GWTW Forum
December 10, 2016, 08:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: building a Matrix Strong  (Read 19839 times)
Krijn
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: August 21, 2016, 02:58 PM »

Remember this one:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=13324.0?

And this one:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=13527.0?

I like the STD a lot, and also the UL. Both fly the same-ish. Nice easy Taz, deep and stable Backflip, Lazies, Cyniques and - I always like that! - a fast Yoyo (especially for the UL). The UL flies easy in SUL-winds.

I'm building a Matrix Strong right now.

I will talk about the frame later (when I'll frame the kite), for now the sail.
I've designed the STD with orange, white, darkgrey and a bit of brown. For the UL I took gold, white, light grey and some light brown (skin).
For this one I took off course red, white, black and dark brown.
All three kites will have some fluor yellow on the back. Is very nice when you are tricking the kite!

The black is not Icarex, but laminated black mylar (quite expensive stuff). Is heavy, but no problem for a high wind kite.
I "made" the dark brown by making an extra layer: around the standoffs there is (from back to front) fluor yellow Chikara, 75gr mylar, skin Chikara and brown Chikara. (Not Icarex, just because it is not available in those brownish colours).

Some pics of the built so far:

Still have to do the nose and the reinforcement on the front (tail to centrecross).

Krijn
Krijn

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:44 PM »

Sail is done.

Maybe you already have mentioned it, but I always use masking tape to mark the important positions of the Apa's and centrescross. And also the yoyostopper.
I use the stripes on the tape to mark the positions for the holes in the leading edge (which I always make round) and also on the centrecross.
As soon as I've glued the stoppers in place (after framing), I peal the tape off.

The pictures are very bad quality, but still give an impression.

Krijn
Krijn

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 11:11 AM »

hey, the kite is finished and is flying
i'll update this thread soon

Smiley
Krijn

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 12:39 PM »

Ok, here we go again:

So I made the sail quite heavy; the laminated mylar is 80gr/m2. But no problem, because I planned the kite to be a Strong version.
The designers of the STD and UL made the leading edge typical.
STD: ULE P100 and LLE P3X
UL: ULE P90 and LLE P2X
So the LLE is much heavier than the ULE. I wanted to try something similar for the Strong.

A few months ago I bought a bunch of second and third choice Nitro rods. Someway they were wrong. Like only 81.5 cm in stead of 82.5 cm and without print. The second choices are full strength, but for the third choices it is not garanteed. I nevertheless bought a few (lot), especially because Nitro's are normally 17.25 here, but the second choices went for 6.50 and the third ones even 3.95!
I discovered that the third choices Nitro's were also a lot heavier than normal ones (25 grams in stead of 17.5), and the second choices were the same. So there was my cheap frame: ULE: second choice Nitro and LLE: third choice Nitro. The spreaders also third ones and for the spine I had a P300 somewhere for the spine.

Next problem, I had this problem created befor. I tried to glue a ferrule into a second choice Nitro, but when I pushed the glued ferrule in, it only went in 3 cm in stead of 5 cm. On the pictureyou can see I tried to pull it out using a tongs. But the superglue already did its work...
I decided to cut the thick end of the Nitro, just the 3 cm's. It worked.

Framing went ok. But here is a "trick" I often use: I never use the place of the upperspreaderpatch from the plans. In my experience it is always a bit off. I always frame the kite first, then mark the right spot and take the spine out. Now it is a bit of a struggle, but it will fit under my sewing machine.

If you do it like this, it will be on the exact right place.

The kite looks great next to his two brothers.

All three with the fluor yellow on the back.

Gold-orange-red.

And of course I had to make an extra bag. (I know, OCD.)

Krijn
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:47 PM by Krijn » Logged
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 12:48 PM »

Tribal  look for those three.

Good stuff

Mike
Krijn

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 01:00 PM »

So how does the Strong fly?

I had a testsession in stronger winds (but not too much) in Den Helder (Tricksparty) and a week later in the South of France (Masters of Europe) in STD-winds.
First of all: we (friends also had a try) tried to break the third choice Nitro's in LLE and spreader by spiking the kite and do firm tricking, but nothing broke. Nice.

The Matrix Strong flies like the STD. In the tricks, the timing is the same and the characteristic points of the STD are still there. I mean thing like a fast Yoyo, good Taz, and overall transitions in the tricks.
Precision is the same (not very good, but that it also the case with the STD), good lines, not much oversteer. But because the kite is a bit heavy (353 grams to 279 for the STD), corners are a bit loose.
The kite does feel a bit cumbersome now and then. Maybe I have to put a bit less weight in it (now 24 grams).

But for this experiment, I'm satisfied.
Maybe I will tune the kite a bit, but please give me some time.

As always, I'm hoping a movie will follow. Maybe one featuring all three. Be patient.

Krijn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom