wind's too low.
I have a standard Gemini, and wish I had an UL Gemini, too. The modern Gemini is kind of heavy and needs a bit of wind to get going. I am still learning the ways of the Gemini, it is a different kite, for sure, but rewards you with some spectacular tricks once you get it.
The Zephyr is one of my favorites, but for it's current MSRP, I would look at a BMK Muse, Exile or Mongoose. Sure, you don't get the cool case and 2 linesets, but you do get a custom kite crafted specifically for you. And you get to talk to the guy who made it...
Good luck, and don't think it stops at 1 or 2 more kites, start saving for your 3rd, 4th, 5th.... Cheesy

Hadge

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:22 AM »

If you are thinking on the Gemini I would strongly recommend that you try before you buy.  Don't get me wrong, Tim makes some fantastic kites, but not everyone gets on with them. The Gem has it's own personality and is capable of some amazing things in experienced hands but it's not a kite that I would personally recommend for a beginner - I sold mine soon after I got it as I just couldn't 'click' with it. If you DO decide to go Gemini the UL is a better overall kite than the standard - flies in lower wind, only loses a couple of MPH at the top end and has a nicer feel.

I can't comment on the Zephyr as I haven't flown one but I have heard some very positive comments.

My money would go on the Flying Wings Soul.  It's a big kite and quite slow which is good for learning.  Its also pretty tough and build quality is almost up there with the top high end kites.  It's capable of almost any trick you care to name - Mine was recently flown by someone who can really fly and I couldn't believe what he was getting it to do!  It will roll up on the spot and is the easiest and best looking kite I have for Jacobs Ladders...and it does the rising turtle thing.  Check out the videos on Youtube. I would buy another tomorrow if I could but sadly they are no longer available new in the UK and importing from the States is prohibitively expensive with import taxes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:26 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
yookieyl

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 03:15 AM »

I really appreciate all your suggestion because I'm from New Brunswick, Canada.  Where I live, there is no kite club and no shop.  I haven't seen one flying other than mine so...  That's why I  check with you guys because I not able to try different kites.  My purchase will be based on reviews I read and stuff I read on forums.  Thanks for your help!!!  I think there is a club but it's a 3 hours drive and I rarely go there so...
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 04:38 AM »

I don't know about the Gemini but if it's supposed to fly heavy, take that into consideration. It probably pulls more than you'd like. I really like the Deep Space. The Widow Maker is nice too. The Exile is good too but it pulls at the upper wind speeds. (The Mongoose is supposed to be good too but I haven't heard much about it since it debuted.) Definitely check out the Swap Meet though there's nothing like the smell of new Icarex when you get a new kite.

Bob D.
yookieyl

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 01:51 PM »

Thanks a lot for help guys! It was well appreciated.  I have decided to go with the soul from flying wings.  As soon as I will receive it, I will let you know how it goes!  Once more thanks to all of you!!!  I'm ordering it tonight.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 01:54 PM »

The Soul is an awesome kite, you will do well with it.

yookieyl

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 04:23 PM »

I received my soul today!!!   It's a very nice Kite and it flies really well, even if the wind is crappy (intermitent wind). Embarrassed. But still it flies good and a lot faster response compare to the other kite I own.  You can feel the difference in the lines.  I will continu to get used to it before I start learning to do tricks with it!
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 06:55 PM »

I cannot see from your profile...where are you located?

I am in central CO and absolutely MUST have a 0 wind kite.

Paul

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Unregistered

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 09:41 PM »

Hi,

I am new here too, but I can say that the first two line kite I flew I think was a Zephyr.  I was able to keep it under control and the guy that let me fly it wasn't too concerned when I crashed it numerous times.  I wish I could say more, but it seemed that with a little instruction it was easy to not crash.

Jeffrey
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum