GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mongoose Mini-Review  (Read 7421 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: September 21, 2010, 04:16 PM »

I have now flown Mark's Mongoose on 2 occasions.

If you just go by specs, the Mongoose is very similar in size to a Mantis and about 4 inches shorter in height than a Mamba. I have very little time on a Mantis, so can't really comment on a comparison to it. I do have a fair amount of time on my Mamba and the Mongoose is more forgiving, builds up speed less quickly and tricks a bit quicker. They both track very well.

Build Quality: Ken McNeill
Panel Layout: 18 panels (same as the Mamba) but with a bold "lightning bolt" cutting throught the "normal" panels (I have already spent too much time with the colorizer for this one)

The first time I flew the Mongoose was Friday night in low wind. There were 3 kites in the air at the time:
1 Talon UL
2 Vendetta UL (incorrectly originally stated as WM UL)
3 Mongoose std

Yesindeedy, the Mongoose with that Nitro frame exposes a lot of rigid sail and was flying gracefully in UL conditions. The Mongoose has a fairly long spine which must act as an excellent stabilizer, as there are no standoffs near the wingtips to add tracking as on the Mamba.

First and foremost, this kite is meant to fly. It feels a bit like the offspring of the AirFX and Mamba. Certainly a worthy heritage. I found myself wanting to practice my lines and figures, which have really deteriorated over the last several years.

Tricks:

The question on all you flippers and floppers on the Forum. I flew the kite with stock bridle, no yoyo stoppers and 2 of the 4 tail weights. This is not a jerk-and-watch-it-do-something-kite. The set up needs to be more deliberate and the lines tended more throughout the trick. It's almost more of flying the kite through the trick with just enough slack to get it through some transitions.

I was able to do a few roll-ups and unwind from the over rotated Jacob's Ladder entry. The kite does barrel-rolls instead of backspins. Darren did some Comete cycles on it. They were slow enough to recognize each input, which I liked. The kite will easily do 1 or 2 pop cascades slowly. In fact all tricks are done at a leisurely pace where you can watch what is happening. The timing is very different than a Talon type kite.

Hopefully Darren can add to this aspect as he is a much better trickster than myself.

New Trick:

Darren did it once, but we didn't know what happened at the time. I've done it twice since then. On the 2nd occasion I flew the Mongoose, winds were around 8 mph and I figured out what Darren had accidentally done that was so cool. The trick works better on lines under 100 feet and close to the ground. Basically it's a fairly flat axel to rolled-up position. I've never seen it before, although I'm sure one of you experts has done it.

1 Get the Mongoose close to the ground.
2 Start an axel, but keep the lines tended closely
3 As the wingtip comes around toward you
4 Bring the lines above the wingtip
5 Let the Mongoose continue around to finish the axel
6 As the nose points toward you
7 Raise the nose of the kite between the lines
8 You now have a rolled-up kite with a twist in the lines to help keep the lines near the nose, which helps since this kite had no yoyo stoppers.

I did it twice, on purpose, once I figured out what had happened to Darren. It's very cool and should allow kites that don't yoyo to get into a wound up flying position.

I'm open to comments on this trick as it is new to me.

Conclusion:

If you want a great flying, well built custom kite that will do tricks slowly and on purpose, this will fit the bill perfectly. It does not hand out tricks, but it will reward you with them when done the way it wants them done.

I'm looking forward to more time on it as this kite demands more of a learning curve in the tricks department. As far as flying, my lines and corners are coming back.

Mark might not get his kite back for a long time.  Wink
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:56 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:17 PM »

The kite does barrel-rolls instead of backspins.

I Agree with everything except the statement above. The Mongoose will certainly do backspins.  Smiley

Thanks for the review John! I still love the pics.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 05:20 PM »

I should have added "in my hands" the kite does barrel rolls.

I'll attempt some backspins next chance I get.

How many weights did you have on the Mongoose? Mine had 2.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:37 PM by chilese » Logged

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:19 PM »

it provides plenty of feedback on the lines even in the lightest wind. without more wind i'd reserve more specific comment.

widowmaker ul didn't make it into the air friday with the broken spar, the other kite the other darren was flying was the vendetta ul.

nice kite though, the mongoose.

Fdeli
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:34 AM »

Devin, I just watched the Mongoose video you did on the BMK website.

I saw several barrel-rolls during the vid and wish I could trick like that, but I didn't see any backspins.

Did you get any video of the Mongoose doing a backspin?

inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 02:48 AM »

New Trick:

Darren did it once, but we didn't know what happened at the time. I've done it twice since then.

