GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 02:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Flyer  (Read 4921 times)
durangodriftkid
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 10, 2010, 11:10 AM »

Well first Id like to say Hello from Durango Colorado.  Ive been into r/c for about three years now rotary/fixed aircraft and lately cars and crawlers.  I work for a LHS and got in a few kites to have on the shelves.  Needless to say once I got my hands on a Skydog Kites Freebird and felt the wind i was HOOKED!  That was about a week ago, after many nosedives into terrafirma, 3 broken spars(new ones in the mail!) countless youtube videos and tutorials, and waiting for wind which is stubborn around here I know ill be doing this forever! 

Does anyone have pics of their bridle set ups?  Im not sure what mine should look like or what exactly to adjust when i make a "bridle adjustment".  Ive broken all my rods so the last time i tried to fly with my repaired ones it wasnt pretty Cry   I have new ones on the way But nonetheless i tried to make some adjustments and am not sure how it SHOULD look.  Anyone got any pointers?

I looked at a few forums and decided to join here based on the activity and input i was reading.
Look forward to being part of the community and learning new tricks with my Kite!!   

durangodriftkid
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:40 PM »

There are 2 pictures of a stock Freebird on my Picasa website. Click on the photo below to go to the website. Then click on the magnifying glass to look at the bridle. I hope that helps.

Looks like it is a "static" bridle with a middle 3rd leading edge bridle leg to limit leading edge bending when the wind picks up.

Welcome to the Forum.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:45 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:26 PM »

That's a fairly new kite, so if someone around here doesn't have one to measure, get in touch with Skydog. I'm sure they can get you the info.

Welcome to our little world!!!

Allen

Allen, AKA kitehead
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 02:37 PM »

OMG.....another one....."HOOKED". Run...man....run....Inland flyer...in Durango...no less.....save yourself before it's too late!!!!!      Wink

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
durangodriftkid

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 03:31 PM »

Is that why Im not reading much info about these kites?  I thought maybe they were thought of as inferior Lol
Thanks for the replys guys.  anyone have close up shots of the area where all the lines come together in the bridle?
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 04:35 PM »

Click on the "Sky Dog" link on the right side of this page and they will give you all the info you need.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 04:42 PM »

The Skydog kites are considered "less expensive" as they are produced in quantity by another company for Skydog.

The quality is fairly good for kites at these price points. But they are not at the quality level, nor do they fly and trick as well, as the higher end kites made by what we like to call "boutique" kite shops like Blue Moon, Benson or Jest of Eve to name just a few.

As far as close-ups of the bridle tow point area.... that will be surprising to see due to the fact that the kite is so new and smaller than most of the pilots here prefer to fly.

The middle leg bridle leg should be removable first as it really doesn't come into play until winds pick up. That leg should be just slightly loose when the other 3 are all taut at the same time. If you haven't messed with the other side, you should be able to measure the good side. Barring that, you may be able to measure or look at another bridle where you got yours.

Here is a collection of bridle information I gathered from various other websites.
If you click on the photo, you will be taken to a larger version which you can download and keep on your computer. Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:55 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
durangodriftkid

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 08:18 PM »

Awesome!  Great info there chilese thank you.  Im going to get out to the pasture when the winds good tommorow morning and see what i can come up with.  I feel like it might be pointless tho since im not sure if my repairs to the poles prevent enough flex.  I wrapped the cracked area with string and applied epoxied, but it hasnt actually flown since then (that could be mine AND the winds fault tho)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 01:30 AM »

Hey DDK...
I love that corner of Colorado ! Purgatory was a favorite stop of mine when I'd visit. It sounds like you're going to need a light wind kite to go along with your standard. Wait until you ask that question... There are a few other users on the forum from other parts of CO. They may understand your unique wind conditions the best.
Good luck with your new addiction !
~Rob.

durangodriftkid

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 05:27 AM »

We have pretty descent wind here its just a little blustery and not like a smooth off-shore breeze.   Im sure Ill have a "bag" like the rest of you guys, so ill always have something that will fly!  Its great living in such an amazing place that it stays with people their whole lives in memories!  Ive lived here in durango for2 years now after leaving the hustle and bustle of PHX life....now im kind of wanting to live by the beach! Thanks for the replies guys Ill see if i can get a pic of my setup today when i try to fly,  so maybe someone can say....yeah it looks good go fly or.....nope not gonna work.  Roll Eyes
durangodriftkid

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 05:35 AM »

Well I happened to go into a local outdoor store yesterday and low and behold....they have Prism Kites!  I couldnt believe it.  Almost walked out with a Nexus or one of those small foils for 60$ but decided id better wait and do some saving and research.  Also have a feeling that i might be giving my business to a vendor here instead, its not like they had parts in stock so thats not a big issue. 
durangodriftkid

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 08:21 AM »

Hate double or uhh triple posting but..... Roll Eyes
Not too happy with the repair job and havent really had a chance to seriously try to fly since ive been securing employment this week.

Does the line/larkspur knot furthest to the left in this pic stay kind of loose and free on the line?  above the knot that the other is securely  cinched around?

Which line do you "adjust" when making "bridal adj"  You guys are all probably laughin at me but im trying to learn!!!  Cool
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:28 AM by durangodriftkid » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 12:25 PM »

OK that center outhaul has to have the larkshead placed above the bottom knot, 3rd picture, the other side of the knot your middle finger is next to. That line may not be tight under no or light loads as John C's pictures confirm.

Your adjustment is going to be along the line that runs from the center T (where the bottom spreaders are connected in the center) to the upper outhaul (connected at the upper spreader to leading edge connector). Look at that line real close, is there any indication of a factory marking? That would be your starting point. You'll loosen that larkshead and tighten by pulling either the top or bottom line to tighten.

Comparing your picture to the ones John C posted it looks like on Johns the bridle is actually connected to the spine above the center T, that is not really common practice and yours is connected the more common way so the lines come over the center T. But if it really goes above that would change the way the kite flies. Maybe somebody can confirm that location or maybe John & Kent put their lines under the T rather then over as a personal preference, doing so wouldn't alter the flight as much as if the line was in the wrong place on the spine.

It's not the way I would build that bridle myself but let's get you flying before you start tying complete new bridles.  Wink

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
durangodriftkid

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 12:37 PM »

LOL yeah lets get this thing up in the air!  Well im going to study your post and take a look.   Thanks for the reply Im sure ill have a few more questions.  Winds up a bit maybe ill go see whats up
durangodriftkid

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 02:00 PM »

well......she flew fine.  Pulled off my first landing at the edge of the window!!!   super phsyked about that one, tons of spins succesfully,  an axel/540 lookin thing, and lots of lawn darts..which lead to a broke LE doh!! Guess ill try to ghetto rig that one too
Im thinking maybe i should pick up one of those prism snapshots they have downtown since they have no frame.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:11 PM by durangodriftkid » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change