GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 12:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how long are your lines?  (Read 1425 times)
flyjay77
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 24, 2010, 12:33 AM »

You may know now that I am an old school guy getting back into flying and learning a lot that I have been missing over the past 20 years of not flying , Back in the day flying the SF Bay area we used a lot of 150' 200# line , Kevlar was used a lot . and had Sky Claws back than for handles and winders . but it seemed that most of the lines was around 150 feet long . now I am seeing 100-115 feet , why shorter ? is longer better or shorter better . Just wondering .

Jason

Jason Pearson
Shorline Park Mt. View Ca.
1987-1990 pilot
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 01:35 AM »

To paraphrase an answer about how long a man's legs shoud be attributed by many to Abe Lincoln:

Your lines have to be long enough to reach the kite.

The shortest regularly flown lines I've seen are 50' (Dean Parsons)

The longest regularly flown lines I've seen are 130' (Ken & Rose)

( 50' + 130' ) / 2 = 90'

So draw a Bell Curve centered on 90' and call 4 standard deviations down 50' and 4 S.D. up 130'.

That's what most people fly and by that percentage. Hope that helps.  Smiley

Exceptions exist for indoor flying, my photo lines of 15' and 30' and for 1 fellow here on the Forum who looks for wind up around 200'.  Huh
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:38 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:13 AM »

Back in the day flying the SF Bay area we used a lot of 150' 200# line , Kevlar was used a lot . and had Sky Claws back than for handles and winders

That's not old school, that's Old Testament  Wink

We sort of covered this subject here but the shift to shorter lines came with we starting "tricks" (widely seen as a mistake but waddya gonna do). Shorter lines give a more direct contact to the kite, less slop in the lines due to sag, which is important when you're banging the kite around.

However.... line length is almost entirely a matter of personal preference. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 03:38 AM »

Well, let's close this thread already.  This question should have been answered with links to past threads, or a search function tutorial.   Cheesy

Just a joke aimed at Mike.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:41 AM »

Longer lines are still used in competition and team flying, not often up to our old 150' lengths but 125'-130' is common. Ballet routines still benifit from the larger space of longer lines.

Shorter lines also have the benifit of making our fields larger, back in the day you wouldn't get many fliers on the field with 150' lines, 75' doubles our space and anytime I'm in a very restricted area I grab a quick responding kite with a tight turning radius and the 50' lines, the last 2 out of three times in fact.

My preference is 75', the longest that I use regularly are 85' with 5' leaders and they feel long to me anymore.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:45 AM »

I use 100 to 125 ft. I used to fly on 75 to 85 ft but as I got better at striging tricks together iIfoud that my window from top to bottom was to small. Side to side was no problem but the longer lins gave me the sapce needed to put long combos toghter.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 11:31 AM »

To paraphrase an answer about how long a man's legs shoud be attributed by many to Abe Lincoln:

Your lines have to be long enough to reach the kite.
Luv it!   Kiss ...and gonna use it!

As a dark-sider... I have been having fun with my 250' lines!

What a window and fun watching on-lookers trying to figure out where it's coming from when I'm dancing over their heads!  Cheesy

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:05 PM »

When working on a new trick, and doing the walk of shame several times....my lines start to get shorter. Smiley

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 12:34 PM »

While I do think longer is generally better (more sky to play in) I most often fly on 75' just because of the places I fly. Give me a wide open beach and I've got 125's on.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Nitrobex

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 12:41 PM »

I like shorter lines 20 50 75 85 100 those are the lengths in my bag

"No it is not out of control, I am making it do those flips and turns."
kitechick
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 01:56 PM »

Shorter lines make it easier for old eyes to see the kite. I wouldn't know, of course  Cool
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 05:06 PM »

For standards, and most of my UL kites, I normally fly on 125' lines. If the wind gets very low I'll switch to 100' lines. I really like the added space longer lines give me.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
sealcove
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 05:56 PM »

I rarely fly on anything longer than 65', there justs are not many places around here where I have room to fly longer lines.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography