GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 07:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it hard to built a stunt kite ???  (Read 2003 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: September 16, 2010, 05:31 PM »

Where to buy a stunt kite's nose piece ?
Do I need a special sewing machine ?

*My kite pal want to built his own kite. I prefer to trick the kite and let the pro to make them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:23 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 05:38 PM »

The same place you buy the rest of the material from.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
indigo_wolf

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:02 PM »

Not a "special" sewing machine, but a well made one.  At the lower price points, older machines are actually better made compared to their modern counterparts (strong motors, simpler to maintain, metal bodies/gears, etc.)

You might find this helpful:
Kite Sewing 101 - AKA Convention 2002

ATB,
Sam
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:00 PM »

Junk yard... seat belt webbing can be used.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:32 AM »

No. However life is much easier if the machine is serviced and set up for sewing ripstop.

Domestic machines will have the tension set for normal clothing fabrics and those settings don't always work well when sewing something really thin like Icarex. I thought I had adjusted my old machine well but when I got the Bernina I use now it was set up at a shop that was familiar with kite making and the difference was noticeable.

Many kitemakers prefer old Pfaff machines, especially those with a walking foot but all you need to get started is a basic straight stitch.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 06:41 AM »

Is it hard to built a stunt kite ?

No, it is hard to Build a kite, once it's Built you tend to look back and wonder why that was so hard  Cheesy  but seriously

No ... all you need to get started is a basic straight stitch.

The last few kites and a 600 foot + tail we've built have been on a New Home machine we got at a garage sale for $5.00 with a bunch of books and fabric included in that price. I prefer having a zig zag and a 3 stitch zig zag but Ian's right, a basic machine will do. Check your thrift stores etc for a decent used machine.

You'll need a snap blade cutter, some decent scissors, a soldering iron or woodburner, a cutting surface, a seam ripper, something to mark fabric with (I prefer tailors chalk there are wash off pens too), and I get a lot of use out of a 36" or 48" metal ruler.

Past that some patience and research, some good sites out there with step by step instructions, read them. Check out the forum at kitebuilder.com, they are geared more to helping people build kites.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:19 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:14 AM »

Thanks for the tips.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:05 PM »

I've got to think so!  I spent 3 hours building a new bridle board and bridle yesterday. 

Granted this was my first time and I imagine that the next one will only take me 15 minutes, but it took much more time than I thought it would.  And this is just a bridle copy - not a new design.  It looks like the worn original as near as I can tell, I'll see how it flys this weekend!  Smiley

Making a whole kite - it would take me a month.

6 kite tom
DWayne

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 02:02 PM »

How hard it is? Well that depends.
To design and build a stunt kite that will fly = easy
To design and build a stunt kite you would want to fly = rather hard
To design and build a stunt kite others would want to fly = very hard
To design and build a stunt kite that people will wait months for and pay big bucks to get (considering there's only a handful of people in world doing it) = nigh on impossible.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 01:18 PM »

I've got to think so!  I spent 3 hours building a new bridle board and bridle yesterday. 
  And this is just a bridle copy - not a new design.  It looks like the worn original as near as I can tell, I'll see how it flys this weekend!  Smiley

Wow - it is tough to make an accurate copy of a bridle.  My big challenge was that I went from using 90# line to 150#, so the extra diameter comes into play when doing larks head and knots attaching to the LEs. 

Anyhow, I finally got it sorted out and just test-drove the new bridle in 14-19mph of wind and it works like a dream!  Actually, everything feels the same except for the Taz.  Somehow, my new bridle seems to go nose up more readily which helps to more easily hit that trick.  It makes no sense to me as the bridle dimensions when attached to the kite are exactly that of the original - perhaps I am just getting better at the Taz!  Smiley

-Tom

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography