GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 08:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bikey question  (Read 4010 times)
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 03:30 AM »

assuming i dont want to be talked out of a fixie the interest is in how to go about getting one

Perhaps the greatest service this or any other forum could offer would be to talk you out of riding a fixie.  Embarrassed If you're thinking about brakeless fixie then a full blown intervention might be called for.

As with all things bike-related I defer to BikeSnob NYC for guidance. His commentary on the spec. sheet of the Republic bike:- If you're wondering why the bike's so cheap, it's because it's, well, made out of really cheap stuff.

However if your mind is made up.... converting a geared bike to fixed is a pain - the driveline just won't line up that easily. If you really want to do this and wish to know what you need then take the bike to a good bikeshop and tell them what your plans are. Put some business their way by means of payment.

Mike.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 03:32 AM by zippy8 » Logged

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 06:24 AM »

thanks - that will provide a single speed function but not fixie function

no one know about those flip flop hubs?

video good : the road biker is like my older son and the fixie my younger two

wast of time trying to convince one to like the same as the other

You might check this site: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

Denny
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:26 AM by DWayne » Logged

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
durangodriftkid
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 08:26 AM »

No way!!! wayy to dangerous   Cool
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 09:39 PM »

As with all things bike-related I defer to BikeSnob NYC for guidance.

[/quote]

jeez mike - not to devalue the content or your advice, but you really read such stuff? looks more like a troll trainer website. good it is a blog. imagine that guy using his ballistic writing style in a forum!!
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 11:36 PM »

jeez mike - not to devalue the content or your advice, but you really read such stuff?
Oh yes. Whilst much of it is pure snark he does slip in some good stuff. Taking most of it seriously might be ill judged though Wink. But he does know his bikes and he nails the Republic bike's parts list - there's more cheap in there than a budgie farm.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
browndude3649

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 07:00 AM »

hey barnaby, you shoulda put a poll on this thread.
Fixed or single speed.
I've tried fixed, and its scary dude. Huh
Jimmer
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34 AM »

Howdy,
Here's a forum that will shed some ideas on how to build one...
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2468

With a flip hub you can go fixie or single speed...your choice... Huh
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 09:20 PM »

He's a bit of a mini-celeb here. Most of it is tongue in cheek.

David, I think you are better off getting something with better bits and bobs. Decent parts make for a better experience all round.

You can always spend quality time tinkering and a better spec makes that more enjoyable as well.

jeez mike - not to devalue the content or your advice, but you really read such stuff?
Oh yes. Whilst much of it is pure snark he does slip in some good stuff. Taking most of it seriously might be ill judged though Wink. But he does know his bikes and he nails the Republic bike's parts list - there's more cheap in there than a budgie farm.

Mike.
david barnby

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 01:47 AM »

thanks again all for the info - decided on flight home that if he wants a fixie he can build it himself and suffer the consequences if it doesent work out or gets too scary

so the thread started with one idea and the whole thing mutated into something more sensible

when i got back he and i spent the afternoon working out what was wrong with his existing bike (jeez, what a shame how some of the stuff is broken by clear abuse rather than accidents or wear), making a list, going shopping and then doing the work ourselves

new grips, brake levers salvaged from old bike, new front wheel, new inner tube, new brake pads and cables all round. lube and adjust of everything. took the cables off along with the gear change levers, removed the mashed front changer and left the rear floating. to change gear he has to stop and gets his hands dirty - is not a fixie or single speed. if he wants to enjoy remote control gear changing we can install the parts but he needs to know the value of them so they dont get mashed

whatever, we had a blast doing the work and his face was a picture when he arrived back from the test ride

misterbleepy

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 05:35 AM »

I've only just seen this thread, so this advice is too late really, but as no-one has mentioned this, I'll go ahead anyway.

A while back I was in the position of having an old bike with the gears all out of kilter, and without the time to fix it, and subsequently maintain it.

I decided to replace it, but to replace it with something that would require little or no maintenance to kkep it going. So I replaced it with a bike with a hub gear system, rather than another bike with derailleur gears.

I now have a bike that only has 8 speeds, but they cover a wide enough range for my needs. All the gears are sealed in the back hub, the bike has a single front sprocket and a single rear sprocket. So far, the only maintenance I have had to do is to occasionally adjust the chain tension as the chain slowly stretches/wears over time. The gear changing has so far not missed a beat with zero maintenance in over 12 months.

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 06:45 AM »

... I now have a bike that only has 8 speeds, but they cover a wide enough range for my needs ...

18,21,24 speeds, there is a lot of overlap on those and frankly past those racing or training how many riders use more then 8 of those gears? If you have a low enough gear to get you over the hills you may have and to let you stretch it out going down the back side it's good. I've been looking at those multi gear hubs with intrest, I don't get on the road bikes anymore but still enjoy a bit of Mt Biking. How is the low range on them, can I get close to a 1 to 1 ratio? Truthfully I could go with a pretty small front chainwheel anyway since it's just some casual single tracking and rock hopping that I do, I really don't need a top end since I'd rather enjoy the scenery.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
misterbleepy

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 08:56 AM »

How is the low range on them, can I get close to a 1 to 1 ratio?

One of the ways they describe the gear ratios in the hub gear is as a multiplier to whatever ratio you have with the selected front and rear cogs - for example, the Shimao Alfine hub I have has the following multipliers:

1st:0.527; 2nd:0.644; 3rd:0.748; 4th:0.851; 5th:1.00; 6th:1.223; 7th:1.419; 8th:1.615

There are 2 matching Alfine front chainrings available - 39 teeth and 45 teeth, and rear sprockets are available with between 18 and 22 teeth.

If you went for the lowest possible gearing (39T front and 22T rear) then 1st gear would be a little lower than 1:1 (22T on rear, and front equivalent to 20.5 teeth)

If you want to work out all the possibilities, you can use a gear ratio calculator that is pre-programmed with the various gear hubs available - I use this web based one:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/internal.html

If money is no object, then the 'Rolls-Royce' of gear hubs is the Rohloff - 14 evenly spaced steps over a wide range, and allegedly unbreakable. I would expect it costs over $1,000 in the USA.

kitelover

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 09:29 AM »

They don't use "gear inches" anymore when talking about gearing? The tire size had to be considered also as it refered to the distance travelled with one crank revolution. I remember high gear was usually around 100-102 inches.
misterbleepy

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 09:48 AM »

That web based gear calculator will output gear inches, metres of development, something called gain ratio, and the speed (in MPH or KPH) at a number of different cadences.

To me, metres of development makes the most sense (the no. of metres travelled per revolution of the pedal) but then we are a little metricated on this side of the pond ;-)

sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 09:48 AM »

It sounds like you came to a very sensible solution, David.
Your son will learn valuable skills by repairing his own bike and learning the expense of neglecting maintenance and careless use.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum