GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 12:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want a new kite  (Read 2042 times)
robertrunner
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 25, 2010, 04:26 PM »

This is my first post on this forum but I have been reading lots of posts over the past weeks.  I started flying a dual line this summer when I was on a school rotation in Alaska.  I met numerous fliers and picked up a nexus mainly due to the small folded size which I needed for travel reasons.  Now I am back in inland California and my wind is good but gusty at times. I know there is more that I could potentially do with my nexus but I also know there are lots of things that cannot or at least cannot easily be done with a nexus so I am looking for an upgrade.  Before I found this forum I was going to stick with the prism line and probably jump up to a Zephyr but now I see my options are so much wider.  I have read good things about the Exile, Widowmaker, Talon, Deepspace and many others.  I do not expect this kite purchase to be my last purchase ever but it will be the last purchase for well over a year or two.

My current leaning is towards a Talon Std (although perhaps UL would be better) and getting 100' #90 lines (are there different brands of lines?)

does anyone have any good reasons to get this setup or an alternate setup please let me know your opinions.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 04:42 PM »

the talon is very well built with lots of nice touches and will take you far, no question about it.

a rare occurrence for sure, JoE even have a couple kites in the buy it now section. usually you have to get in line and wait for one to be built.

Fdeli
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 04:55 PM »

gusts sometimes? get a mongoose. Smiley
Click that blue moon link on the right of your screen.  Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 04:56 PM »

Get a Talon STD before the UL....My 2 cents worth Smiley But just make sure you get one of the 2!!! Grin

The new Frank!
King-J

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 05:00 PM »

You Can't go wrong with a Talon std, but it is fast at your inputs, compared to the other two, The Widow Maker is a little slower but also goes pretty low on the wind, The Exile std is also a fun kite really likes it on its back, not to good in winds over 8 to 10. I own all three and they all are different. For a newbie I would recommend the Widow Maker first, then go to the other two.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 05:05 PM »

Welcome to the forum! and to the wonderful, and therapeutic pastime.

But I caution you, this sport can be habit forming, and cause great financial stress

example

where in California? There may be fliers in your area that will be willing to let you try the kites
you have selected so you can make a more informed decision

There are also some events coming up if any are close to you

14th Annual Japan America Kite Festival, 10/03/2010, North of Seal Beach Pier, Seal Beach, CA

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

robertrunner

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 05:20 PM »

thanks for all the replies unfortunately the decision is not getting much easier. At least many of you seem to feel jumping into a talon wouldn't be a bad idea.

I live near Corona in the soon to be city of Eastvale.  A 2 hour drive could easily get me to any beach to go flying but I drive so much to get to school that I try to avoid doing extra driving when I can.
robertrunner

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 09:45 PM »

I've been reading through more posts on here about talons and I am seeing more people indicate that they use the UL more than the STD so why is the STD still the recommended first purchase?
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 03:29 AM »

I find the std has a huge wind range. I think it is easyer to learn yoyo and so on with it thanks to the bigger mass. The UL is more relax and a great kite...Depend I guess of the winds were you live

The new Frank!
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 05:33 AM »

+1 on getting a std. talon

wider wind range

DWayne

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 06:44 AM »

I'll join the chorus and suggest the standard Talon. Learn to fly the std in UL conditions. It'll be a bit more work but IMO you'll be a better pilot for it.

Denny

the preceding is based on speculation and conjecture not scientific study

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 09:49 AM »

UH OH...

I just ordered the Talon UL for my first "real" kite... Reading this post is making me think maybe I should get ahold of JoE and change it to the STD before he starts making it for me...Huh

I live in Seattle WA where there is very unstable wind and none sometimes... What do you all think?  Cry

Oh, and I'd just go ahead with the Talon... I started a simular post to this one about a month ago and thats the outcome that I came to after all the replies and all the further research...  Grin Just ordered mine this morning and can't wait to get it!

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 09:59 AM »

Just ordered mine this morning and can't wait to get it!

Just make sure he got the Zip Code right this time.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:38 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
robertrunner

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 02:48 PM »

to DWayne::  I like how you put it "Learn to fly the std in UL conditions. It'll be a bit more work but IMO you'll be a better pilot for it."

I have flown my nexus in very low winds I'm not sure exactly what speeds but it is rated at 4-22mph and there have been times when I am constantly walking and pulling just to keep it up this is why I am tempted towards the UL since the Std is rated similar to the Nexus.  Of course I'm sure ratings are highly variable and not entirely accurate so I will probably stick with everyones advice and get the Std although that low wind UL is still pulling at me.

to Shane::  By the way what is the current lead time on the kite right since you just ordered one?
DWayne

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 03:24 PM »

Lead time is 5 days for a custom though there are a few available for immediate delivery. Click the link on the right side of the page.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document