GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schwiemann Ghost  (Read 1895 times)
jeffersz
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 08, 2010, 05:02 PM »

I've scoured the web for an answer to this question, and searched the forum to no avail, which leads me to this post...

I've got an original Frank Schwiemann Ghost and the short end of the leading edge (wing tip) splintered when it was picked up in a gust and pressed against a pole.

I'm fairly certain it's fiberglass, but can anyone confirm exactly what rods this beast is framed with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeff
Fore Check

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 06:16 PM »

I've scoured the web for an answer to this question, and searched the forum to no avail, which leads me to this post...

I've got an original Frank Schwiemann Ghost and the short end of the leading edge (wing tip) splintered when it was picked up in a gust and pressed against a pole.

I'm fairly certain it's fiberglass, but can anyone confirm exactly what rods this beast is framed with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeff

Is the spar exposed, or can you get it exposed by removing it from the sleeve, and take a picture?  That would certainly help.
jeffersz

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:49 PM »

Is the spar exposed, or can you get it exposed by removing it from the sleeve, and take a picture?  That would certainly help.

Hopefully this helps... No other damage than the short end of the leading edge, I also removed the ferule and included it in the images.

-Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:11 PM »

I thought it was Carbon pultrude, about 10mm, but this page says fiberglass 1605 Excel

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:09 PM »

Mine has fiberglass rods.  I had to replace the spreader some years back and used a FL 505 as I recall.  If I can remember I will pull mine out and get some spec's.  In the mean time you might want to throw some calipers on those rods so we know exactly the size you need.
I wouldn't be surprised if different years may have had slightly different rods.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Fore Check

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 03:58 AM »

Hopefully this helps... No other damage than the short end of the leading edge, I also removed the ferule and included it in the images.

-Jeff

Excellent.  Now, as best as you can, get the three dimensions off of it that will tell us what it is.

Outside diameter, Inside diameter, and overall length.  Measure the diameters on the end that is still intact, if you can (hopefully that end cap is removable, or you can measure the end of the spar that this split one was ferruled to.)

It looks like fiberglass in the pics, but it's a little hard to tell.  The diameters will tell (me) a lot more.
DGomberg

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:46 AM »

If you have an original Ghost made by Frank, it should have carbon rods. (Our production model uses fiberglass). Problem is that Frank used a variety of rods and fabrics. All worked well. But there is no standard so you need to measure what you have.

David
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:28 AM »

Definitely measure the ID and OD to size it. You can also rub the end on a piece of fine sandpaper, fiberglass should leave a white dust and carbon a black dust. Also if you have an electrical multimeter you can do a continuity test, the carbon will show a reading, the fiberglass will not. Wink
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 06:30 AM »

the one i had was carbon...

easy way to tell: grab a multimeter and put the leads on the rod....carbon conducts electricity and fiberglas does not...

just make certain that the right/left are balanced....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:10 AM »

Kiting now promotes the sales of calipers and multimeters.  I had been wanting a digital caliper for years, but kiting finally pushed it over the edge.  Oh the geeky humanity of it all.   Cry 

Wink

ATB,
Sam
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 10:33 AM »

Just for you Jeff I unrolled my Pyro and checked the spars.  Mine has 8mm carbon tubes (OD .315" wall .040").  If yours is the same I got you covered buddy.  Drop me an email and we'll get that beauty back in the air.  For the record I replaced the spreader with the 8mm carbon but had to extend the length as it was over the max length of 48" that is readily available in that spar.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:51 AM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
jeffersz

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 11:46 AM »

The end cap is securely glued on, but I can use the longer rod from the other side of the ferrule just as well. I've got the calipers in my laptop bag and I'll take some measurements tonight when I get home.

Thanks.

-Jeff
jeffersz

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 08:26 AM »

8mm carbon tube - OD: .315" wall: 0.040" Length: 26 1/16"

That'd be it! I sent an email to you with a list of some other things I'm needing as well, will await your response.

Thanks all for the help.  Smiley

-Jeff
Fore Check

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 01:23 PM »

I'd reccomend getting a 60" tube (which is a common length for 8mm carbon) and just cut it to two pieces at 26.5" (might save a buck or 2)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change