GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 05:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French connection ul?  (Read 1266 times)
rweird
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 24, 2010, 03:51 PM »

any thoughts on this kite? I'm looking for a kite that will handle lower winds than the prism adrenaline that I'm currently flying. also considering a 4d.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:25 PM »

I vote for the 4D.  You may also want to consider the Shadow from HQ.  Wasn't to happy with the FC UL (IMO).

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:16 PM »

I have to agree with game lord.  I'd go with the 4d since it performs a lot better than the shadow IMO.  However if your wanting a full size light wind kite try a Zephyr.  I've flown mine in a little as 2mph winds and its trickable even at that low but tricks well in 3-5 mph with the 50# lineset.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 07:47 PM »

I would also say 4d over fcul.  The zephyr will fly in less then the adrenaline and may also be a good choice. I would say the zephyr is more a "light std" then a ul. I also agree with the shadow.
Welcome to the "quest" for the next kite and the forum.

If you decide to sell the adrenaline, drop me a line

Sine Metu!
rweird
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:30 PM »

thoughts on the skydog big dog ul? just running through the options the local shop has in stock.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:37 PM »

black* dog.  Smiley

Haven't flown one.

How about an Ocius UL, Mongoose UL, or Mamba UL. ?  Smiley higher priced, yes, but sooo worth it!

I haven't flown the fcul, but i wasn't to happy with the fc std.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 10:34 PM »

4D is great for general super low wind flying (few will go lower - it will fly well in nearly nothing), but I think you need to have some expertise in order to trick it well - its no yank and spank sort of kite, but requires some finesse in the older-school style.  I like it best in 0-3mph for tricks, but I could see just flying around up to 7 or so (I don't understand the 12 mph rating on this kite).  It is also fragile in terms of connectors, but tough otherwise - buy some of the aluminum ferrules it uses at the same time you buy the kite -  you will need them (at the centerT and also to connect the LEs).  It has become my favorite near-no-wind (<1mph) kite.

The Shadow needs a bit more more wind than the 4D (I'd say 0.75 mph more), but it tricks more easily and handles rougher inputs more readily.  Also, it is much stronger and a stiffer (flys much higher without concern) compared to the 4D although both are flexible frame kites.

Both of these kites I'd consider great low wind flyers (lots of drive), but more intermediate to advanced in terms of tricking them -  they are not too forgiving of too much or the wrong inputs.  Either would be a great kite for someone who simply wants to keep flying with ease when the wind is <3 mph.  You can literally just stand there, even walking forward if you wish.

The Zephyr needs far more wind than either of these imo (say 3-4), but if you have the wind, its lots of fun.

They will all make your adrenaline feel like a lead ballon in 4mph of wind so you can't make a bad choice.  Good luck!  Smiley

-Tom

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:36 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document