Ok, here we go again:
So I made the sail quite heavy; the laminated mylar is 80gr/m2. But no problem, because I planned the kite to be a Strong version.
The designers of the STD and UL made the leading edge typical.
STD: ULE P100 and LLE P3X
UL: ULE P90 and LLE P2X
So the LLE is much heavier than the ULE. I wanted to try something similar for the Strong.
A few months ago I bought a bunch of second and third choice Nitro rods. Someway they were wrong. Like only 81.5 cm in stead of 82.5 cm and without print. The second choices are full strength, but for the third choices it is not garanteed. I nevertheless bought a few (lot), especially because Nitro's are normally €17.25 here, but the second choices went for €6.50 and the third ones even €3.95!
I discovered that the third choices Nitro's were also a lot heavier than normal ones (25 grams in stead of 17.5), and the second choices were the same. So there was my cheap frame: ULE: second choice Nitro and LLE: third choice Nitro. The spreaders also third ones and for the spine I had a P300 somewhere for the spine.
Next problem, I had this problem created befor. I tried to glue a ferrule into a second choice Nitro, but when I pushed the glued ferrule in, it only went in 3 cm in stead of 5 cm. On the pictureyou can see I tried to pull it out using a tongs. But the superglue already did its work...
I decided to cut the thick end of the Nitro, just the 3 cm's. It worked.
Framing went ok. But here is a "trick" I often use: I never use the place of the upperspreaderpatch from the plans. In my experience it is always a bit off. I always frame the kite first, then mark the right spot and take the spine out. Now it is a bit of a struggle, but it will fit under my sewing machine.
If you do it like this, it will be on the exact right place.
The kite looks great next to his two brothers.
All three with the fluor yellow on the back.
And of course I had to make an extra bag. (I know, OCD.)