GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 01:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Explaining Kites at Events  (Read 584 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: September 15, 2010, 12:21 PM »

I've mentioned this before but many of the events I attend are not devoted to kites. Most of the time they are balloon events where we also fly kites. With that said, I think some of the people planning these events have no idea what kites can bring to their events or even the concept of what "we" do. Perhaps they think it's one person holding up a Walmart single line kite. With that said, I've put together a short email outlining some of the things that can be done at kite events. Keep in mind, this email was written for one such event I'll be attending this weekend so it names specific things that we will be doing at this event. Let me know what you think.

I thought I'd put together a short email outlining some of the things that we can do this year, and at any event. The winds are looking really good for kites both on Saturday as well as Sunday (10-15mph). The nice thing about the kites is that they can fly when it's too windy for balloon and perhaps even RC planes.

Single Line Kites: We can put up 5, 10, 15 or so single line kites that paint the sky with color and attract attention to the area. An example can be taken from Kiting Just for Fun in Idaho Falls that we attended:

http://www.utahkitefliers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86

This includes large kites with "line laundry" hanging from the line. Laundry is usually tails on lines, flags or inflatable items, such as dogs, penguins, etc.

Multi Line Kites: With music we can put on demos. This involves explaining how dual line and quad line kite work as well as demos in precision flying, kite ballet and mystery ballet. Kite Ballet is flying a rehearsed routine to music, the same as ice skating. Mystery Ballet is when the flier flies to an unknown song and adlibs the routine.

Bol Races (aka Running with the Bols): Kids and adults run from one side of the field to the other pulling "parachutes" (bols) behind them. The faster they run, the more drag the bol creates.  Bols are other 6' or 10' in diameter.

Candy Drop: A small ferry it run up a single kite line via smaller kite. When the ferry reaches a block on the line, it releases a bag of candy that falls to the ground. Kids can then run out and pick up the candy. Volunteers stand by to hand out candy in case some kids don't find any.

Water Balloon Toss: Not really kite related but it fills the time when the winds might be too low to fly. Fun for adults and kids as they toss water filled balloons back and forth. With each successful toss, they take a step backward.

As always, safety is of prime concern. We have the ability to rope off a large area using PVC pipe and yellow nylon rope. While people are welcome to come up to the single line kites, depending on the crowd, it's sometimes better to have an area roped off. We also "tag" the line on single line kites so that they can be seen. During bol races we make sure that people stand well behind the runners and also have the ability to create a roped off area if needed

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document