GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 01:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: landing a kite....  (Read 1900 times)
maxwragg
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 12, 2010, 06:21 PM »

Sad    I fully realise that many of you will be grinning....but this is a genuine question ! I can set up & fly my kite(s)I have around 10 different shape/style Delta stunt kites,including a Cherry Bomb...... I make sure both strings are equal length,use pegs(screwdrivers) to set up lines and attach kite (with a larkspur knot) I can fly left,right,spin and control kite....but cannot land a kite without dragging it along on its side,or it just 'flopping' onto floor !!  having joined this Forum I guess I gotta say Hi to all of you?    so Hiya 0/
thanks in anticipation of any sensible - non sarcastic replies  Smiley   (as if)

Max

justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:39 PM »

Middle of the wind window, point kite down, pull hard.  That's how I tend to land more often than not.

Actually, here's some really nice examples, 2nd row, 3rd and 4th columns:

http://www.prismkites.com/lounge-training.php

freecheese

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:09 PM »

Max,

I don't have any experience with the Cherry Bomb (not the kite, anyway), but I have noticed that some kites are damn near impossible to land. Smaller inexpensive kites are often a bit unstable in a stall and therefore a bit of a pain to get onto the ground, although all kites excel at getting to the ground painfully. They usually require a bit more wind to fly as well, which doesn't help when learning to land. The movements and corrections you'll have to make are probably going to be imperceptibly small. Practise, practise, practise! Just be sure to have fun while you're at it.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:02 PM »

Easiest way to land some of the smaller kites I find is to fly to the extreme edge of the window, fly down at a slight angle until the leading edge touches down (basic landing).   Once you get that one down do the same thing at a slightly steeper angle until you can land in a dive with the leading edge parallel to the ground all the way down.  Once you get this type of landing down to move to a tip landing do a dive at the edge with the LE parallel to the ground and at about 6 feet above ground turn to fly up and immediately take a few steps forward to land.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:23 PM »

What Ca IKE said. But the easiest option I've found to teach that leaves the kite in a relaunch position doesn't require the nervousness or timing of a dive. Simply fly parallel to the ground as close as you are comfortable with (1/2 to 1 kite width is best) all the way to the edge of the wind window. As the kite reaches the edge it will slow noticeably, just before it stops/stalls completely turn the nose up (as above) and take a step or two toward the kite and it will settle into the wingtips as pretty as can be. It works in high or low winds.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:32 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:44 PM »

Yes... rememeber that you can move your feet. Something I was told when competing.  Smiley.

Feel free to take a few quick steps forward when landing in order to kill the power in the kite.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 05:05 PM »

I agree, the best way to learn a good landing is get to the edge of the window then turn the kite upward and step forward and the kite lands, once you get the maneuver down try it more toward the center of the window till you can land anywhere in the window. expect to move more forward the stronger the wind

Landing Your Stunt Kite and the Clean Up Process (External Embedding Disabled)
embedding has been disabled, but just click on the watch on you tube link

"practice makes perfect" have fun

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Old Greebo
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 03:21 PM »

Extreme edge of window works well in a nice, steady wind.   But if the wind is fitful, or gusty, what then?
My own recent experience is that landing is dead easy when a decent breeze just - well, dies.  You watch the kite fall out of the air, hold on to the lines, and go gather it up.  Or you can run backwards and try to keep it airborne, but then (like happens in the nice big field back of my cottage) you run the risk of treading in a whole load of sheep doings!
As a near-beginner, I can now usually get a kite to hit the grass without penetrating it too deeply.  But I really would like to know of a safe way to land a kite deliberately in (or near) the middle of the window.
freecheese

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 03:39 PM »

Dive toward the ground, or do a low pass, then spin the kite hard (540 degrees or 405 degrees, basically until the kite has gone right around at least once and is nose up, 180 usually works in lighter wind). That should spill the wind and put the kite in a stall. At that moment start walking forward to ease the kite to the ground. Timing is the tricky part here, you want the kite more or less nose up when you come out of the spin, you'll probably have to ease off the input early. Also, if you pull too hard you just might yank the kite out of the sky, too soft and the kite will just fly up, of course.

There are a few other ways to get the kite down on it's feet, but they're pretty challenging: snap stall, 2 point landing etc. Save those for a little later.

There's something about stalling a kite that I find really magical. The first day I put a kite in a stall and landed it was the day I became completely hooked on kites.

cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 01:00 PM »

Go straight down in the middle of the wind window, about five ft. from the ground, use a Rolling Susan move to get the kite into Turtle, then do 4 Lazys then land the kite on the left tip. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:03 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
freecheese

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 05:59 PM »

Go straight down in the middle of the wind window, about five ft. from the ground, use a Rolling Susan move to get the kite into Turtle, then do 4 Lazys then land the kite on the left tip. Smiley

I think that's actually easier than a clean 2pt landing (is there a different name for this, by the way? 2pt landing is a bit generic). More often than not I wait a bit too long and the kite goes into a turtle. A lazy or two and touch down to save face, and I come out looking pretty good, but damn it, I wanted to nail that 2pt landing!

Then again, I'll be damned if I can ever nail a rolling susan landing intentionally...
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:48 PM »

Yes, you are 100% right.  The trick 2PT landing is harder.  I'm still working on it.  Smiley

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 11:26 PM »

Straight down, 1/2 axel, 2 point!  Not much slack - its all over in a flash. The setup for this 1/2 axel is a bit more exaggerated than a regular one (at least for me).

I think its easier to first start from a diagonal and then work your way to straight down.

6 kite tom
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 09:47 AM »

One extra tip: Especially if the wind is light (or you're way at the edge), the kite will "want" to tip over in your direction, into the dreaded "dead launch" position. Don't Let It Do That! If it tries, just give it a little tug, then slack, to land it again, with the tip leaning farther back, away from you. It'll save you a walk.

Especially if you're not planning to take off again immediately, you can just give the kite a ton of slack at touchdown (or before) so it lies down on its back.

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document