GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 02:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OMG you have to get this Nikon lens  (Read 2457 times)
johnguz76
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 15, 2010, 06:32 AM »

Picked up the Nikkor 70-200 zoom f 2.8 ED Vr2.And i must say it lives up to all the hype.Pics are tac sharp fast auto focus.Smooth Smooth.A bit heavy but i;m not complaining.This is my first pro level lens and i;m wondering why i bought the lower end Nikon stuff.Getting rid of all my other lenses and going with the Nikon prime ones.Its a investment but well worth the price..If you;r a Nikon guy you have to get this lens if you can afford it...Cant wait to see what it does with kites.I will soon though Whidbey is rite around the corner..

"GIVE ALL EXPECT NOTHING"
browndude3649

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:58 AM »

I bought the 10 years ago version of this guy, it didnt  have the vr. but the glass and silent motor sold me despite the 1800$ price tag. the other day the motor started squealing with auto-focus. I sent it in to a auth nikon repair shop. 500$ later i had a new motor, and basically a new lens.
Yeah the pro stuff rocks. i figure 2 or 3 lenses(long medium and wide angle) for a hobbyist and you golden.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 07:14 AM »

You're much better off spending your money on a high end lens than you are on a high end body. In other words, you can get much better pictures out of a low end body with a high end lens on it than you can get out of a high end body with a low end lens on it.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:33 AM »

It is on my drool list.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
indigo_wolf

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:41 PM »

Luckily, if your drool list is long enough.... you can can use it as a bib.  Cheesy   

Twofer!! Grin

ATB,
Sam
FlyingJoe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 09:30 PM »

I'm glad you enjoy the new glass.  I hear it's very sharp!

I'll just stick to renting another "prime" lens when I need to... mainly the Canon 200 2.8L.
Between that and the 85mm and 135mm, I get most of what you do with the zoom...

I've yet to try out the new second generation 70-200 2.8L though... but for as often as I'd use a $2k lens, I'll probably stick to renting those too!

johnguz76

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 04:46 PM »

Well i finally got the Wholy trinity of Nikon Lenses.Have the 70-200 f2.8 got the 24-70 f2.8,and today i picked up the 14-24 wide angle f2.8.I have one more i want for football photography the 400 2.8 but i;ll have to save a few months for that one.I do have the Tamron 400 5.6 so.Basically i;m set for now...

FlyingJoe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 05:06 PM »

I've had great luck renting via lensrentals.com when I need big fast $$$ glass... like a 300 2.8 for zoo duty...
browndude3649

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 06:28 AM »

Now you need to get the fake press photo credentials from that magazine, forget which one. So you can start  makin that TMZ money! Cool
in.divi.dual
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 06:45 AM »

Picked up the Nikkor 70-200 zoom f 2.8 ED Vr2.And i must say it lives up to all the hype.Pics are tac sharp fast auto focus.Smooth Smooth.A bit heavy but i;m not complaining.This is my first pro level lens and i;m wondering why i bought the lower end Nikon stuff.Getting rid of all my other lenses and going with the Nikon prime ones.Its a investment but well worth the price..If you;r a Nikon guy you have to get this lens if you can afford it...Cant wait to see what it does with kites.I will soon though Whidbey is rite around the corner..

You're going to dump the 70-200 zoom then ? Only its NOT a prime you understand ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_lens

"In film and photography, a prime lens is either a photographic lens whose focal length is fixed, as opposed to a zoom lens, or it is the primary lens in a combination lens system."

indigo_wolf

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 07:12 AM »

Thanks.... that's always been my understanding of what a prime lens is too.

ATB,
Sam
johnguz76

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 02:51 PM »

Now you need to get the fake press photo credentials from that magazine, forget which one. So you can start  makin that TMZ money! Cool
You mean IFPO dont you.I actually was a member for a while till i found out their credientials are crap.Some people swear by them that they get you access to a lot of events.Personally i wont pay them another dime.Stupid mistale on my part.They still send me the magazine though from time to time....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change