GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 08:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whidbey island Kite Festival  (Read 3066 times)
johnguz76
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 22, 2010, 01:16 PM »

So who is going??ROLL CALL..Cant make both days so its looking like Sunday for us,

"GIVE ALL EXPECT NOTHING"
Bill Rogers

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 02:02 PM »

Going up on Friday and staying til late Sunday.
mdilucca
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 03:59 PM »

I will be there with the rest of the Team Island Quad doing some demos at the festival !!! I can't wait  Tongue

Cheers
Mario

Cheers
Mario

sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:31 PM »

We should be there Friday afternoon through Sunday.
Whidbey Island Kite Festival is one of my favourites!

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
EBGB
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:12 AM »

We're already there.
(Sort of.)
Camping at Ft. Ebey State Park right now - will join the festivities Friday afternoon.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 10:29 AM »

We got a bit of everything this time. Saturday was warm & sunny, but the winds had a mind of their own and were some of the most challenging I've ever flown in.

Sunday's winds were better, but a front had moved in and brought a light drizzle/Scotch Mist.

As long as you dress for PNW weather, it's not a problem. I flew my Midi UL and enjoyed watching the demos and competitions.

The Swap Tent had some serious bargains with lots of great dual liners at very steep discounts, including 5 or 6 several complete sets of competition-grade dualies, plus SLKs, power foils and quad liners.

I got skunked at the Raffle Tent this year, but other members of my club came back with a small fortune in fabric and kite collectables. Lots of fun, can't wait 'til next year! Cheesy

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 04:34 PM »

Those were some definitely some challenging winds.  I had never flown there before when the wind wasn't coming off the water - it definitely changes everything. 

On Saturday, I watched one competitor fly in what had to be a varying wind range of 2-18 during his 4 minute ballet.  Then, others were unlucky enough to have 1.5-3 (with direction changes).  They did fantastic jobs btw - I heard a few of the routines described as making lemonade with lemons and it was certainly true.  Smiley

Despite all this, and with the mist and rain on Sunday, everyone (certainly the flyers) seemed to be having a great time.

There were definitely some amazing deals at the tent this year - I still don't know how I resisted that Mako, or the custom rev, or the UL Mamba.

6 kite tom
GEB

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 08:31 PM »

The lower and upper fields are my home turf. I think the upper field would have been much better for flying on Saturday given the primary wind direction. The lower field in winter with wind out of the East can be brutal, double the wind speeds of what they were Saturday. Sometimes you can stand in one spot on the lower field and feel no wind against you and yet fly a standard kite on 100ft.lines in almost any direction without moving. The wind swirls around you. I have also been flying a vented in 20mph winds there when the kite came back over my head and floated to the ground. I havenít flown anywhere else quite like it. With 7mph winds coming directly out of the West though it can be as good as flying gets.

I have to agree the flyers did very well given the wind conditions. It was funny talking with former world champs who were each claiming they were pretty sure they had taken last place in their event.

Yes the tent sale was amazing. The most kites I have seen there yet. I looked at that Mako several times myself, but managed to resist. Mambaís, Mantis, Widow Makes, Quantum Proís, Zephyrs, full competition sets, SULís etc. No Talon ULís though.

I had the opportunity to fly the new Ocius UL there. Nice little kite. Smooth, easy to trick and well mannered.
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 11:21 PM »

Loved the festival and now realize I should never have left as the winds on Sunday seemed to finally show back up.

I met several of you there.... But I'm sorry I might not know who you are... I was the guy in the yellow glasses.

@tpatter - I was tempted to buy the mako based soley on your continued waffling.  Smiley As a new flier (going on 2 mnths now) I have become addicted fast and the swap tent was a like a candy store. I keep thinking I should bought that Mamba UL and the Mantis (looked like the holes were repaired quite well) ... ohh well live and learn...

I did however purchase what I believe to be Jerry Cannon's PKC Next SULT (which I believe was use by team CE in France circa 2004... really kewl!)  and got the chance to fly it for the first time today. WOW!!! in Winds averaging about 3-4mph with the low end being around 2mph it flew effortlessly. Tracking was amazing and I was flying super short 45' 50# lines. I actually managed to hold my first real fade with it and it easily turned into a gentle rising fade..... steady as a rock.

Thanks to everyone who makes Whidbey Island Kite Festival happen... you have helped solidify a serious new addiction for both me and my wife.. we look forward to working on a pairs ballet and continuing to have a great time with a super friendly community.

