GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 04:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Line - Best knot to use - Easiest  (Read 3944 times)
ghfisanotti
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 05:44 PM »

I agree with most of the fine guys here suggesting replacing a broken line, but what I generally do with a line that is broken in the middle due to friction with other pilots lines or some sharp obstacle (you know, trees, columns, things like that) is repair it using a blood knot (look for instructions here: http://www.netknots.com/html/blood_knot.html), it is easy enough to be tied on the field and it could save the day if you don't happen to have a spare line at hand. Then I usually leave this line set in my bag as a spare or to donate it to some beginner pilot to get him out of those heavy dacron lines that come with some beginner kites. Anyway, in my experience, this knot is very resisting once you learn to tie it well, particularly if you have a lighter at hand and can melt the ends once tied. I've seen one of these  lines I repaired being flown in quite strong winds without slipping or breaking the line again.
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 05:57 PM »

Usually in the summer here in NJ I fly before the crowds head to the beach so I am out there on the weekends around 7:00AM. So the winds are very light  at this time sometimes just 0.5 mph or so ... sometimes so light I will start out with a Benson Inner Space move to Lam's Tattoo then a SD-SULUL,Light, etc.  So in this kite transition I usually stay with the 50# lines to the SD-Light. Sometimes I fly anywhere from 50' for some fast tricking to 80' custom lines which is my preferred length. The beach width can't handle 100' particularly at high tide. It could but it would be difficult with the beach walkers and dogs in AP. This is the only reason I was looking for some quick knot ... if the line breaks at the loop or handle for me I can handle the break ... if its in the middle ... I usually trash the line. I like this Norm knot and will give it a go for the END BREAKS.

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 01:19 AM »

+1 to everybody's posts, but. . . when I was first trained as a "sailor" a LONG time ago, I was taught that the strongest bond between two lines, after a splice, was two bowlines looped together with a reef knot. You tie one bowline, weave the other line through it into a reef knot -- NOT a granny knot!! -- then finish the second loop into a bowline. Slide the bowlines around until they're centered, and there you are.

No, I've never actually repaired flying lines that way.

Norm in Toronto
ghfisanotti
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 02:06 PM »

I agree with most of the fine guys here suggesting replacing a broken line I've seen one of these  lines I repaired being flown in quite strong winds without slipping or breaking the line again.
After you repaired them with the blood knot and they worked in quite strong winds without slipping or breaking again: Why would you want to replace them?

Because a knot in the middle of one of the lines means a lot of drag on the other line when the lines are twisted and you are trying to trick.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum