GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 04:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low wind is killing me  (Read 3833 times)
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 07:52 AM »

I like low wind.  We get a lot of that around here and it is what I learned on.  You kites speeds are low and you can really pick up on what the kite is doing.

Tip one.  50# lines about 50 to 70 feet long.
Tip two.  Think of your self as the wind.  You will be moving backwards to make up for lack of wind.  So a slow walk adds about 2 mph to the wind.
Tip three.  Keep the kite moving to get lift.  Forward motion of the kite is the same as wind (Bernouli).  Get a feel for the line tension as measurement of wind effect on the kite.
Tip four.  Get a decent low wind kite.

John
Jim Foster

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 08:16 AM »

I like low wind.  We get a lot of that around here and it is what I learned on.  You kites speeds are low and you can really pick up on what the kite is doing.

Tip one.  50# lines about 50 to 70 feet long.
Tip two.  Think of your self as the wind.  You will be moving backwards to make up for lack of wind.  So a slow walk adds about 2 mph to the wind.
Tip three.  Keep the kite moving to get lift.  Forward motion of the kite is the same as wind (Bernouli).  Get a feel for the line tension as measurement of wind effect on the kite.
Tip four.  Get a decent low wind kite.

John

Tip five.  Have a cold Fat Tire Beer or Arnold Palmer near by to consume while you wait for the wind to come up.

Jim

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 10:46 AM »

Tip Six: your flight window is Vertical (Up & Down), you have very little Horizontal area (Right & Left) Other then searching over a narrow angle for the best wind concentrate your time directly downwind.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
johnfarl

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 02:26 PM »

Or if you are going for  360 fly around.  You should be under 50 for such nonsense.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 08:25 PM »

i agree

have fun kurt
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 12:51 AM »

50# by 50 feet seems a bit weak for the Quantum to me.  I was out in 3-4 mph winds a few days ago and broke my 50#set and only had the set that came with my Jazz and that set works well on the Q.  Make sure you set it all the way to the light wind tab and if the wind is really low you can remove the upper spreader to take off a bit more weight just keep in mind the kite will flex more due to the lack of suport.  I made a lightened upper spreader for my Q out of 2mm solid carbon mated to a couple 1.5 inch pieces of tube from a broken upper spreader (damn unleashed dogs lol) so it fits in the APA fittings and the difference in 3-4 mph winds is very noticeable.  Even so using the 65'x90# line that come with the Jazz makes the Q very usable in 3-4 mph winds.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 04:36 AM »

If you learn to fly the Quantum in light wind, you'll be really good at light wind flying when you do get an UL or SUL. I learned to fly my Hypnotist (Mirage) in light winds, and when I did get my first light wind kite (NikNak) I was able to fly it easily in no wind. I used to hate it when there was no wind, now I look forward to it...
Also, I gave up on 50# lines and full sized kites after I broke the set that came with the Zephyr countless times. I've made up shortie sets out of 90# & 100# quality lines (LPG & BB), they're the same thinness as the Prism 50# line, but twice as strong.
~Rob.

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 07:09 AM »

Next tip: Time trick inputs so the hardest, steadiest, and longest pulls on the lines are when the kite will gain altitude, and lighter pulls or quick pops and slack when the kite will lose altitude.

Cascades are one way to buy time and altitude in light wind by putting emphasis on a long and steady pulling motion up out of the flare orientation and a quick pop and slack back into the flare with the same wing and ready to do the same series with the other wing. Hesitate in flare position with slack as long as possible to regain ground lost when moving backwards doing other tricks. You can usually gain a step or two forward on each flare during the cascades.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:19 AM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Sketch

{
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 09:14 AM »

I just got a Ocius UL and my problems with low wind are over.  The other night I swear the wnd was gone and I was flying... all you need is a little tug and up she goes.  It will pick up any wind around and fly.  So light and the pull is great.  When the wind is gone it's a great time to practice landings and take off's.
The Ocius will keep you flying when others are not... Cry
The SKYBURNER OCIUS UL-SUL are truly a beautifully designed all around light wind kites but for a beginning flyer-------a tad bit on the priceee side?
HOWEVER!!!
Unless the $240.00 plus price is not an issue....and can afford to crash n bash and put at risk this light weight piece of sky art...(during the process of learning to fly in light wind conditions) then  I too would HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Prism 4D as perhaps a great first choice!
I have been flying with  80ft#50 lb. spectra on virtually ALL of my full sized kites with NO PROBLEMO'S  for many many years...INCLUDING my modified Quantum kite and most of the problem with line breakage....

NO MATTER WHAT KITE YOU FLY WITH...ALWAYS TAKE TWO LINES SETS  WITH YOU AT EVERY FLYING SESSION! ONE SHORT SET OF LIGHT DIA FOR LIGHT AIR...AND ONE SET FOR HEAVIER WINDS!

IS NOT THE JUST THE LINE DIA!!!

FAR AND AWAY AND MOST IMPORTANT is how you MAINTAIN YOUR EXPENSIVE SPECTRA LINES.

Such important items such as knowing the correct method in constructing, sleeving, and especially how to correctly tie the ends and double knotting practices.

EVEN MORE IMPORTANT...is how carefully we TAKE CARE OF THESE LINES during the flying sessions. 
Keeping the lines clean and free from beach trash, especially on those lighter dia. lines. Mearly dragging lines across gritty rocks, or flying with too many line twists and wraps can really shorten the life of not only the lighter #50 lines...but also even larger line diameters are equally at risk.
SPECTRA'S NEMISUS IS "FRICTION AND RESULTING HEAT"
 FOR EXAMPLE:
Just take a short piece of brand new #125 lb. spectra---pull it tight and then with force---quickly pull n' draw it over a piece of beach driftwood! See how quickly this friction easily frays and melts this brand new piece of specta.
Whether the spectra lines are #25 lb or 300 lb. Care in how we tie the ends...how we maintain these lines during and after flying sessions is always the bottom line:

Extremely  important thing to remember that flying in high wind conditions with any sized spectra lines.....
KEEP YOUR LINES FREE FROM TOO MANY TWISTS!

NEVER FORGET TO REMEMBER!

Heat build up in flying n' popping those nice sharp corners...can really DAMAGE these amazingly strong but AMAZINGLY FRAGILE SPECTA LINES...ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE LACED WITH LOTS OF SAND AND BEACH TRASH.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:40 AM by Sketch » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change