Thanks also to Dan for taking the time to talk to me about kites and teaching me how to Axle properly and to all the people who joined in on the conversations and suffered through my newbieness. Thanks to the kind soul who had the kindness to let me try out his Ocius (I'm hooked and will be adding one in the near future) and thanks for giving me a few pointers... it really helps.
Bill Rogers

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:07 AM »

I keep thinking I should bought that Mamba UL and the Mantis (looked like the holes were repaired quite well) ... ohh well live and learn...

The Mantis is still available Smiley
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:12 AM »

Loved the festival and now realize I should never have left as the winds on Sunday seemed to finally show back up.

I met several of you there.... But I'm sorry I might not know who you are... I was the guy in the yellow glasses.

@tpatter - I was tempted to buy the mako based soley on your continued waffling.  Smiley As a new flier (going on 2 mnths now) I have become addicted fast and the swap tent was a like a candy store. I keep thinking I should bought that Mamba UL and the Mantis (looked like the holes were repaired quite well) ... ohh well live and learn...

I did however purchase what I believe to be Jerry Cannon's PKC Next SULT (which I believe was use by team CE in France circa 2004... really kewl!)  and got the chance to fly it for the first time today. WOW!!! in Winds averaging about 3-4mph with the low end being around 2mph it flew effortlessly. Tracking was amazing and I was flying super short 45' 50# lines. I actually managed to hold my first real fade with it and it easily turned into a gentle rising fade..... steady as a rock.

Thanks to everyone who makes Whidbey Island Kite Festival happen... you have helped solidify a serious new addiction for both me and my wife.. we look forward to working on a pairs ballet and continuing to have a great time with a super friendly community.

Thanks also to Dan for taking the time to talk to me about kites and teaching me how to Axle properly and to all the people who joined in on the conversations and suffered through my newbieness. Thanks to the kind soul who had the kindness to let me try out his Ocius (I'm hooked and will be adding one in the near future) and thanks for giving me a few pointers... it really helps.

gotta love when a new flyer posts something like this......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
EBGB

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 12:20 PM »

Whidbey is just that kind of festival.

For a fairly large percentage of us in the Northwest, Whidbey was where the hook was set. A lot of competitors also flew their first comp there.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 01:16 PM »

I remember you - we will have to chat more next time.

Ken's kites are sweet and I can't imagine that too many have ever been sold for the sum of $50!   Smiley  I have alot less kites that I used to, but I still have more than I can fly (I only ever seem to fly the same 4).

I hope folks needing a great kite took advantage of some of what was in the tent.

6 kite tom
Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 07:54 PM »

Greetings!

I am Ang3lfir3's other half... and what can I add... not much other than photos...lol But I will repeat that it was an amazing weekend, very full of generous hearted and kind folks who were a delight to meet.

I have no doubt that Whidbey will be a great tradition for us as the years roll by...  Grin

I didn't get to take as many photos as I usually would... I was too busy watching... then flying... well sorta anyway... how about trying. lol

At any rate, I have to say Island Quad knocked my socks off... and watching the demos and hot tricks was inspired. The kids were AMAZING... especially the two boys. And it was just such a nice friendly event... I don't think we could have felt more welcomed. I am REALLY excited that there are locals on this forum, because I really look forward to getting to know our kiting community. People just look at me funny these days... when I start talking about flying... but then I get this crazy excited look in my eye, so maybe I should not blame them. lol

The only words that come to mind when watching experianced fliers is - beautiful grace. I can tell there is such a depth and senstivity of understanding to the experiance of flying... knowing just how much wind to let fill the kite... and the precision of movements - no forcing - just collaboration between the flier and the wind getting these beautiful and fragile beauties to dance, and delight us.

I'll be the gal with the huge camera and even bigger smile making you all feel like celebrities because I'm going to become your personal paparazzi. lol

Deepest gratitude,

Victrinia

PS. The first photo is what I took on the way over from Port Townsend... what a beautiful morning!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 08:00 PM »

Another photo... I actually have more... but I am experiancing technical difficulties with posting them... is there a limit of 3 photos per thread.... or per post. It seems it must be per thread, though it says post.

Are we allowed to imbed photos? I don't want to break forum rules in any way... so I'm just curious. Smiley

Victrinia

[attachment deleted by admin]

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document