GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 12:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Google Chrome users here???  (Read 827 times)
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« on: September 09, 2010, 11:35 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone here used Google Chrome as their brower, and if so what do you think of it?

Thanks
Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:44 AM »

I use it some. It's good for quickly looking something up on the web. My laptop is not super powerful - something like a 1.5Ghz processor with 1.25 GB ram with windows XP.
It takes forever for firefox to start. Chrome generally only takes 5-10 seconds if the computer is totally booted up.
The graphics in chrome are smaller and cleaner than firefox with the standard skin, which is good for small screens like mine. However the compact theme I use in firefox is far smaller.
Overall chrome is better layed out - if I want it to do something, I can find the proper menu/button thingy much faster in chrome.

I'm not too happy about how chrome handles extensions. I don't know why, but I have more issues with getting chrome extensions to work than firefox extensions.

Chrome's main issue is that over time it bogs down faster than firefox. Having chrome open for just a few hours can get it to the point where I effectively can't do anything with the computer until I close chrome. Firefox generally takes at least most of a day to reach that point.
The tabs all being separate processes is nice, but on a computer like mine it comes at too much of a price.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 05:09 PM »

i like it...i use it and firfox...
chrome does well working with all of the google products.....but it is not my primary browser.....i agree with Will....i like the Firefox extensions more...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 02:45 PM »

Sorry, did not see this thread until now. I've been using it for about 10 months now and it's all I use. Independent tabs are much more "independent". That is, one session and/or tab can fail or stall and just that one can be shut down without affecting the others. I also like if the entire browser gets shut down, one click brings up all the tabs just like they were. For me, much more stable then IE. I feel sorry for people who still use IE.

Keep in mind that Chrome was made by Google to be the interface for Chromium... not solely as a Windows browser. So it does not have tons of add ons. Also, I don't find that the add ons that it has are very good. I do use AdTwart to block ads and it works just fine (how can anyone view anything on Webshots without an ad blocker?).

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum