GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 10:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bikey question  (Read 3680 times)
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 11, 2010, 11:32 AM »

would you go this way for a fixie? : www.republicbike.com

with three boys i learnt buying good bikes with good components made sense for the eldest - bike enjoyed and lasted until outgrown but with the other two everything gets destroyed no matter what. is abusive destruction, not fair wear and tear. youngest (12) needs bike for school run and is a user in free time.

his "mountain" bike is a good framed hand me down but needs new brake levers, cables and pads again. the derailler needs adjusting or replacing as well as recabling and the twist shifters are totalled. as the gears are the things that get buggered the most when the bike gets thrown around and i waste lots of tuning time i figure the way to go is get rid of the ability to change gear altogether - who needs it at age 12 anyway for riding along a river bank? this led me to the fixie thing which looks more fun than a video game and makes me wish i was 12 again

question is - should i do the brakes (around $25 - $40) and work out how to change the rear wheel for what they call a "flip-over" so he can ride fixed or with free wheel and what would i do with the crankset?

dont know about you guys but when i was twelve we used to do all this spanner work ourselves - seems my kids are totaled by a holed inner tube. i still enjoy it though and is great fun doing it with them

advice really appreciated - the republic bike looks cool and is right on the fashion thing but even though it is real money i know it is not enough money to mean the components are good enough to last
durangodriftkid
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:40 AM »

Fixies scare the crap out of me!  Ive watched my friend put himself in the hospital TWICE with his this year.  A buddy of mine just picked up a new TORK bike and it has drum brakes and internal gears!  Feels a little weird at first but its maintenance free and pretty cool once you get used to the drum brake squishiness.  Good luck with your purchase.
david barnby

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:24 PM »

thanks - but assuming i dont want to be talked out of a fixie the interest is in how to go about getting one

back on topic

Fixies scare the crap out of me!  Ive watched my friend put himself in the hospital TWICE with his this year.  A buddy of mine just picked up a new TORK bike and it has drum brakes and internal gears!  Feels a little weird at first but its maintenance free and pretty cool once you get used to the drum brake squishiness.  Good luck with your purchase.
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 12:37 PM »

Have you looked at the Breezer's or any of the Trek or Specialized single speeds.  Trek even has one that is belt drive now.

Your son's bike can be converted to a single speed.  They make a single rear "cog" to replace the cassette on the back rim.  The rear derailer is replaced by a fixed chain tensioner. Last, the inner front chain rings are removed.

Of course before you do anything, you need to watch this video! Cheesy
Performance
david barnby

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 09:23 PM »

thanks - that will provide a single speed function but not fixie function

no one know about those flip flop hubs?

video good : the road biker is like my older son and the fixie my younger two

wast of time trying to convince one to like the same as the other
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 10:11 PM »

Here's the one I'd go with:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/fixies/10_beatnik.html

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 10:57 PM »

Well a flip flop hub looks to run around $50 add in new spokes & nipples + $20 (?). Can you lace it yourself? It is within the realm of a competent person with a "Spanner", even I've done it. Otherwise add in shop labor. Fixie wheel sets look to run $150 - $200 in 700c, do your Mt Bikes use that size or do they run the American 26"? If 26" you'll have to lace a hub to your rim.

You can remove the inner chain wheels or leave the center one and get a smooth ring for the outer which will keep pants legs out of the sprockets, or grind the outer off yourself to make one. The largest problem your going to run into is chain alignment since your Mt Bike cranks can not be adjusted to align the sprockets, you might get lucky though and be in the ballpark on the center or outer wheel. But I'm betting Fixies are meant to get hammered on, I see your kids kicking the rear wheel up and stopping the cranks and landing with full brakes on, in that case a set of tubular chromoly BMX cranks could be a wise investment since inexpensive alloy cranks may not stand up to that abuse for long. A plus with the BMX cranks is they are adjustable for the chain alignment but look at spending $150 - $200 + on them.

Are they going to need a set of those bullhorn bars or will the Mt Bike bars keep them happy?

You could end up spending the $400 - $650 on the conversion or you could do it for $100 if you can do the work and they aren't too picky.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
browndude3649

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 06:37 AM »

I'd say if the younger ones want fixies then they gotta learn how to do the basics. Brakes, chain breaking, flat tires, but if you can afford the repair bill so be it. I just bought a fixie with a flip-flop hub(Fuji americano). I tried riding fixed but its too scary for me. One other thing to consider is if its pretty flat where u live. If it isnt ur kids are going to be walking their fixies more than riding them.

If theirs a bike swap meet event nearby and it can wait, try getting the parts u need cheap and put them on yourself, force ur kids to watch, great bonding exp Angry
http://www.theped.com/article_details.asp?idno=32
This bike shop puts 2 swap meets a year. good deals can be had.

Hey Turkey next one is Oct17, a sunday. Say isnt that the loma-prieta quake anniv.?
Turkey9186

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:46 AM »

Funny, we were talking about the swap meet at work on Friday.  Last year they had some great deals on CDale clothing closeouts.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 04:42 PM »

I haven't thought about fixed gear bikes since the 70s. The only people who rode those kinds of bikes were the ones who raced track bikes. I still think they're nuts.

Bob D.
in.divi.dual
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 05:14 PM »

I'll see your nasty Jamis and raise you a Cinelli (Mystic Rats)

JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 06:25 PM »

So.. you are recommending that David plop down a Grand for a fixie?
Turkey9186

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 08:22 PM »

Have you tried Bikesdirect?
david barnby

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 09:47 PM »

thanks everyone for the inputs. the pictures of the bikes are tempting (jim - a grand is only a few kites Shocked but no, it makes no sense)

i like the idea of converting his bike and doing it together - if he dosent like the fixie he can flipflop the wheel and if he wishes he had gears we can buy the parts and refit. by then he may have grown the extra inches his brothers have too Smiley

reading mikes post it looks like i need a wheel built around the flipflop hub and i make even swap out the bottom bracket and buy a suitable crank

will have to hold until i am back next weekend because i need to see the rear drop out. the suggestion (thanks) for switching to single speed with a kit including a tensioner replacing the derailier made me wonder why? seems if the bike has vertical drops outs there is no way to adjust chain tension. if this is the case i think the opportunity to waste much time and effort is too high - if it has horizontal slots we should be able to make it work
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 01:16 AM »

Surly Singleator:

http://surlybikes.com/parts/singleator/

If you want to do something cleaner White Industries makes eccentric hubs for the purpose, but $$:

http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document