We need video  Smiley

I saw several barrel-rolls during the vid and wish I could trick like that, but I didn't see any backspins.

I guess you mean the backspins aren't flat - even the flattest looking BS isn't really that flat when you see it from the side. Generally people don't worry too much about how flat they are these days  Wink  Blame the French influence on kiting but its not like one line is locked onto the LE.

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 05:27 AM »

I second the statements above, which is probably why this convo is being had. Well that solved that one, thanks Mr N.

John, I fly it with 3 weights (probably should of said that earlier), all the way at the bottom of the spine.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:19 AM »

Another Backspin/Barrel Roll discusion?

I've always felt a True BS had the kites wings rotating around on a horizontal plane, that is the nose will rotate 360 degrees pointing away from you half way through the trick, much like a Lazy Susan but started nose toward you. The Tricks Party definiton places the lines on top of the wing throughout so the kite can't roll over.

I figured a Barrel Roll has the wings rotating around the spine, the nose will remain pointed at you throughout the trick. But the Tricks Party definition of a Barrel Roll is only half a rotation, being similar to the the last movement in a Jacobs Ladder.

Since the Tricks Party definition of the Backspin continues after the definition to include the Barrel Roll as a backspin although it is a completely different trick by their own definition nothing makes any sense to me.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:35 PM »

I maintain the Mongoose does Barrel Rolls, not Backspins.

I defer to the excellent animation by Roy Reed for the Backspin:

http://reeddesign.co.uk/tricks/backspin.html

To be a backspin, the belly of the kite must always face upward.

As Mike mentioned, it's basically a Lazy Susan starting in the fade position.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 09:36 PM »

This sounds like something Bill Rogers and Ari Contzius did a video of Years back.

Anyone have a link?

New Trick:

Darren did it once, but we didn't know what happened at the time. I've done it twice since then.

We need video  Smiley

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 12:15 PM »

There was some mention of the Mongoose flying more comfortably than the Exile over 8-10 mph. From what John's written, it doesn't sound like it flies like the Exile though. (I was flying my Exile yesterday in just about nothing and it didn't seem to mind my sloppy inputs; the Mongoose seems to need good flying technique. Right?)

So my question is this: Is it a better alternative to the Exile?

Bob D.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:11 PM »

A back spin use to be called a roto-fade. It starts from a fade and does a flat spin. I didn't see any of those in the Mongoose video. Sorry Devin. They look like barrel rolls to me.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 04:59 PM »

On some kites the difference between doing a barrel roll and backspin is the offside line slack.  Don't give it enough slack and it will barrel roll.  Give it lots of slack and it will backspin.

Not saying this is what is happening with the Mongoose, but give it a try.  Some kites like more slack.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
jaybett

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 01:49 AM »

There was some mention of the Mongoose flying more comfortably than the Exile over 8-10 mph. From what John's written, it doesn't sound like it flies like the Exile though. (I was flying my Exile yesterday in just about nothing and it didn't seem to mind my sloppy inputs; the Mongoose seems to need good flying technique. Right?)

So my question is this: Is it a better alternative to the Exile?

My understanding is that the Mongoose, was more in line with the Mantis/Muse line, then the Exile.

Steve Tapp, impression of the kite was that it flew like a full size Exile.

One of Ken's intention with the Mongoose was to have a kite, that could fly in higher then normal winds for a Blue Moon Kite. A desire that many of us share.

Jay
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 02:45 AM »

The Mongoose is full size like the Mantis/Muse and correspondingly slower paced in overall speed and tricks than smaller kites.  It speeds up less then its brethren as the wind increases which is nice, especially for figures. Precision is right up there with the Mamba/Mantis.

It will fly up to around 18 or so before being overpowered and starting to bend those Nitro spreaders  Huh  There is room for a vent in the lineup  Grin

The comfortable tricking wind range is subject to flier  Wink

The Mongoose is not a yank and spank trick kite.  None of Ken's kites are; just don't tell Devin that Wink  Tricks are slower and more deliberate in line with it's overall feel.  Tricks are just as accessible as the Exile and in many ways a bit more accessible than the Mantis.

I think the Mongoose does the Mantis one better on being an excellent all rounder and I have two full sets of Mantids.

The Mongoose does not replace the Exile which is smaller and while similar, they do have different personalities, I like them both.

It will be fun to fly the Mongoose and Exile side by side and compare notes.

Ken has another winner with the Mongoose.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:21 AM by stapp59 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document