GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 04:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Line weight  (Read 1538 times)
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 23, 2010, 11:05 AM »

So I was reading the topic on repairing lines and was wondering at people who use 50lb line.

What weights do you fly on? Why?

I fly on 90# 113' line about 97.43% of the time.

I don't use 50lb. Two primary reasons for this:
-I'm super nervous about breaking them if there's any wind - I can't afford to keep replacing line sets.
-nonexistent to extremely light wind flying is much more about technique than about the kite or lines. So since I'm more tuned to how the kite flies with the 90# lines, I can actually fly lower with the 90s since I'm lazy and don't like spending huge amounts of time practicing in wind I can't feel. Same reason I always fly on my 113' set, even when it would seem like shorter might be better in swirly conditions.

I do occasionally use my 130# set, but only for very high wind situations (like 20+) or for heavy wind team flying. Yes it does slow the kite down some, but like 50# lines it changes how the kite flies. Since I never fly in high winds except at competitions, I need as much familiarity with the kite as I can get. Isn't inland flying wonderful?

So what are y'all's thoughts?
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:41 AM »

PDSUL in nothing-3mph I use 50 lbs. Broken a few of them but I had a long set that i broke down anyways.
Indoors? 50lb.

I've flown a UL in light winds on them but I dont like it much.

Usually I'm on 100lb or 150lb. 100 ft for fun, 125 for team, pairs, and comp.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:05 PM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 01:09 PM »

I use 50# in very light winds. I havent had any breakage issues. I did try 30# line with a 3d many moons ago and found that i was heavy handed enough to make those break
i typically fly on 90# 100' or 75' lines. I do think that some of the 90# line has gotten thinner and lighter over the years
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:11 PM by DD » Logged

Sine Metu!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 02:10 PM »

50# line in my experience is so light and thin it snags on everything the moment you have any slack, no thanks.

Fdeli
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 02:30 PM »

Aside from being fragile, 50# also doesn't wrap well. binds up quick.

I use it in zero wind only because that's what my short sets are made of.

I really like Berry Blue 75#. It's lighter than 90# but stronger and sliperier than 50.

I used it for years until I wore out my last set and started using 90#. I flew everthing on 90 for like a year untill I got more 75. I really don't think 90 is a problem in low wind. I use 150# for big kites and/or high wind.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:12 PM »

I fly my 4D and Tattoo SUL on 50#, flying both under 3-4mph.

Higher than that, 90# 85'-100' up to 15mph or so.

Above 15mph, 90# 100' or 120'.  I don't find I need anything greater than 90# line.

I do like 50# for kites like the 4D and also for flying indoor kites outside in low wind - I couldn't imagine using 90# for those, too much drag on the kite.  The Tattoo is big enough I can fly either 50# or 90#, but still like 50# better in 1-2 mph.

6 kite tom
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:21 PM »

I fly 90# X 125' most of the time. If the wind gets real light I'll switch to a shorter line set but never to 50#. I've got 150# and 300# sets too but they're just to slow the kite down when the wind picks up.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
sealcove
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 04:28 PM »

I go back and forth between 50 and 100 depending on the kite and conditions.  I have never broken a line.

asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 06:01 PM »

HMMM ... 75# test line ... will inquire with my custom line maker next time.

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 08:24 PM »

Steve might still have some

Allen, AKA kitehead
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:04 PM »

If you are talking the Berry Blue 75lb Line, either the Shanti or LPG 90lb is lighter and thinner as well as having less stretch.

A high quality 50lb line can be useful with modern ULs at the very bottom of the wind range.

Yes, it is more likely to tangle; Yes, it is more likely to break; But it does make a significant difference, in my experience, when the wind is very light.

The caveat is that it needs to be high quality line. Some 50lb line is fatter and stretchier than some 90lb line.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:06 PM by JimB » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:07 PM »

I have a 50#/100' lineset which is at least 6 years old, no sleeving. I've had to retie the loops a few times when they failed. Just make the loops extra long to begin with.

You have got to love the way that line sings when the wind picks up a little. The better it sounds, however, the closer it is to breaking. It's like Russian Roulette.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 10:38 PM »

You have got to love the way that line sings when the wind picks up a little. The better it sounds, however, the closer it is to breaking. It's like Russian Roulette.  Smiley

A roaring kite with screaming lines is music to my ears!  Smiley

6 kite tom
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 10:57 PM »

I fly almost exclusively on 60lbs lines. One reason is that a 125' roll costs next to nothing (I think $3). I've flown on sets that are probably 3-4 years old and don't recall them ever breaking. I fly in up to 7mph winds and usually in winds 5-7mph.

Would I fly comp with them? Not a chance! Too much at risk. But I don't think people realize just how strong 60lbs line really is.

When the wind is 10-15mph I'll switch to 90lbs and almost never fly 150lbs. If it comes to that, I'll change my kite to something more appropriate.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document