GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 09:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tail Velcro Repair Advice  (Read 1768 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: September 26, 2010, 01:17 PM »

The tail velcro on my old Prophecy failed after seven years of abuse. See photos.

Any advice on a no-sew repair? I don't really care what it looks like. I assume I'll add another layer of something, but what do with just glue?

The spine just poked through, there's no other damage to the area. The knock broke and create a sharp edge, I think. Should have had an end cap on it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Allen, AKA kitehead
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:33 PM »

If you're really determined not to sew you could try joining the tear with superglue, tape it together first then glue like you would do with a sail tear.

However it really isn't difficult to sew on a new piece of velcro, or at a pinch put some insignia tape on the back and just sew the velcro to that if you don't want to touch the sail.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:32 PM »

Make sure the spine tip has at least 2 vinyl end caps or maybe a standoff connector to spread the stress area.

Push the material back toward each side of the tear and then wrap 2 or 3 layers of gaffer tape (or whatever black tape you prefer.

Wrap the tape tightly without allowing the material to bunch.

You'll never see the repair from further than 5 feet away and the kite will fly the same.

Prophs aren't going to alter their balance much when you add 5 or 10 grams of material to the spine area.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 05:02 PM »

Use adhesive insignia tapes to cover front/back of the damage area and then hand stitched the edge of the insignia tape for added protection(optional). A vinyl cap on the end of the spine will prevent future damage. Also a few layers of adhesive insignia tapes over the vinyl end cap will increase the size of the tip of the vinyl cap and therefore spreading the load.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 06:53 PM »

No Sew, No Glue, No gummy tape residue until you can get a proper repair.

Use an FSD Leading Edge Connector instead of a nock or endcap, the T shape should catch the remaining material, you'll probably have to stiffen it with a short piece of spar material.

Of course an APA Standoff Connector with  short piece of spar glued in will also work if you have one in the box already
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:57 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:28 PM »

Good advice all. Some of my kites have a kevlar patch in this area. Always seems overkill.

I think I'll super glue the tear then use a T of some sort to spread the force.

And I'll check things more carefully between newbie lawn darts...

Allen, AKA kitehead
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 02:06 AM »

I'd replace the broken parts sewing new ones. This is how I'd proceed: I'd unstich and cut off the velcro keeping the dacron, than I'd sew a new dacron and velcro strip keeping the old broken dacron in the middle.
To prevent future damage I'd put a vinyl cap or better a standoff fitting at the end of the spine. Using the standoff fitting be prepared to cut off some millimeters of the spine due to the size of the fitting.
When sewing be careful to clear the trailing edge where the leech line is.
Don't worry about sewing, do some practice on spare parts, if you don't have experience, and then go with confidence  Wink  Smiley

Paolo
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 12:50 AM »

Even hand stitching some velcro over that rip would work.

Sent from my Android phone via Taptalk

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change