GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 04:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What wind meter?  (Read 2484 times)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: September 07, 2010, 07:17 PM »

Just curious what others out there use, or do you just go by feel?  Seen some for sale in the $20s and $30s and others upwards of $100.  Just curious what is good and what is overkill?
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:17 PM »

By feel for sure - no need to have a wind meter really in my opinion.  I can tell which kite to fly as soon as I step out of the car.

It is nice when someone shows up with one in order to see what the gauge says, however.  That said, it still only tells you what the wind speed is at the holders hand.  75' up (at least where I fly) is a completely different story.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:16 PM »

The back of your neck is plenty sensitive, but it needs calibration. A good meter is a learning tool. Useful but before too long your senses will be fine.

The Kaindl Windtronic is my favorite. It's omnidirectional which is huge. Many meters you see with the little tiny propeller have to be pointed accurately into the wind to get an accurate reading. The Kaindl also has a really big display.

Anything under maybe $50 isn't going to be reliable in low wind. Buy a good meter, then sell it here when you're done with it.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:20 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:51 AM »

I have to agree with the others, you don't really need a wind meter. I bought a Skywatch Xplorer1 soon after I started - around 25 here in the UK - but now I hardly ever use it.  You soon get a feel for the wind and I can now guess the speed pretty accurately simply by watching the trees etc. I only use mine on real gusty days to see what the max gusts are. Seems to be something used more by the powerkiters.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
quintum

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 05:08 AM »

The back of your neck is plenty sensitive, but it needs calibration. A good meter is a learning tool. Useful but before too long your senses will be fine.

Buy a good meter, then sell it here when you're done with it.

Speaking of, anyone looking to sell?  It is very gusty around here most days.
justinpwheeler

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:45 AM »

Thanks for the feedback all.  Experience makes sense.
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:06 AM »

Eventually feel and experience is the rule. If you buy get a good one. I purchased a Speedtech Skymate at least 10 years ago. Still works great. It's a sealed unit so extended time on the beach has not hurt it. I like to use the built in threaded mount on the bottom to attach it to a pole. Nice to have it when a passer by on the beach asks how strong the wind is, just point them to it  Cool
quintum

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 01:19 PM »

Is the Skywatch Xplorer I a good meter? I suppose it is since Hadge didn't mention anything...
rxburner
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 01:43 PM »

I like my Kestrel 2000, but like the others, I don't use it much anymore.

Rx
Dano

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 03:12 PM »

I like my Kestrel 2000...

Rx

Ditto!
Temerature feature is nice too, just to know how crazy you are to be out in the extreme heat or cold.
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 03:27 PM »

Is the Skywatch Xplorer I a good meter? I suppose it is since Hadge didn't mention anything...

I've not had any problems with it. The Xplorer1 is the basic model, just current and max wind speed. There are 3 other models with more functions and a higher price. The '4' also has temp, wind chill, compass, altitude and pressure!  It seems reasonably accurate, enough for my kite flying needs at least  (+/- 3% according to the manual). As I said, I don't really use it that much now.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
flat6nut

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 05:00 PM »

I would like to get one if only just to get a feel for what the speed is. When I check on the internet for wind speeds they never feel the same as stated.
justinpwheeler

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:26 PM »

Flat:

That's what my thinking was.  My town and local airport/air force base report wind speeds, but I am quite sure that it is a bit higher at the beach a few miles away from my house and work.  I guess it doesn't matter that much.  When I see the beach condition flags flapping really hard, I usually just don't fly.  May be time for a vented as our wind up here in Pensacola area is rarely above 15-20 and usually in the 10 mph range.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 05:20 AM »

Eventually feel and experience is the rule. If you buy get a good one. I purchased a Speedtech Skymate at least 10 years ago. Still works great. It's a sealed unit so extended time on the beach has not hurt it. I like to use the built in threaded mount on the bottom to attach it to a pole. Nice to have it when a passer by on the beach asks how strong the wind is, just point them to it  Cool

The skymates are not completely sealed though...if you ever mess up your impeller you can purchase a new one...that makes life VERY easy!
http://www.speedtech.com/nh56vd620624/ACCESSORIES/AP-28-Skymate-Skymaster-Impeller/p-94-413/
and the same thing on the kestrel meters too..
i was not familiar with the kestrel ones...look a lot like the skymates....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
lylenc

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 11:14 AM »

Flat:

When I see the beach condition flags flapping really hard, I usually just don't fly.  May be time for a vented as our wind up here in Pensacola area is rarely above 15-20 and usually in the 10 mph range.

Rev II or vented 1.5 is great for 10 - 25 and vented Rev II for 15 - 35 or more. You won't be tricking on a dual line vented kite much above 15 or 20 (especially the more out of shape or older and fartier you are), but you can do a lot with the Revs.   Cool

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography