GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 12:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mongoose Mini-Review  (Read 7708 times)
cbs2010
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 08:27 PM »

Any further comparisons between the  Mongoose and the Exile ?

Would one be better suited for a new flier wanting to learn tricks ?

Cheers
C
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 01:11 AM »

Despite its size the Mongoose does many tricks faster and in some cases easier but I'd say the Exile is a little more forgiving and easier to fly.
If you've not flown many other kites you should adapt quickly to the way the Mongoose flies but if you're already accustomed to the way 'post Nirvana' kites fly it takes a little adjustment.
The Mongoose thrives on a little more wind, the Exile does well in lighter winds - what are your local conditions like?

I'm part way through writing a review myself but we've had gales and just as we get to the w/e I've sprained my wrist so no flying today  Sad

jaydub

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 02:11 AM »

Review here.

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3.0/wordpress/uncategorized/blue-moon-kites-mongoose-review-by-glen-warren
cbs2010

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 03:15 PM »

I mostly have inland light wind - 4-8kph to no wind.

Might be moving further inland which would be generally gusty.

I have the quantum, nexus and the 4d.
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 03:41 PM »

In that case I'd go with the Exile; it handles turbulent inland winds well (my local spot is a park with lots of tall trees) and it flies well in low winds. With heavy lines it is forgiving in gusty winds but does become hard work in > 10mph winds.

The Mongoose felt like it had an on/off switch driving then not on the same park and wouldn't go as low as my Exile.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 04:41 PM »

In that case I'd go with the Exile; it handles turbulent inland winds well (my local spot is a park with lots of tall trees) and it flies well in low winds. With heavy lines it is forgiving in gusty winds but does become hard work in > 10mph winds.

The Mongoose felt like it had an on/off switch driving then not on the same park and wouldn't go as low as my Exile.

In my limited time on the Mongoose, I would entirely agree with with this. 

The Exile was my go-to kite for a long time so I was surprised when I first picked up the lines on the Mongoose and gave it a go.  The winds were very low (near the low end of the kites abilities), but I know that my Exile would have flown much better in that same low wind.  Then again, once the wind picks up, the Exile loses some of its charm which I understand that the Mongoose retains.  I find the Exile very sweet up to 8-10 or so which I think meets most peoples needs just fine.

I do wish that I could have tried the Mongoose in higher winds, but I never got the opportunity. 

It tricked in a similar way to the Exile to my mind, just not as fast (very slowly actually, but again, at least partially due to the wind) and it just felt like a bigger kite overall to me.  It was easy to backspin, half-axel, axel, yoyo, etc and you can tell that both kites are made by the same designer by the way that they fly.  I think that due to its size and freestyle-bent, then Exile is just more agile at tricking in low wind.

Not to confuse you further, but the Muse is really my favorite of his kites.

6 kite tom
cbs2010

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 04:53 PM »

Lol.

Thanks looks like I'll lean more to the exile when the time comes.

Muse huh? I guess it's discontinued?
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 05:23 PM »

yep and Ken put out "Last call" on it's big brother the Mantis  Sad

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 05:33 PM »

You can't go wrong with either choice - all of his kites are excellent flyers.

I didn't realize that the Mantis was being retired - I've met many folks who keep that kite in their A-bag. 

6 kite tom
cbs2010

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 07:00 PM »

Tpatter, what is your present go to kite ?
stapp59
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 06:26 AM »

For those with early builds of the Mongoose, Ken issued a bridle tweak to shorten the uphaul by 1/2".  It helps the low end, overall drive, and smooths out any oversteer.  The uphaul should measure 22 1/2" from the frame to the knot.

Will have to have a fly off with the Exile and Mongoose on the low end wind range.  Both are pretty good as I recall.

Concerning the Mantis, it has been in my A bag for several years now.  The Mongoose is an able replacement I think.  Tricks are more accessible and it has a more even pace throughout the wind range.

Of course as mentioned, all of Ken's kites are nice  Smiley
cbs2010

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 04:24 PM »

Man....

After most recommending the Exile UL over the Mongoose UL ya think it would be a clear cut choice.  On Ken's mongoose forum it seems many prefer the mongoose over the exile.

The quandry???  Some say for inland turbulent gusty winds the exile is better and some say the mongoose is. 

It may sound 2D but I much prefer my colorizer creation for the mongoose over the exile, yet I have a feeling the exile will be better for low winds- but is it significant ?

Perhaps on those ultra low wind days I should just be content with my 4d. 

Just thinking outloud.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 05:27 PM »

life is too short flying kites you don't like to look at Cheesy

Sine Metu!
cbs2010

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 05:33 PM »

Good point. Let's examine the spiritual side of flying. Wink
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 12:24 AM »

The quandry???  Some say for inland turbulent gusty winds the exile is better and some say the mongoose is. 

Really we're splitting hairs comparing them - you're unlikely to be disappointed with either.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum