GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 07:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carabiner?  (Read 4957 times)
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 26, 2010, 05:34 PM »

I thought I would check and see what Size and type of Carabiner most of you use on SLK's, I know that the size and pull of the lifter makes a difference just looking for an average.
1 = Aluminum, steal, or stainless
2 = Size
3 = Attaching to sand anchors
4 = Attaching line laundry to line
Thank You
John

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 05:56 PM »

I do a fair bit of rigging and like these, light strong and not junk:
Mammut Element Key Lock Carabiner
http://www.rei.com/product/760240

Sine Metu!
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 07:22 PM »

I use the Black Diamond oval 'biners, about 2 bucks cheaper at REI.  Some hardware stores sell aluminum cheapies that are weight rated at around 125 pounds, and I'll use those for lightweight stuff, say flying 80 pound or less load. Make sure you check them!  Marine supply stores have stainless steel ones that are very strong, but very expensive.
Charly
Trade Count: (+23)

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:13 PM »

Ditto on the REI models.  You get what you pay for.

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
tcope

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:16 PM »

To attach the kite line to an anchor I use a climbing carabiner with 18 kilonewtons on the major axis. To attach line laundry I use any store bought carabiner, just not the smaller ones. Funny that you ask this question as I happen to have one in front of me that I has some line laundry on a few weeks ago. Picture is attached. The line was wrapped around this carabiner. It was attached to a 240 sq ft flow form in 15mph winds.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:13 AM »

Omega Pacific Standard D Part # OPD6 (Major Axis Strength 31 kN)  ~$7.00

Black Diamond Light D Carabiner (Major Axis Strength 24 kN) ~$6.00

ATB,
Sam
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 04:49 AM »

Any krab (carabiner) can open like that cheap pear shaped one....you can get the small keychain ones that have a tooth/nose that the gate hooks onto....those aer more secure....but at the same time what was on that biner and in what wind that caused that deformation?

For big stuff i always used a quick locking krab (as opposed to a screwlock) and if i had to use a non locking krab then i would use a pair of them offset (so the gates do not open the same way)...

Aluminum are good....steel weighs a bit much for me....
i do also like wire gates....but double them up at the anchor...

sand anchors.....i thought that a sand anchor was someone holding it standing on the beach?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Josiah
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 01:50 PM »

@Tcope: Some *laundry* did that?  What were you flying, a full-size Gomberg crown?! Smiley  I'd easily believe the Floform itself could pull apart a biner like that, but the laundry? 

@DD: I've had problems with the "Key Lock" types getting jammed with sand on the beach.  They always open with a bit of "encouragement" but what worried me more was sometime it wouldn't close all the way if there was a bunch of sand in the key way and it isn't always easy to notice if it didn't close all the way.  The more conventional "hook and bar" type gates seem much less prone to getting jammed with sand.

As to the sand anchor, I bought a 10' section of 8mm climbing rope which I thread through each of the straps on the sand anchor and then I clip a biner to that loop of rope.  It gets all the working parts up off the sand, and at least for me, seems easier to adjust so that the straps are a little more evenly weighted.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:54 PM by Josiah » Logged
tcope

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 01:55 PM »

@Tcope: Some *laundry* did that?  What were you flying, a full-size Gomberg crown?! Smiley  I'd easily believe the Floform itself could pull apart a biner like that, but the laundry? 
The laundry did not, a 6' (I think) dog was the laundry. It was the tension on the kite line that bend it like that. It was a bit gusty and the kite swayed back and forth. I thought it really odd how this disformed the biner.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Josiah
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 02:17 PM »

Whoa!  That is incredible!!!  Huh  Smiley  Great reminder of how much force these large SLKs generate!!!
tcope

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 02:08 PM »

Just FYI, this is how the carabiner was attached to the line;

With the swaying of the kite, it twisted the middle and front of the carabiner. That is just power side to side.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 02:48 PM »

ah...i bet that little bump out at the left side (of the picture) was the cause of this damage.   If the line is wrapped around the flat/straight side of a krab there will be no side forces enabled to do damage like that. 

good lesson for us all to learn!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 03:56 PM »

ah...i bet that little bump out at the left side (of the picture) was the cause of this damage.   If the line is wrapped around the flat/straight side of a krab there will be no side forces enabled to do damage like that
It was wrapped as shown in the last photo, around the long solid side.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Lee S

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 06:55 PM »

To attach the kite line to an anchor I use a climbing carabiner with 18 kilonewtons on the major axis. To attach line laundry I use any store bought carabiner, just not the smaller ones. Funny that you ask this question as I happen to have one in front of me that I has some line laundry on a few weeks ago. Picture is attached. The line was wrapped around this carabiner. It was attached to a 240 sq ft flow form in 15mph winds.

The caribiner you picture is an exact example of what I would never use to anchor anything, excepting perhaps my car keys Wink  Looking at the picture enlarged, I see no lock pin on the gate, and no notch on the latch end to engage a lock. Weight rating on that thing was probably less than 100#. Everything you describe about the rig that caused this damage (lifter, laundry, line, etc) seems too big for that caribiner. I've always tried to use hardware rated at about twice (or better) the expected load. So, since I don't have anything requiring over 500# line I feel confident in using climbing gear.

Remember that the rating on these devices is for length-wise load. It would probably be wise to inspect your gear before any adverse conditions arise. Once, I tied a large kite to a picnic table at Berkeley. It wasn't until later I realized that the bench was made of recycled plastic "wood", and my line had cut through almost half of a 2X6 sized seat board. Oops.
tcope

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 07:00 PM »

The carabiner was not used to anchor the kite. It was used to hang line laundry on the line.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum