GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Flyer  (Read 4681 times)
durangodriftkid
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 06:09 PM »

Took the snapshot and my skydog out to the field yesterday with a buddy.  Took the first few pulls on the new foil and was pleased with its tendencys, Then I handed the lines over to my buddy and went to set up my other kite.  He had no problem figuring it out and within seconds i could see the biggest smile EVER!  Today he called me up and had me meet him downtown, we walked to the spot and he picked up a Quantum.  We went out to fly and had a blast!  I was really impressed with how the quantum flew in light winds and he was pulling off tricks really fast!  While we were there this lady came out to the field with her 2 young daughters, one of the girls was carrying a large sled type kite that she said they found at the thrift store(nice find)! lol  I could hear them oohing and awing at the kites we were flying so I asked them if they wanted to try....all three had succesful flights and were making turns Smiley  Prism Kites are top notch and Im really enjoying the oppurtunity to share them with my friends and others!

DurangodriftKid
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:24 AM by durangodriftkid » Logged
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 05:56 AM »

Glad you're having fun.  I had a guy come up to me the other day and ask if mine will just fly without having to move the lines so that I can sit down and relax.  I explained to him that this particular one wouldn't but pointed him in the direction of the local store for a nice SLK.  Most of the time my beach is pretty sparsely populated, so not too many people bother me.  No dogs allowed on the beaches here in NW Florida either, so that's nice.

How's the trick learning coming?  The ambidextrous part is tough for me.
durangodriftkid

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 06:07 AM »

Glad you're having fun.  I had a guy come up to me the other day and ask if mine will just fly without having to move the lines so that I can sit down and relax.  I explained to him that this particular one wouldn't but pointed him in the direction of the local store for a nice SLK.  Most of the time my beach is pretty sparsely populated, so not too many people bother me.  No dogs allowed on the beaches here in NW Florida either, so that's nice.

How's the trick learning coming?  The ambidextrous part is tough for me.
The only tricks ive really been getting down are Fades and some spin recoverys out of said fades lol Everytime i go out tho i feel more and more comfortable with the lines and knowing how the kites going to react.  Im really waiting for a solid 10-15 mph day when i can play with the wind.  Ive been really working on just judging the winds direction and finding good places to fly.  Havin a BLAST!!!
justinpwheeler

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 06:20 AM »

At least you are getting the fades.  Not sure what I am doing wrong but just can't get it to stay in the fade.  Sometimes it doesn't roll towards me from the flare but most of the time it hits the lines and pops right back into flying.  Tending the flare must be a very learned art.  On the plus side, lazy susans and 1/2 axles are coming nicely.  I will try axle to fade next time but I am sure that I am just being too hard on the lines.
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40 AM »

For the transition from flare to fade, try pulling either a little sooner or a little later than you have been doing. Some kites like nose below horizontal rather than flaring all the way horizontal for start of the trasition. Also start the pull before the kite stalls in the flare. If you are stalled in a flare give a little slack to let the nose rise a bit and pull for the fade against that up momentum.

Stop the pull motion a little sooner so it won't hit the lines as hard in the fade and bounce out of the fade. You need just enough rotation speed to get the nose past pointing towards the ground and rotating up.

Use the lines like a shock absorber to start catching the nose a little before horizontal in the fade and add tension until the rotation stops a little nose high in the fade. It's kind of like catching an egg or water ballon so they won't break.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:45 AM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
justinpwheeler

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 11:23 AM »

Will keep trying with that thought.  Thanks.
jaydub

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 12:11 PM »

Pull less hard and step towards the kite as it comes towards you. This will let the kite come round more slowly under its own momentum and make the fade easier to catch
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document