GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 07:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's flying the Focus kites......  (Read 1977 times)
Roadshadowww
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 12, 2010, 05:21 PM »

Took some time to look over the vendors and saw the Focus kites.    Nice site and nice looking pieces.

Anybody flying the Hydra and or others.  Mind giving me your .02 on their performance and quailty say conpared to the Widow Makers.

Thanks,
Bob C.
lummas
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 08:19 PM »

Have had the pleasure to fly the Jinx a few times and have to say I love it.  So much so, that the wife and I are considering them as our next team/pair kites.  Very well made, great control and responsiveness.  Lots of capablity.

All round fun kite.

Mark
Too Much Fun
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:40 PM »

the WM isn't close to the Jinx for pairs or team flying. but the Jinx can't touch the WM in tricks. Not at all.

The Hydra vs the WM? Go with the WM, it'll do more and is more forgiving. The WM also has a UL version too, so you're not just limited to a std kite.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mdilucca
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:37 PM »

I'm looking forward to buy an Focus Echo as soon I can find one  Tongue

Cheers
Mario

Cheers
Mario

Vmo

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:17 AM »

I bought a Hydra and I love it!  I am kind of new, and havn't flown a lot of kites, but I have flown the prism nexus, quantum, and E3.  The Hydra is a very well built kite and I have been able to learn new tricks very easy with the Hydra. It is the only one that I pull out now.
esteveskan
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08 AM »

I have 3 Focus kites:  Reflection, Echo, & Skate.  Build quality on all 3 is very good.  The Echo is a great little low wind, 0 wind kite.  I am still learning on the Skate as a glider - certainly a different way to fly.  Haven't had a chance to try the indoor Reflection. Steve
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 11:26 AM »

Anybody flying the Hydra and or others.  Mind giving me your .02 on their performance and quailty say conpared to the Widow Makers.

I have both the WM and the Hydra. I like them both, but find myself flying the Hydra quite a bit more than the WM. Both are built very well. The Hydra is smaller than the WM and takes smaller inputs. It took me a bit to get used to it, but once I did, that was it. It is about all I pull out when I get the time to fly a trick kite these days. Fun kite.

See ya,
Bill
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 12:13 PM »

Hi Bob,

I'm a Focus fan (as anyone here can tell you!) 

I've written about the Hydra and the Jinx

I don't have first-hand experience with the Widowmaker, so I can't offer a comparison.  But, for the majority of last year, the first kite out of my bag was the Hydra.  This year, I split my time a bit more evenly between the Hydra (when I just want to play around and fly freestyle) and the Jinx (when I'm having a more serious session and want to work on my inputs or my routines). 

The build quality is outstanding, these are some of the most durable kites I've ever flown.  I have yet to break anything more serious than a micro-fiberglass wingtip batten on any of my full-size Focus kites. 
Roadshadowww

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:21 PM »

Spoke to the Focus folks and no Hydras available right now.

Did locate a Red/blk/white WM that I'm planning on picking up tomorrow.

Still waiting on replacement spars for my FireBee, but have two other kites to enjoy.

Thanks for everybody's inputs, excellent info.
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:27 AM »

I flew the Hydra at Wildwood 2009 for awhile - nothing in my mind yet surpasses the Sea Devil or Fearless kite family but the Hydra came very close. No real negatives in tracking or tricks. A solid purchase at the price tag in my opinion. I guess I would consider it a top end mid-priced custom kite. A winner.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:31 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
winfre

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 12:24 PM »

Does any body have some news from the Focus team ? Are they still on the road ?
There's no more news on there blog since may and I've no answer through the mail.  Undecided
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 01:57 PM »

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=4073.msg37076#msg37076
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change