GWTW Forum
November 25, 2014, 11:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spare Parts  (Read 1348 times)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: September 14, 2010, 01:26 PM »

So I was thinking that I have been really fortunate in my endeavors to have not broken anything yet...on my kites, but I am sure that will end here soon.  Fortunately I do most of my flying on very soft, dry, sand beaches so there is not a lot of damage from lawn darts.

What parts would one recommend having as backups?  What have you in your experiences broken the most frequently?

I have the Prism repair kit and a tube of CA glue already, but I figure that having some rods for my Zephyr and even SilverFox might be smart.  I just want to make sure that I am purchasing rods likely to be broken and not sitting around for a long time.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:41 PM »

Order them when you need them. This from someone with Waaaay too many spare parts.
durangodriftkid
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:56 PM »

Just broke my leading edge and snivvled all the way home  Cry    your so lucky to fly over sand
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:30 PM »

Whatever you buy in replacement parts, do NOT just order 1. Postage sucks for 1 spar.

Over the years, I ordered 6 spars for any size, now whenever something breaks, I just go to the spars cardboard tube and pull out an immediate replacement.

It's not like composites go bad as long as you store them indoors.  Smiley

I agree with Ian's thoughts below. The spares I speak of are for when you get home. Don't waste wind time to fix a kite.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 05:35 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:42 PM »

Don't bother with spares just carry another kite.

I carried loads of spare for years and never really used them except to fix other peoples kites. For myself I'd just get out another kite our rather than waste time swapping LEs or whatever.

justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 05:55 PM »

Good advice all.  Thanks.

Durango, I love my sand and living so near the beach, but the heat and humidity is a bit rough.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:38 PM »

Sand is good to crash on usually, not so good when you have a wingtip buried in it, sometimes just standing the kite up from an on its back position scoops a dangerous amount of sand onto the sail.

As far as spare parts, as stated they are only a few days away usually. But if you still want, a lower leading edge or two, maybe a spine, and a couple ferrules. I've never broken a spreader although some do. The problem is all your kites probably use different spars so your getting a pretty big collection that you may never use.

Something that might be worth the investment though are the parts you're most likely to lose on the field, some standoff material, usually 3mm carbon rod and some end caps to fit, plus some upper spreader replacement material. Nothing is as heartbreaking as pulling your favorite kite out to find something snuck out when you bagged it up last time and standoffs are almost impossible to find in grass, harder yet to locate in sand and they do fall off at times. We did that discussion awhile back and wrapping a stripe of flourescent tape arond them seemed to be a good idea.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:43 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 05:23 AM »

I was in on the florescent tape thing.  Great idea...I have found several lost spreaders with this technique.

I also painted the tail weight on the Zephyr.  I lost that once and after looking for 15 minutes (wind time!!) I found it but painted it Orange when I got home (oh yea...also ordered another!).

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum