GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 08:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond kite stacking question  (Read 1833 times)
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: September 11, 2010, 05:14 PM »

Hi all,

It all started with a European grocery chain store 'special', a series of kites (7 designs) for $5 each...

Curiosity got the better of me and I popped down to grab a few examples to check em out.

The long and short of it is that I now own (quite) a few duplicate diamond kites that are 120cm tall that fly with decent stability, at worst I was thinking that they would be a good background for a photo or 2, but....

I have another idea... and here's the question, can you stack and set of 'standard' diamond kites?

OK to help I'll give a brief description of how these ones are put together:

The sail is made slightly smaller than the frame to generate a natural bow to the spine and cross spares (x2 inserted into a cross fitting)

the spars are solid 5mm fiberglass rods

Standard 2 point bridal attached 10% down from the tip and up 40% from the tail, fitted through metal eyelets and tied to spine.

The only way I can see it 'easily done' (no mods to the sails) would be to attach each kite directly to the spine of the kite before it (with a bit of space between them), would this work or is there more to it (I suspect I'm missing something)?

regards,

Shannon

WinterDaze AoF
dadecitykiter
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 07:28 PM »

Burn a hole throught the skins of the lower kites where the spine and cross-spar meet. You might want to reinforce with a piece of sticky backed dacron.
Make a short pig tail for each kite and attach it to the spine and cross-spar of each kite at this point.Use a larks-head knot.
Pass your flying line through the holes and larkshead the pig tails to it.
Attach the top kite with the two point bridle.
Top kite is the pilot the rest are just there for the ride.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:58 PM »

Caution!!

This may happen to you

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3821.0

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:49 PM »

Give one a try and see if it'll fly off the cross point with some stability, the stack will help stabilize the kites to some degree and anchoring a stack at the top with a stable lifter will help a lot too and is an acceptable alternative in a stack. But if there is no sign of stability from the cross point you'll have to search along the spine for a good spot. You can't easily stack kites with a two point bridle, it requires cutting pass through holes in the sail for the line and finding the proper proper place for that hole is another difficulty.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
WinterDaze

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:30 AM »

Thanks guys for your help here, I followed your method DadecityKiter with 3 of them just to see if they would play together, one as a lifter and 2 larks headed on to the line.

Wind wasn't ideal (about 20+ knots) I think they're going to happier in 10-15 knots

But as a proof of concept, I think I can look to scaling it up Cool

Next question lets look at line strength...

I had the 3 on a 60 lb line and I think I was possibly lucky I didn't get a gust. There's quite a bit of pull going on  Roll Eyes

I have another 5 I can string on (and if I go crazy there might be another 6 'pirates' of the same design, I could alternate them maybe)

[attachment deleted by admin]

WinterDaze AoF
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 05:41 AM »

What was the distance between the kites, Shannon?...............and how did you determine what you'd start with?

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
WinterDaze

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:04 AM »

lol Jim,

That's the question you shouldn't have asked  Undecided

OK sitting in my comfy chair I took a spool of fishing line (60 lb spectra), knowing they're 120cm tall I went "I think the first one's supposed to get clear of the ground" so 6 or 7 arm lengths of line then loop for larks head and for the second one I went for 3 and a bit arm lengths... (I was going for about 1.5-2 kite lengths between)

Techie huh  Grin

It was just for proof of concept, but Jim, I'm happy to hear wise words at this stage, I'm making it up as I go to a fair degree  Smiley (as usual)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:10 AM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
WinterDaze

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 07:43 AM »

Mike, I swear, that post had nothing to do with my decision to play....

honest...

WinterDaze AoF
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:49 AM »

lol Jim,

OK
It was just for proof of concept, but Jim, I'm happy to hear wise words at this stage, I'm making it up as I go to a fair degree  Smiley (as usual)

Sorry.......I wasn't even trying to be a wise A**....................I figured there was a theoretical concept and was trying to glean answers should we ever have a like concept. (even though you can't buy any kind of kite here in the states for 5 bucks much less a good sized bunch of them)  Maybe your way is best.........comfy chair , a cold brew,........?

thanks,
Jim

PS:  Really like the way they look, kinda reminds me of Smiley
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:52 AM by Kantaxel » Logged

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
WinterDaze

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 08:19 AM »

lol Jim,

OK

Sorry.......I wasn't even trying to be a wise A**....................I figured there was a theoretical concept and was trying to glean answers should we ever have a like concept. (even though you can't buy any kind of kite here in the states for 5 bucks much less a good sized bunch of them)  Maybe your way is best.........comfy chair , a cold brew,........?

thanks,
Jim

PS:  Really like the way they look, kinda reminds me of Smiley

Wink I was as surprised as most would be that my rough and ready set up actually worked first go, luck is a funny thing sometimes  Smiley

I'm still happy to hear good tips though, just in case this deal turns up in their local area, as a hint it was a very small addition to the local catalog.

And for $5 well what do you get for a fiver these days? you certainly don't expect a half decent looking kite that works, so I'm with you on that as well!

WinterDaze AoF
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 10:25 AM »

Speaking of Stacks: Rhonda and I got to participate in a record setting fly during WSIKF a few weeks ago. Team Suspended Animation graciously allowed us to get into the fray with them and successfully broke the record for most box kites in a stack, 115 breaking the old record of 111, they have 211 but the anchor we were on shouldn't of had that many kites tied to it and the wind was coming up. These were not small kites though as you can see in the third picture taken while bringing them down. I haven't gotten the link to the "Official" film yet, I'll post it when they get it up.

So why is this relevant? Well Shannon this started modestly too & grew, a road trip to every Costco throughout Washington and Oregon to buy every available kite and $4k later this is where you end up.  Wink  You can see a few of the other stacks and arches in the background too. There were thousands of kites in the air that day, but only a few dozen lines  Cheesy

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:30 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
WinterDaze

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 12:46 AM »

Hmmm Mike, I can see the parallel  Smiley

So wind was low enough today to try a few more on the lines. I've revised my line configuration, I'm using this format now and it does make them easier to manage. I'm still using a rough 2 times kite length per spacing and the lifter is a good 5m clear of the next one down the line.

Any suggestions on whats a safe practical line strength? The pull is getting up there.

WinterDaze AoF
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 01:08 AM »

6 down, 294 to go

I love stacking anything I can, here's 11 Peter Powels

Some more of my stacks

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document