GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yoyo stopper placement  (Read 3872 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: September 24, 2010, 10:15 AM »

I'm curious how designers go about determining where the yoyo stoppers should be placed.  The kites I've built to now have had the placement marked on the plan, but I have a few in the to-do list that do not indicate where they should be.  Is it dependent on the bridle design/dimensions?  just curious what people have done, and if there is a way to avoid the trial and error method.  thanks for any input.

Stephen
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 11:10 AM »

If I well remember the stoppers have to be placed at 40% of the leading edge length from the nose or, and oviously  Smiley 60% from the wing tip.

Paolo
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:11 PM »

It really is dependent on the kite design, 40/60 is probably a good starting point but you could do better. You want the kite to fly reasonably well while wrapped up right?

One method I've heard of is to use Binder Clips available at any office supply store, and clamp them over the leading edge until you find a suitable spot.

I bet your next question will be how to find the right spot for your standoffs?

Again go adjustable, buy some Alligator Clips as used on electrical testers, available at any auto supply store, then bend the crimp end at a 90 degree angle to insert the standoff. You should also file down the teeth and cover them with some Rubber or Silicon Tubing available at your fishing store or model airplane shop so they don't cut into the fabric.

Now the fun part, 1001 test flights before you melt those holes   Wink

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:45 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:44 PM »

HQ kites use clip on yoyo stoppers that you can move along the LE until you find the ideal place.

They can also pop off so buy a few spares - they're cheap! or use a wrap of electricians tape around the top to hold 'em in place.

Standoffs - get hold of some stick on velcro strip about 3/4" wide. Stick a strip of the loop ( fluffy) side to the trailing edge where you think the standoffs will be - BEFORE YOU STICK IT DOWN RUB THE GLUE ON YOUR HAND A FEW TIMES so it doesn't stick too tight!!!  Next get some HQ sail connectors like these-( I don't work for HQ Honest! they just have some useful bits)

Press the clip bits together but NOT through the sail and stick a square of the hook side velcro on the bottom. Now add your stand off pieces. Assemble your kite, choose a starting point for the position of your standoffs and stick them to the velcro strip on the trailing edge - the tension in the sail will hold them in place.  You can now move your standoffs anywhere along the velcro strip until you find the ideal position then you can make holes to fit the sail connectors of your choice and remove the velcro. This probably sounds far more complicated than it is but it works!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:01 PM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:10 PM »

One method I've heard of is to use Binder Clips available at any office supply store, and clamp them over the leading edge until you find a suitable spot.

A very long thread on the Binder Clip Method can be found here.

ATB,
Sam
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 03:09 PM »

Binder clips work for a temporary thing. I've never been able to fully trust clip-on stoppers as they tend to get lost at the wrong time. And I know that if I used something legit like the HQ stops I'd be lazy and never do something permenant, and then I'd lose one and be kicking myself.
Adjusting the stoppers is basically like adjusting a bridle, but far simpler. If the kite is sort of bouncing on the lines or spinning tightly when wrapped, move towards the nose. If it is non-responsive, move towards the tips.

Personally for standoffs  I prefer just punching a bunch of holes in the TE and using normal JACO connectors. It enables me to get more precise, and I find that velcro has a bit of give, which kills the performance of a kite. If you don't like holes, velcro is probably the way to go though  Smiley
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 03:17 PM »

Personally for standoffs  I prefer just punching a bunch of holes in the TE and using normal JACO connectors. It enables me to get more precise, and I find that velcro has a bit of give, which kills the performance of a kite. If you don't like holes, velcro is probably the way to go though  Smiley

I wouldn't use velcro as a permanent solution, just to find the best position before using something more conventional.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
sugarbaker

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 06:06 PM »

thanks for all the replies.  I'll do some testing with the 40/60 placement and some movable clips.  Part of the issue is that I'm not the best pilot as of yet, so knowing how I want the kite to handle when wrapped up may be a bit of a mystery for a while.  No rush though.  Thanks again!

Stephen
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 04:25 AM »

Hi Stephen,

Join the 2 leading edges under the Center-T on the spine.

The Yoyos stoppers have to be about 1/2 inch over the Center-T.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 07:16 AM »

Hi Stephen,

That really varies from one kite to the next. On my Talon they're about 55mm above the center T. On my TNT they're about 25mm above the center T. On my Cosmic TC they're about 20mm below the center T. And they all fly just fine wrapped up.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
kitelover

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 08:04 AM »

Lay the kite on it's back in the fade position with the lines attached and parallel. Place yoyo stoppers just outside the lines. Inside wouldn't do any good. If your technique is less than perfect and you're not catching them, move them a little more outside.
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 11:03 AM »

Hi Stephen,

That really varies from one kite to the next. On my Talon they're about 55mm above the center T. On my TNT they're about 25mm above the center T. On my Cosmic TC they're about 20mm below the center T. And they all fly just fine wrapped up.

Sorry, I forgot to say that it was only for french kites !
sugarbaker

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 11:28 PM »

Lay the kite on it's back in the fade position with the lines attached and parallel. Place yoyo stoppers just outside the lines. Inside wouldn't do any good. If your technique is less than perfect and you're not catching them, move them a little more outside.

I will try out this method... it seems to make the most sense and is the easiest to try.  Experimentation will likely still be required, but this seems like it will get me close.  Thanks for a straight forward method.

Stephen
kitelover

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 07:34 AM »

Stephen, It may get you started, but trial and error may be necessary to find the sweet spot. If the kite keeps popping out of the fade, move the stops further apart to allow the nose higher and getting more wind under the kite. Let us know how it goes.
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 12:40 PM »

You can try a yoyo line (like on a Fury) to see if your first guess is in about the right place before making holes in the kite

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document