GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original Fearless bridle line copy...  (Read 2867 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 02:20 PM »

cids bottom line is that you get it right. if it takes 10 minutes or ten days you will have learned something and hopfully had fun doing it ps tie me up a set while you are at it LOL
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:26 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 04:36 PM »

I don't see 1 1/2 hours as out of line for a first attempt either when you don't know how much line a knot is going to take etc.

Anyway here's a nice video from Ken McNeill showing the Blue Moon Kites method of attaching the bridle (cow hitch). It may make future attempts easier although it would be a modification on your original it is functionally the same and you could even tie it alongside the original bridle without removing it. Otherwise mark the original where it meets the spar then remove, mark the new lines the same and cut 5"-6" inches long past those marks, hold the mark against the spar and tie the Cow Hitch then mark where you need the stopper knot, untie, tie the stopper, retie and check, move the stopper as necessary.

I wondered when we learned this in the Muse workshop too, but I've never had one come undone, not even the ones I tied.

Mongoose bridle update

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 06:30 PM »

I don't see 1 1/2 hours as out of line for a first attempt either when you don't know how much line a knot is going to take etc.
The first attempt was worse. It took me longer than 1.5 hrs. since I needed to figured out how to tie those damn knots. Wink  I think I'm not a knot guy. I don't do fishing either.  May be this is the root of the problem ? Cheesy  I see the guy in the video has long finger nails and also Lam gets the same features in his fingers. Cheesy  I think this is a good tool for doing the knots(or undoing it) that I don't have right now.  It takes a long time to position the knot in the required measurement.  It always come out short or too much. Then the undoing part, which is taking a while to do since I don't have long nails.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Anyway, I'm getting better since I have more experiences in doing/undoing the knots.  Thanks for the video.

cids bottom line is that you get it right. if it takes 10 minutes or ten days you will have learned something and hopfully had fun doing it ps tie me up a set while you are at it LOL
Doing the bridle line thing is not fun at all.  I prefer to trick the kite more.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:52 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 07:46 PM »

Cowslip is easy - just remember over over under under. Over the rod, over the line, under the rod, under the line.

Other than that, it was overhand knots and larks head for the bridle that I tied. 

6 kite tom
rxburner
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 10:22 PM »

I burn threw a fearless bridle about twice a year. All the knots are half hitches, just a matter of making both sides even.  Send me 15 ft of bridle line and I would be happy to make you a set of Fearless out-haul lays. ( I make the 3 point ). If you need the in-haul I can do that too, but it is stupid easy.
I have not tried to make the Turbo yet,,, so your on your own if you need one of those.

Rx
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 11:06 PM »

Quote from: inewham
Add what felt like an hour for getting the knots undone on the old bridle
Is that like "it felt like an hour" but it really was nothing like that in the same way that "it felt like 25mph" but in reality....? Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Hadge

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 03:10 AM »

The first time I tied a full bridle - a cross active for a Benson Gemini - it took me 1 1/2-2 hours, mainly as I was checking and rechecking all the lengths and knots- it was pretty stressful! Now I can usually tie one up in under half an hour as I know the knots.

If you want a good guide to the knots you need look here.http://wardley.org/kites/bridle/knots.html

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
stapp59
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 04:26 AM »

Whenever I do something new like this, it normally takes me three attempts to get good at it.

The first attempt is to dissect the project, develop a strategy, learn the techniques, and how the materials work.  The first attempt takes considerable time and I often throw the results away.

The second attempt is faster, works out the kinks, and often usable as a prototype.

The third attempt is much faster and pretty close to the original in results.

The time it takes, is the time it takes.  I'm thinking it is time to build a whole kite.....
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 05:23 AM »

The first time I tied a full bridle - a cross active for a Benson Gemini - it took me 1 1/2-2 hours, mainly as I was checking and rechecking all the lengths and knots- it was pretty stressful! Now I can usually tie one up in under half an hour as I know the knots.

If you want a good guide to the knots you need look here.http://wardley.org/kites/bridle/knots.html

Great link. Thanks.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 05:50 AM »

Quote from: stapp59
The first attempt is to dissect the project, develop a strategy, learn the techniques, and how the materials work.  The first attempt takes considerable time and I often throw the results away.
Just to be clear... we are still talking about some string and a few knots here and not an innovative new approach open heart surgery under artillery fire, yes ?  Huh

Clearly there are complexities at work here that I had not previously appreciated 'cos if something as apparently simple as making a new bridle was taking me the hours stated I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that I was doing something seriously wrong in some way.

Each to their own I suppose.  Embarrassed

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
stapp59
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 08:04 AM »

Just to be clear... we are still talking about some string and a few knots here and not an innovative new approach open heart surgery under artillery fire, yes ?  Huh

Nice imagery Mike! Reminds me of scenes from "Saving Private Ryan".  Have never thought of kites as medical training but we could tie the sutures and perhaps the sewing procedures  Huh  Cheesy

Yes bridles are not that difficult.  The point is that first attempts usually take more time than one would think....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change