GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rev. 1.5 SLE How well does this kite age?  (Read 2823 times)
try1897
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 10, 2010, 01:10 AM »

I saved up and got a used SLE and am in the learning stages of Revoligy. I have read alot of stuff about the sail stretching and bridle strech and such . This is a problem cause I have no idea what it is supposed to fly like so how do I know is its doing something wrong or whatever ?  She's an older kite but I have no idea how many miles are on her. As far as I can tell she looks tight and right.....What should I be looking for? .....Tom

TRY Mayfly
kitelover

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 07:49 AM »

Tom, I wouldn't worry about sail or bridle stretch. Sails do, bridles may, I've never noticed it. A stretched sail may not feel as crisp, but will still fly fine. Usually the first thing to go on a Rev is the mesh strip along the leading edge. It will start tearing at the two spots where it folds. They will get wider and wider, eventually running all the way across. They can be repaired by sewing, but by this time the sail will be as soft as toilet paper anyway. If you fly every weekend, this happens after about five years. You could leave the kite assembled all the time, but I don't know anyone that does. Once they start tearing, most people start saving for a new one and the old one becomes a "beater". Enjoy the kite.
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:39 AM »

As long as the sail is nice and tight, you should be good to go. If it's not... a simple fix is to shorten-up the bungees. Just untie them, sinch them up a bit, and re-knot. Even on a new kite this is up-keep maintenance.

Welcome to the Dark-Side!  Wink

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:01 AM »

I regularly fly my ~10 year old Vented SLE.
I've repaired the mesh and the sail is getting soft and a bit blown out, but it still flies fine.
I'll need to put a new bridle on it one of these days; it's getting badly frayed from doing slides on the beach.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:34 AM »

The mylar on the SLEm might become a problem with age, but if  you have an all cloth sail you should be fine.  Like others said, if you become a dark side addict, soon enough you'll have a Baressi set, an indoor, and maybe a Zen in your bag Cheesy
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 04:32 PM »

Both of my Revs are over 10 years old and doing fine. Wear on the LE from folding & storage but completely functional. Tough kite. Simple.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 06:20 PM »

Both of my Revs are over 10 years old and doing fine. Wear on the LE from folding & storage but completely functional. Tough kite. Simple.

It'll easily last another 20 years if you never take it out of the bag.  Cheesy
In all the years i've known you ,i never knew you owned a Rev.  Cool
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:51 PM »

I tend to fly Revs when no one is looking...

My nice old revs:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:11 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 02:11 AM »

It'll easily last another 20 years if you never take it out of the bag.  Cheesy

Hmm... my Rev 1 has ripped the screen in only 17 years while seldom being out of the bag. Sad

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 12:03 PM »

I rarely, rarely get any tears in my mesh material, flying probably several hundred hours a year...

A few tips:

1. Roll the kite smoothly for storage, but not too tight.
2. Don't press fingers into the mesh when handling the kite.
3. Move your fold when storing the kite, so you don't crease the same area all the time.
4. Don't over-tighten the bunjis, tight enough to remove slack, but not enough to promote more stretching.
5. If you're a stickler, don't leave the kite sitting out in the sun for long durations of non-flight (sunlight).

Even with as much as I fly Revs, an average kite lasts me about 3-4 years... Most folks, closer to 8-10 years.

Of course, having a set of kites to rotate through (std, mid, vtd) extends life since each one is flown a little less and in ideal conditions (less stress) for each model. Wink

Once a kite is totally blown out after hours and hours of joyful flying,you can still keep duct taping it together for others to learn on, or pass it on to some lucky youth... The gift that keeps on giving. <grin>

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Charly
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 12:23 PM »

John,
  Doesn't "duct tape" fall into the "cruel and unusual treatment" category???

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document