GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 09:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exile - spine weight question  (Read 1379 times)
sealcove
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 13, 2010, 03:01 PM »

I have a few good sessions with the Exile Std under my belt, and I am really happy with this kite.  When I got the kite, it had 4 spine weights on it, and I flew with those until I got to practicing fades.  I was having a terrible time with a normal fade entry from a flare; it was really hard getting the kit past vertical.  I removed the weights, and presto, I could instantly enter fades from flares and axles nearly 100% of the time.  I also found that with the weights on I had to be spot on with my axles, or the tail end would want to drop half way through.  Again, without weights I was getting consistent flat axles with no particular effort other than maintaining the stall. 

I assume the pitch differences with the weights will help with roll up tricks, but for me it seems to be at cost against more traditional tricks.  Can anyone who flies the Exile chime with their preferences for setting up this kite?  Is this a fact of life of flying with spine weights (I am new to weights), or do I just need to alter my technique for the different kite setups?

Any pointers would be appreciated, Douglas
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:09 PM »

the weight is your  prefrance but  yes  the ballest  is there for pitch style tricks.  When I got my frist BMK  talked to Ken and he told me   fly it  with out  weight   and add 5 grams at a time till  you  find  your sweet spot   my Muse is still weight free    and  ecah  brass  ring  is  5 grams   hope this helps    us  Old  school flyers  got to stick toghter  Smiley   

Good air always Bobby
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:22 PM »

I preferred my Exile with 15 grams on the tail.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 04:40 PM »

I preferred my Exile with 15 grams on the tail.

+1

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:41 PM »

also, instead of popping the kite into a fade, try a smoother sweeping input to get the kite on its back. this works better especially with weighted kites.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:41 PM »

+2

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 04:44 PM »

I always flew my Exile with 1-3 barrels (mostly 3), but it flys great with no weight at all.  The only issue I noticed there is that you have to work to get one-pop yoyos with no weight on.  With 3 or more, it yoyos like a champ.  I never noticed any issues with getting into fades no matter how much weight I had on it.

The Exile UL on the other hand needs lots of weight in order to one-pop yoyo.  It just does not have the mass - if you put 4-5 on it will yoyo like the standard, but then it lost much of its nice character.  For the UL, I just forgot about one-pops and enjoyed the light wind elegant nature of the kite with just 2 pops which it is excellent at.  

6 kite tom
sealcove

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 05:31 PM »

Thanks for all of the input.  It sounds like I need to experiment both with weight and my flying technique as I change the characteristics of the kite.  The last time I was putting serious time in on any kite, it was with a pre-2000 Prism Illusion, so I expect my technique is full of problems!

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 05:35 PM »

For pitch tricks Four is the sweet spot IMO.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 05:38 PM »

I'd forget about the weights at this point. Everything the Illusion could do and a whole lot more is in the stock Exile. Weights get in the way for lots of tricks, especially old skool stuff like flat spins. Weights are a compromise, you gain easy rollup but lose in other area. Fly the kite a few months before playing with weights.

Allen, AKA kitehead
sealcove

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 05:48 PM »

I'd forget about the weights at this point. Everything the Illusion could do and a whole lot more is in the stock Exile. Weights get in the way for lots of tricks, especially old skool stuff like flat spins. Weights are a compromise, you gain easy rollup but lose in other area. Fly the kite a few months before playing with weights.

That is a really sensible recommendation for where I am at.  I am really just figuring out all of the basics again, and by taking off the weights, everything felt more comfortable.  I think I will spend some time sharpening my abilities with what is a more predictable platform (weight free), and once everything in my range feels second nature, I will start tweaking things.

On a side note, what impact does adding 15-20 grams have on a kites wind range? 
GEB

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 05:58 PM »

For most flying I use 15 grams (3 weights). Four just seems too heavy for me and I like the feel I get with 15 grams or less when flying precision. As the wind drops I go to 5 grams or zero. I get double axels pretty easy with 15 grams though, and the kite floats beautifully in very low winds with zero weight. Some flyers adjust weight and some find their sweet spot and stick with it.
I never would have thought of flying it without weights in 8mph winds until a friend of mine did and he was performing perfectly balanced Jacobís ladders, pancakes and fades. This kite is quite capable of being flown soft and slow or hard and fast and after hundreds of hours on it Iíve come to believe that our flying style has more to do with the number of weights we use than what the kite needs or doesnít need.
Kenís forum on his web site has several recommendations from flyers on weights for the Exile. Check it out.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:03 PM »

I spent alot of time trying 0-5 weights, and ended up using 2-3 weights on the standard. I think I keep one on my UL, but only fly that kite under 5mph, so more weight makes it fly less...

~Rob.

sealcove

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 03:23 PM »

I put in close to three hours with the Exile in great good wind today.  Conditions were a little bit variable, but most of the time I had a reasonably steady 5-8mph breeze.  I flew no weights the entire time, and I was in heaven. For me it made a big difference on the quality of my axles, and for some reason I could get into and hold fades much better with no weights.  I will stick with this configuration until all of my old school tricks are perfect, and then I will start messing around with the effects of weights.

I love this kite!

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 03:34 PM »

You may find that you never put them on, Smiley

I prefer the Muse that way - I just don't do many yo-yos on it.  I have other kites that do those.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document