GWTW Forum
February 18, 2019, 07:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Travel Magnet (T-Magnet) Review  (Read 1136 times)
HiNator86
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: December 11, 2018, 07:38 AM »

I got out and flew the T-Magnet (Travel Magnet). I was a little nervous about getting it out and flying it because I'm don't like doing tricks. I mainly fly in figure 8's or loops. I think most of the tricks look like random falling besides an axle. But I haven't learned to do an axle yet. Some of you may wonder why I bought a trick kite? I bought it for the size of the kite overall and the size it packs down to. It packs very small!! Sorry for the rabbit trail. Back to the T-Magnet.

Assembly:
 I pulled it out and it went together just like any other kite, took me a little longer than normal, but it was a new kite and has more pieces. Although it has more pieces, it was very normal to put together, the pieces just made sense at where they went. I has a little difficult with the yo-yo stoppers, but I got it. When you put the leading edges (LE) together, you need to force the LE back through the zip tie that holds the yo-yo stopper on. If the zip ties are tight, it may be a little difficult.

Build:
All the spars and spreaders were cut clean and neat. The stitching was very well done, nice, and tight. It was cold out 27ish degrees F (-3 C), so I didn’t look over it much, but I was very happy on how it looked and felt when going together. The center piece of the lower spreader may be an issue with the way it is attached, but it also may not. The center piece of the lower spreader is tied on with bridle line. Line does wear out, but look at how many old kites have bridle line for sail or spine tension, and how often do you replace that line? Maybe every 5, 10, or 15 years?? Maybe never? With good quality line this shouldn’t be an issue for a while. Another example of a similar setup is the Delta Hawk. That has an O-ring holding the spreader in place.

Flying:
I flew in about 5-8ish MPH winds (I didn't actually meter it) and on 220# by 100' HQ Dyneema lines. Maybe a bit over kill, but that was my nicest set of lines.
Now for the flying. I launch it and it took right off! It was nice and smooth in the air. I was very clean and crisp when turning. It is very elegant when flying. Sense it is not a Thor's Hammer, it took my input very well. I had to retrain myself to not use big inputs! I was over steering a lot. I would do loops and would over loop too far! I enjoyed flying it and I haven't really enjoyed the smaller kites very much, so I was actually surprised! This kite will now be a main stay in my main kite bag. I enjoyed this kite so much I ordered 130# by 100' HQ Dyneema lines today that with stay with the T-Magnet! I just need to find a nice set of wrist straps to go with it, or I have a set of finger straps that maybe next time I'll see if I like them!

Disassembly:
I landed the kite and walked back to my truck. I started to disassembly it and it came apart just like any other kite. It took a fuzz longer due to the 3-piece leading edge and 2-piece spine, but it was still easy to disassemble. Now for the part that I need to work on, the folding to get back in the bag. I started folding and it wasn’t folding up for me very well. I had to open it up a few times and look at the fold marks to get it back folded the right way. This took a bit, but with practice I will get better and then it will be a non-issue.

Here are some main Pros and Con trying to keep an open mind:
Pros:
It packs small and light (not like a Hammer or NSR or Hawaiian)
It goes together easy
It flies like a dream (very elegant when flying, like a Thor's Hammer),
Cons:
It does feel a little heavier (heavier than a normal trick kite, doesn't bother me)
It does take a little bit more time to assemble and disassemble (doesn't bother me)
It doesn't fold up fast (it takes some practice and patience to get it folded up, I haven't mastered that yet)

Yes, I know I said it was heavy and light (as you are handling the kite, not flying), but I'm trying to compare what I'm used to and a what others might be used to. I did fly it on heavy lines that would have affected the way it flew, but that is what I had, and it flew very well on those lines. I also cannot begin to even start to tell you how trick-able it is, because I cannot trick. I do not like to watch/control the kite in “random falling.” I enjoy the loops and figure 8’s.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you to Krijn for making it for me! I can't wait to fly it again!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:46 AM by HiNator86 » Logged

The Bigger the Better!!
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL North Shore Radical 99”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Crystal Kite Chainlink 93"
Prism Hypnosist 93”
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+33)

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 08:04 AM »

Thanks for the info  Wink

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 08:18 AM »

Nice review!! Put it in a turtle. Might change your mind and you'll start turtling your Thor now and again  Grin. Agree random falling sucks. A lot of broken parts in the beginning. Now not so random and broken parts are getting further apart. Some of those big kites ya got really are tricky. The video of a Thor doing a 1/2 axle is what makes me want one. Other things first though. Got a HQ 130# x 100' set. As time has passed like it better than my 3 different Prism sets. Not as smooth but less stretch. Won't buy anything but LPG or Shanti from now on. The more I fly the more I can tell the difference between my LPG sets and the others. It's starting to bother me. Doing things close to the ground on the inferior sets makes things a little more RANDOM LOL.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
DD
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 08:43 AM »

It might be worth going to a shorter and lighter line set and that might reduce some of the heavy.
Really interested in the travel aspect and how it stacks up against other kites i have
glad you are liking it!

Sine Metu!
HiNator86

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:51 AM »

I was more talking to the kite itself being heavy just in handling it not flying. Sorry for the confusion. I'll update the review to make it more clear.

Nator
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:32 AM by HiNator86 » Logged

The Bigger the Better!!
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Prism Hypnosist 93”
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 03:26 AM »

It might be worth going to a shorter and lighter line set and that might reduce some of the heavy.
Really interested in the travel aspect and how it stacks up against other kites i have
glad you are liking it!

The STD Magnet benefits from lighter line sets. I fly my Magnet STD with 25 dAn or 38 dAn linesets

midibot

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15 PM »

Nice review -- kinda fun seeing who it was made for after the initial teasers Wink

In respect of disassembly and packing up: it occurs to me that it might be useful to have a second, full-sized case to carry the kite in for 'home' (or non-travel) use. That way, the kite can be kept with leading edges fully assembled on occasion, which would also address, or at least mitigate, the packing up point you raise.

The thought is of little or no use if the kite is intended solely and exclusively for travel, I suppose, but even at destination one might want to leave it partially assembled at times. Eh?

Fly your pants off
HiNator86

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 02:51 AM »

Nice review -- kinda fun seeing who it was made for after the initial teasers Wink

In respect of disassembly and packing up: it occurs to me that it might be useful to have a second, full-sized case to carry the kite in for 'home' (or non-travel) use. That way, the kite can be kept with leading edges fully assembled on occasion, which would also address, or at least mitigate, the packing up point you raise.

The thought is of little or no use if the kite is intended solely and exclusively for travel, I suppose, but even at destination one might want to leave it partially assembled at times. Eh?

That is a really good idea! I may just do that!
Thanks
Nator

The Bigger the Better!!
L1 Thor’s Hammer 163”
FW Pandora 133”
Albatross Firefox 130”
TT Big Hawk 126”
NTK Firestorm 120”
TOTL Spin-off 96”
TOTL Hawaiian 96”
Skynasaus Slicer 96"
BMK Mamba 95”
Prism Hypnosist 93”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum
Our forum is made possible by the support of the members of our community.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites