GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 10:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying Spots on Kauai  (Read 916 times)
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: September 25, 2010, 10:40 AM »

We're planning a week long trip to Kauai in early December with some friends. No other kite flyers in the group but I plan to take a couple of kites with me. I found a few spots for flying locations through Google but I'd be interested in suggestions from others. Information about expected winds at that time of year and/or best line lengths would help, too. I'll probably take one quad and my 4d only unless I try to carry on in a rod case. Thanks for any suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:03 PM by bfranz » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 01:30 PM »

My wife's parents lived on the Big Island for five years and I remember that the trade winds blew pretty well. I wasn't flying back then but if I were to bring a kite, you might want to bring a quad or something that likes the wind kind of strong. Your choices are probably pretty good ones.

Bob D.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 02:43 PM »

Where are you staying?

I lived in Hawaii for 20 years and made it to Kauai a couple times.  Didn't fly back then but ... the trade winds (which blow almost non-stop) are from the northeast so hopefully you are staying in Princeville.

Bring short lines.  Most all beaches in Hawaii are narrow so long line sets will hamper where you can fly. If you haven't done so yet take a look at Google Earth or Google Maps satellite view and you will see what I mean.

Honestly ... I would leave my kites at home and bring my snorkeling gear.

Speaking of flying ... I gotta get out of hear.  With any luck we will have the inaugural flight of "Builder Bob's" 50 stack this afternoon.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 05:07 PM »

I would say pretty much anywhere on the coastline on that island. It is my favorite out of all the islands in Hawaii( yes, I have been to them all, except the few private ones). Enjoy your time there, it is beautiful, make sure to pack some hiking boots!

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 05:11 PM »

I was chased off a "State Beach"  when there, but any other beach should be fine

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change