GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 07:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite options....???  (Read 3391 times)
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: September 09, 2010, 06:47 PM »

So, after months of reading reviews and watching videos and reading forums... Cry  I have just decided to ask all of you for your opinion.. (I understand that it is all opinions and he said she said stuff) but I have narrowed my search to two companies for the time being...

Skyburner and Blue Moon Kites...

I am trying to decide on the "Ocius" Or "Deltadrive" from Skyburner

or...

The "Exile", "Mantis", or the "Mongoose" from BMK

I will probably end up buying two to get me started and am just having a heck of a time deciding... I don't have money to throw around so I'd like to make the most educated decision for the first "real" kites to throw in my bag.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks
Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:51 PM »

then there is the ul or std discussion too. Cuz you will want one of both Wink
I would say the Ocius over the delta drive and the exile over the mantis but I have not flown the mongoose to make a choice beyond that.
just my 2 cents

Sine Metu!
Shane

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:58 PM »

Oh yeah... I forgot about that...  Sad ... I will probably just buy one in a STD and one in a UL... Or maybe one kite in both..  Cry  SO frustrating trying to make these kinds of decision... If only I had Thousands of dollars to spend on kites..

I know that there is probably not a bad decision when it comes to these companies.. I just want a kite that will grow with me and that I won't outgrow in the passing months... and I am totally aware that I will be buying more kites as time passes, I just want to make sure that the first couple kites are a good investment and will keep me flying.. Smiley

-S
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:21 PM by Kite4Life » Logged

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47 PM »

If you throw in a Widow Maker, the quandry turns into  a dilemnma.  Any of the BMKs are  excellent kites and that includes the new Mongoose std and the rumored(?) UL version. As for the Skyburners, my only experience is with the Widow Maker which is a excellent.  As to a choice, it's really a coin toss, two-out of three or is it four out of five or six out of nine?

If you have the opportunity, give each a try before you buy. 

Gardner
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:52 PM by Gardner » Logged
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:58 PM »

YES! BEST TWO BRANDS EVER! Thats all I fly.

My vote is for the Ocius Set, and the Mongoose. Either one can't steer you wrong. You'll be happy for years.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:07 PM »

Don't worry - you will be very happy with whichever you buy............and then you may even eventually get the others!  This sort of thing has been known to happen.   Smiley

I've flown the kites you mentioned except for the Ocius - of those, I like the Exile best.

-Tom
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:10 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 01:57 AM »

I would go for a Widowmaker over the Delta Drive from Skyburner if your looking for something able to do all the latest tricks. Now I like my Delta Drive, I've always liked that kite and it's unique graphics. Plus the narrower felled seams and details make it the kite with the most impressive workmanship in my bag. If you won't be disappointed if it doesn't do every trick in the book easily I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I've not flown an Ocius, but can tell you I'm looking forward to the chance or justifying buying one for myself. It looks like something I would click with on especially on those higher wind days when I enjoy a smaller, quick kite, since I don't own any vents and can't justify one with our normal winds. So I just grab a smaller kite as the wind picks up, the Freestylist or Wolf are my current go to kites to play with above 10 and up to 20 mph or so.

Any of your choices in the Blue Moon line-up are good choices, as always it's dependent on your skill level, wind conditions and flying style which one would suit you best. In the short time I flew it I felt the Mongoose handles higher winds better then the Exile, but lacks its lower wind capabilities. I also felt the Mongoose is more agile, definitely tighter turning, and possibly more precise then the Exile, good or bad is personal preference and your conditions. I have no experience with the Mantis but have 2 Muse's which are similar, a great kite too and somewhere in between the Exile and Mongoose in responsiveness, agility, and wind range. All are capable of more then I can do and not going to hold me back in the foreseeable future.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 02:00 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 05:20 AM »

YES! BEST TWO BRANDS EVER!

You really need to get out more.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 08:07 AM »

I just want to make sure that the first couple kites are a good investment and will keep me flying..
I flown a Fearless STD(4mm pultruded carbon US, 3pt LS, 5pt LE) from low wind to mid 20ish km  for tricking.  It is a good investment for me.  I flown only one kite.  If I can starting all over again,  I will get the F kite as my second kite and save a lot of $$$.  To me and a lot of fliers here, it is a very very excellent kite for tricking.  It might cost more but eventually it pays off nicely since you flown(tricking) the kite a lot.  It also have great resell value. Peoples here are lining up to buy one second hand. Cheesy   Another great choice will be the new Transformer from the same designer.  I never flown one but a lot of Fearless owners here did.  Based on their comments, this is a great trick kite too.  Smiley

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:01 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
flat6nut

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:13 AM »

While you are talking Ocius...I thought about buying one but I thought they were not rated for flying over 15mph.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 10:27 AM »

All of the kites you mention will do far more than you'll learn in the first year or two. No worries about out growing them.

A lot of the differences between most of them wouldn't be so obvious to a new flyer. The exception would be the Ocius. It's considerably smaller than the rest of the group. It would generally be faster and/or more responsive than a larger kite. This is not always a good thing at first, but the Ocius is more stable than many kites it's size and I'd still recommend it to a beginner looking for a top level kite.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 10:31 AM »

While you are talking Ocius...I thought about buying one but I thought they were not rated for flying over 15mph.

No standard kite flys well over 15mph. You can do it, but thats a lot of wind. Skilled pilots can get more out of a standard kite in high wind than us mere mortals, but it's a lot of hard work.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:35 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 11:03 AM »

No standard kite flys well over 15mph. You can do it, but thats a lot of wind. Skilled pilots can get more out of a standard kite in high wind than us mere mortals, but it's a lot of hard work.

+1
I'd also agree with those that suggested the Widow Maker.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 12:16 PM »

i too would suggest the widowmaker over the ocius as it rewards the inputs from a beginner and advanced hand equally, where the wonderful ocius seems to reserve it's rewards more for those already adept.

Fdeli
DD

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 06:33 PM »

+1

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography