GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 04:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ginga....moved to its own thread  (Read 3302 times)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: September 20, 2010, 06:59 PM »

Thief,
Any update on the arrival of that slow boat from Belgium?? You know, the one with the Gingas and Ginga plans!

yep!
plans posted tonight: Ginga
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:55 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
glider
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:35 PM »

Thanks!  Fighters are one type of kite I haven't really tried at all.  I enjoy gliders: the Borelli glider, Skate and Hybrid 200.  The Ginga looks like it'll be quicker, better suited to up tempo music but still have some glide to it.

Dave
Portland, OR

nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:23 AM »

Thanks Thief, and thanks Christophe for sharing with us!!!! Now to see if I can find some time to make a couple before the fest in Oct.!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:52 AM »

Oh boy! I've been waiting for these. Thanks Christophe and Thief, this one is moving directly to the top of the list, I just love the silhouette of this kite and the promise to be a bit fighter like with a glide sounds just like what I was hoping to achieve with my designs.

TongueTongue
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:54 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:36 AM »

Someone up to making me a couple Ginja's Tongue Please.... Wink

"Do what you like"
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:20 PM »

EZ I don't even see any miss-guided attempts at copyright protection (Which only stops people from copying the plans, it does not keep anybody from following the plans to build the kite or whatever) on the plans or on the site. It looks like Christophe has freely shared the design.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 05:25 PM »

Yep Christoph has shared this freely...he would love to see people make them....but he does not have the time nor the money to be able to (his pharmaceutical company job takes too much time).....
enjoy.....lets see what people come up with!
(especially the center t part Wink )

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:08 PM »

.....lets see what people come up with!

I was studying that, it's not a dihedral is it? That'll be a little hard to source here, might have a couple idea's to check out. I'll pass them along if I find something.

thief

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:54 AM »

.....lets see what people come up with!

I was studying that, it's not a dihedral is it? That'll be a little hard to source here, might have a couple idea's to check out. I'll pass them along if I find something.

It is not a diherdral...it is the center T off of a cheapie Decathalon sport kite.   Eolo used to use pieces like this for their low end sport kites as well.....
i am thinking that a simple hook would work....
Fridolin Anders used bra hooks on the back of his Frido II kites to help them flatten out more for storage....i would think that something like that (if not a bra hook) would work just fine...
Fridos choice:

back of the Ginga:

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 06:51 AM »

That's one idea but it would be sewn on, I see the T on the spine as possibly being adjustable giving you another bit of room to play around with the flight characteristics by adding or subtracting a bit of tension into the spreader. I don't know if Christophe intended that or if those stoppers are movable on his.

I won't be checking today but I'll be heading to the drip irrigation area of my hardware store looking for a T or X fitting, Dale Vanderhoff used those on his Sauls Barrage kite that I believe was framed in .1570's. I've seen pieces like that on some cheap kites, I may have even pulled one or two off things I pickup off the fields after kite day but I'm still going to check for an accessible source of something suitable.

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 07:52 AM »

Why not a dihedral? and why not a t connector like this?:
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=405
Size maybe an issue but i would think it more of a "holding point"
I'm also curious on the holes in the first picture, true holes or mylar ports? If they are holes, are they more to create a 'vented' version.

Sine Metu!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 12:49 PM »

Real holes with mesh panel reinforcements the span each group of "vents".

Click picture to zoom and go to album

The T-Connector you linked to would probably work (size issues pending).  A bit of careful Dremel work would insure that the kite retained it's ability to be broken down for storage/travel.

ATB,
Sam
thief

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 02:40 PM »

no dihedral because if you have a dihedral there it will remove some of the active flight characteristics....a much smoother area at the intersection..like on a Skate instead of a hard angle making a keel....
the flex designed into the kite is in the fact that the center rod WILL bend both backwards (towards the bottom of the spine) and upwards (away from the spine)....a multi curve zone...

on the high aspect version *the wide one i have had it go completely stable at the top of the wind window....just happened that the curves in the kite found perfect stability....

The center t connector you found will probably work just fine.   I do not think that it even has to be open to "snap" the spreader in...the spreader is made up of three pieces so it is quite easy to slide the fiberglas piece through that T then fit into the ferrules for the wingtips...

sliding the center T for and aft is nto very possible on the ones i have....the spine is inside a sleeve...there is a bit of movement available but not much....def. an interesting thought.

side note: there is also no extra weights on these guys....

Fore Check

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 04:04 PM »

After reviewing the plan, I'd do a couple of little things different (namely the spine pocket; I'd do a pseudo Dan Leigh delta method)  I think it would be fairly easy to do the curve, and then you're not getting a double seam and whatnot.  To each their own.

ANYWAYS:

For that Center T, I'd modify a 4mm FSD Leading Edge Connector (available here:  http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=114)  as follows:

Direct link to larger image:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/fore_check/Miscellaneous/GINGAcenterFSDmoddedT.jpg

Quick, easy, and I'm sure it would work real good.

I do have a question on the plan, tho.  Are those 4mm spars Rods, or Tubes?   Shocked
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 05:30 PM »

After reviewing the plan, I'd do a couple of little things different...

I always change a few construction techniques for my own prefered methods, the spine pocket is one I saw, another is thel sail tensioning at the tail. I'm actually wondering if a full pocket for the spine is really needed. I hope any of you who start on the project will share what you find, the instructions seemed a little incomplete, mostly like an assumption that you've built a kite or two.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum