GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 03:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Flyer  (Read 4778 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 09:52 PM »

Embarrassed  Things get better.  Wink

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
durangodriftkid

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 08:13 AM »

Embarrassed  Things get better.  Wink

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  Im not one to give up easily and when things get tough and challenging...I get more obsessed!  lol  Im heading out to the shop right now to try and fix up my LLE  Grin  Have you flown a snapshot mike?  Are they a worthy addition to the arsenal?   Im leaning towards the 1.2 or 1.4 as they are reasonably priced and seem to be quick and fun.  Im not really looking to be pulled all over the field, I just want to be able to practice keeping things in the air without the fear of breaking something.  Plus the Ol' lady wants to learn and shes rather dainty.  The more videos i watch the more i want to ride downtown and drop the cash!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 08:40 AM »

The snapshots are good foils, more percise in turning then the older models. I would tend to go for the 1.4 over the 1.2 or even the 1.9, they seem to have a lower wind range and although they do have some pull they arent that bad in moderate winds. If your at the beach a handful of sand to hold them down until you get the lines out and are ready to take off. If you are inland i use a 3 foot length of heavy rope. Either way the idea is to let it roll off the sail as you pull it up and it inflates.

Sine Metu!
durangodriftkid

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 08:49 AM »

The snapshots are good foils, more percise in turning then the older models. I would tend to go for the 1.4 over the 1.2 or even the 1.9, they seem to have a lower wind range and although they do have some pull they arent that bad in moderate winds. If your at the beach a handful of sand to hold them down until you get the lines out and are ready to take off. If you are inland i use a 3 foot length of heavy rope. Either way the idea is to let it roll off the sail as you pull it up and it inflates.
Good tips Ill remember that.  I think im gonna grab a 1.4 and go have some fun with it!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 09:01 AM »

They are a good foil, but as DD pointed out launching foils without a helper is challenging which makes them not the best for learning. I have a few myself for those days when you just want to lean back on some lines and "Swoosh". They are limited in what they can do to turns and straight lines. The one I demo'd the lines were way off so check the lengths before you fly, maybe a good idea to check your current set, uneven lines are prevelant and the biggest cause for frustration with new fliers. Framed kites have the widest range of capabilities but foils are fun especially when the wind is higher, and could help while you're getting your muscle memory trained to know which hand to pull or push to get the turn you want from every flight position during your early stage.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:04 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
durangodriftkid

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 09:23 AM »

Im pretty used to having to run back and forth for setup lol  I fly alone mostly
durangodriftkid

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 10:55 AM »

Didnt break my LE!  Just had the little sleeve connector come loose...a little 5 min epoxy and im ready to go flyin!!!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 01:30 PM »

If your set on a foil, save yourself some money and time and just get the 3.1 Tensor.  After purchasing a 1.4 or 1.9, you will be back looking for something bigger and end up getting the 3.1 anyways. Smiley Smiley Smiley  Careful, the pull can be very addictive.

durangodriftkid

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 02:19 PM »

Yeah you may be right.  Its just a 60$ pricetag and a 200$ tag.......If i get this job i just interviewed for then i might have to "splurge" with my first paycheck!   Tongue
Just went out to fly and........Pulled my first fade and a few other tricks!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:48 PM by durangodriftkid » Logged
LekeYuk

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 07:12 PM »

@durango I have a snapshot 1.4 and I really like it. I flew it exclusively for about a year before I ventured into any of the delta stunts. I think it worked really well for giving me a feel for the lines and the wind window and which direction the wind is blowing and when to pull hard versus soft. Since making the transition to a delta I feel like i have much more control of that kite than i would have a year ago and I also know how to keep it from lawn darting (till falls out the sky just much more slowly). I have also flown the 1.9 but I just found the pull to be a little too much for my tastes. It wasn't overly hard but I guess I am used to the more laid back pull of the 1.4. The other thing I would say is the kite is extremely durable I spent at least 5 months mostly dragging it from one end of the park to the other trying to get it off the ground and being too lazy to do the walk of shame. It has not a single rip or snag or tear in the sail. and I can pretty much get it flipped over and up from almost any position on the ground. The last thing I would say is that now I use it to bring a friend and get them flying without having to worry they will break a spar.
durangodriftkid

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 07:23 AM »

Well I have some side work today and will probably be picking up a 1.4 afterwards.  Just seems like a good buy and like LekeYuk pointed out, It will make a great "trainer" to have in the bag  Smiley
Thaks for all the replies and advice guys!
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 05:12 AM »

There is a small group of us North of Denver that I can vouch for.  We meet at Sandstone Park which is in Longmont.

As for kites, I recommend you get ahold of a large light wind kite.  Something that can handle 1-5 mph.  I recommend a full or 3/4 size kite rather than the little 4D.

If you ever want to scoot over this way let me know.

I have an email group that I send emails to each weekend saying what time I will be out (Usually Sunday).  Send me a private message if you want to be part of that group.

Paul

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
durangodriftkid

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 06:42 PM »

Well I picked up a Snapshot 1.4 today!  Gonna pre flght it in the morning and be at the spot when I think the winds gonna be up.  Thanks for all the input guys.  Maybe Ill be able to get a little video this weekend, Ill post it here if i do.  Happy flying this weekend everyone  Smiley
durangodriftkid

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 08:20 AM »

Double post but I have a few questions.
1: How do you cut carbon rods? 
2: What kind of sewing machine does everyone use for making their own kites?
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 08:31 AM »

I use tape to mark the end and reduce splintering. I use a fine tooth hacksaw but have also used dremels with a cutting disc. It might also help to roll the tube around and put a cut in before cutting all the way. Obviously don't breathe the dust and watch out for splinters. Measure twice, cut once. After cutting i use an emery board to clean up the edges

Sine Metu!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document