GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 06:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No flying STRONG winds.. anyone else???  (Read 1119 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: September 08, 2010, 02:12 PM »

Four days of the worst winds all summer.  It's 5:00pm the wind is 14-22mph and is lightest of the past four days...  Yesterday gusting to 40 mph.. Been kite flyers nightmare... I am here in Michigan what is it like on the East and West coast... The wind didn't seem to come from Earl but what do I know.. Sad

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 04:06 PM »

There's a cold front moving in from the west into NJ. On Saturday, I flew my vented Rev1 and the wind was really blowing - maybe 20+. Checking weather.com it's been over 10 mph. The next few days it's supposed to be in the mid teens.

Bob D.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:13 PM »

I drove back across Nebraska from Callaway on Monday, facing winds on the "starboard bow" of 30mph easily. Forecast for Cheyenne had been 30-40. Cut my mileage by 25% and created a long day of driving with lots of gusts. Probably what's moving in there.

Bob
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:39 PM »

I live about 50 miles inland from  San-Francisco.  Our normal winds are 15-25 from May to October, from the west.  For the last week or so, the winds have been between 25-50....

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=MC7657  The station is a mile or so south of me.

Jerry
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:14 PM »

Earl didn't generate much wind here, but it did kick up some pretty impressive 20' waves. The wind following Earl have been kicking around 20mph all week, though.
Before the storm came, we had the most beautiful 3-7mph steady light winds  for 3 days prior... the calm before the storm.

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:40 PM »

Vented Rev II works great into the mid 30s. The kite could probably go in higher wind, but that was enough for me.

We had three days of 30-35 mph wind the July 4th week at Manzanita, OR. It was 0-2 mph SUL wind from 6am until about 9 or 10am and then it went straight to 30+ mph until sundown. Oreo wind with no frosting in the middle!  Embarrassed

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:53 AM »

Wink  Thanks for the response... Wind is kicking today already at 13 mph...  Cry Cry  Can't wait for this cold front to move through... been a nightmare...Seems like yesterday I was flying Sun Dancer UL...  Single line could go up today if wind stays at 13mph.  I'd even fly the Jordan 50 if the wind god's would make a deal. Cheesy.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:53 PM »

Front passed thru last night.  Did get a few sprinkles...
Today?  No wind at all and humid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document