GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 02:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: micron parts old vs new  (Read 1199 times)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« on: September 14, 2010, 08:30 PM »

Ok maybe dumb question, are the upper spreaders on the old micron and new one the same length? What is the length of the older one's us?
In digging thru the bag i came across what i thought was an older micron us but it is about an inch longer and that doesnt seem right

Sine Metu!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:39 PM »

Makes sense. The newer Micron is somewhat larger than the original.

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:18 PM »

This is the info I have, looks like the size changed around 2004, the materials changed a couple of time also

Spar sizes:

KITE    TYPE   LEADING EDGE   SPINE     UPPER SPREADER     LOWER SPREADER             STANDOFF

Micron  Carbon  .098x27-1/8"  .098x16"   .098" x 8-1/8"      .098" x 26-1/16"      FG rod .080x5-11/16"

Micron  Avia Rod .080x26"     .080x15"    .098x8.75"         .098" x 25.5"             .070" x 5.5"

Micron  Graphite .080x26"     .080x15"    .098x8.75"         .098" x 25.5"             3/32 FG x 5.5"
*********************************************************************************

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:58 AM »

Throw this micron into the mix:

first version...it is dated 1994....
if you look at the LEs you will see that there are no fittings....the ends of the upper and lower spreaders are destined to be put into the bridle attachment knot....
zoomable picture here: http://picasaweb.google.com/corgimas/GWTWPix#5496095066715491906

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:26 AM »

I've got an old one like that... the spreaders are held in place by little rubber bands. I've never flown a new Micron single, is there a noticable difference ? The old one is just a blur, hysterical to fly. The stack slows things down to a reasonable pace where you can actually see what you're flying...

DD

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 07:30 AM »

Thanks guys, have to measure it when i get home. I still thnk it seems to long.
Thief, from that picture; it also came with a wind brake?

Not sure what vintage the microns i have are, i think the older one seems a little faster but that maybe my imagination. They all go like mad hornets in big wind and are alot of fun. I have flown them 100 ft tails on 100 foot lines too.

Sine Metu!
DD

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:58 PM »

hmm the plot thickens, the lower spreader is 24.25"
the rod i found is 8.5"(which now i'm really confused on where it came from).   measuring the kite i don't think it would take a rod much over 7.5" for an upper spreader.
Just for reference it looks much like the picture thief posted but uses regular leading edge connectors

the 'newer' micron i have has an us of 7.5" and ls of 26"

Sine Metu!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 03:57 AM »

Thanks guys, have to measure it when i get home. I still thnk it seems to long.
Thief, from that picture; it also came with a wind brake?

Not sure what vintage the microns i have are, i think the older one seems a little faster but that maybe my imagination. They all go like mad hornets in big wind and are a lot of fun. I have flown them 100 ft tails on 100 foot lines too.
Prism did not include a wind tamer with the kite...the owner has....
with a 2" wind tamer and a 50-100 foot tail these little buggers are good up to around 30! (i have tired this)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum