GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 04:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EXILE OR WIDOW MAKER KITE ??  (Read 2440 times)
oz_kite
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 13, 2010, 02:47 AM »

ok guys,well iv ordered and paid from bris kites on friday a prism 4d kite to muck around with on crap lite no winds days i get here in inland melb ,vic

so,for my next kite as in quality perf kite ,should i buy bm exile or widow maker kite??

keep in mind crap,unruly,inland blasted winds or lack of it that is
its either blowing a gale or no wind at all!!
or what is a quality kite that has a wide wind range ranging from 1 mph up to say 15 mph if there is one of course??

i would get a kite made up as in all black color,some thing diff,prob with 2 red color eyes for looks.
would that look cool ??
thanks
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:55 AM by oz_kite » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 06:39 AM »

I learned on these 2 kites. Both kites are extremely well made and will take a ton of abuse. The Exile will fly in a bit less wind than the Widow Maker but it gets real fast when the wind gets over 8 mph or so. By 15 mph its ballistic. I found the Widow Maker a bit easier to learn tricks on. Either would be a good choice. Personally I'd lean towards the Widow Maker though.
* 1 to 15 mph * You may need a Fearless SUL   Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 06:54 AM »

Widow Maker alllll the way, for your conditions described. Or, because the winds are up and down, try the Mongoose.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
oz_kite

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:03 AM »

HI GUYS
ok,thanks for ya suggestions and info
cheers
 Wink
DaveH
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:43 PM »

+1 for the Widowmaker.  I have the Exile and love it, but its not happy in rough, inland winds.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 01:47 PM »

+2 for the Widowmaker!  If you get one - be prepared to pick up the UL too.

oz_kite

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 01:27 AM »

ok,i will get the widow maker then
thanks for the advice guys
cheers
stapp59
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 02:17 AM »

I have the Exile and love it, but its not happy in rough, inland winds.
Try shortening the bridle uphaul of the Exile Std by 1/2" and see if that helps smooth things out a bit for you.  I really like the bridle there.

To experiment, loosen the cow hitch knot just above the upper spreader connector and tie an extra overhand knot right next to the current stopper knot to shorten the leg. Then pull the knot tight again. The uphaul length should then be 22 1/2" from frame to towpoint larkshead.

If you don't like it, untie the extra knot.

Oh yes, both the Exile and Widowmaker are excellent kites and do well inland.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:58 PM by stapp59 » Logged
oz_kite

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 02:41 AM »

ok then thanks
now,should i just get the standard version and give that a try first??
ta
stapp59
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 03:18 AM »

ok then thanks
now,should i just get the standard version and give that a try first??
ta

For your wind range you will want both the Std and UL.  Conventional wisdom is to get the Std first.  Same advice for either model you pick.
oz_kite

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 03:27 AM »

ok,thanks mate!!!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 07:08 AM »

I have a standard Widowmaker and love it - very forgiving in lumpy winds.  It flies in lighter winds than a standard Exile, it has a very low bottom end for a standard.  The Exile is better at precision, but no less equipped at tricking.  The Exile gets a bit fast in stronger winds.

Both the Widowmaker UL and Exile UL lose a bit in the tricking department (and I mean a bit...i.e. not much!)

Both brands are excellently manufactured.  You won't be disappointed with either choice

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 07:49 AM »

Yep get the standard, as the wind drops I pull off the upper spreader and the tail weight (easy on the Widowmaker, it's Velcro), it will go very low in that form. With those Nitro rods you won't really notice an increased amount of flex and the balance is still pretty good, it'll still roll up fine.

I always wanted to do a Light version, an Ultra Light sail, keep the Nitro's replace the upper spreader with an .1800 and TAPA's and use a P200 spine, probably nick 5 grams off the tail weight. I'm guessing it would do an honest 2.5 mph low end in that format without giving up much in rotational mass or stiffness.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
stapp59
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 09:15 AM »

Yep get the standard, as the wind drops I pull off the upper spreader and the tail weight (easy on the Widowmaker, it's Velcro), it will go very low in that form. With those Nitro rods you won't really notice an increased amount of flex and the balance is still pretty good, it'll still roll up fine.

I always wanted to do a Light version, an Ultra Light sail, keep the Nitro's replace the upper spreader with an .1800 and TAPA's and use a P200 spine, probably nick 5 grams off the tail weight. I'm guessing it would do an honest 2.5 mph low end in that format without giving up much in rotational mass or stiffness.

Interesting.  I like to do something similar - a standard lite.  Take a std sail and frame it as a UL (3PT/P100 LEs). Use TAPA for US and full size APAs for the LSs then swap out 3PT or 5PT LSs based on the winds. If you add a 4th bridle leg, P100 LEs will take Std winds just fine.  Makes for a pretty versatile kite and works well inland. Have done this with Mamba, Mantis, Exile and Mongoose (proto). Paul has done this with the Sano as well.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 12:13 PM »

Lam's Transformer is made like this as well (UL frame, 5pt LS) - they fly very low, but will also take the full wind of a standard just fine.  Personally, I think the UL frame just makes the kite feel better all around.

The trick, I imagine, is making the design so that it easily handles high pressure while also flying great in low pressure as well.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum