GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 06:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Losing Your Focus  (Read 5249 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: October 02, 2010, 05:57 PM »

I heard a rumor. So I wrote to the lads. Let me play snopes on this one:

Claim: Focus Kite Designs is closing.
ē FALSE

Hey John.  Good to hear from you.  Thanks for the heads up on the rumor.  I can assure you that this is not true at all.  We are back to producing Skates and Jinx now and still working on getting the rest of our kites going again.  Please help us spread the word that we are still building kites and donít plan on stopping!  Thanks and happy winds!

Hunter Brown
Focus Kite Designs
www.focuskites.com

Check out our blog for updates!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 06:00 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:44 PM »

I see Paul on occasion here in Seattle... Saw him fly at the Whidbey Island Festival (His indoor flying was shocking in it's precision and grace).

He mentioned to me not long ago that they are pleased with the current production of the Skate and Jinx and are looking forward to having the other kites available soon. 

I don't currently own a Focus kite, but am looking forward to it being my next purchase (Probably a Jinx) when I can stop spending money on ingredients for kites I've been making (no original designs yet... just a handful of plans available on the web).

Regardless, the point is to be a second (or third) to confirm that Focus Kites is going strong.  Although, hearing it from Hunter himself seems to be proof enough!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 12:10 AM »

I'm glad they're not closing. I hadn't heard the rumor, but its good to hear that all is well.
They make some fine kites!  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
DonCrash
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:32 PM »

Yup...their blog was pretty clear about it, definitely not closing down. I'm still waiting on their restart of Hydra production. And probably a Manta for my winter season (fund and availability willing).

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
sugarbaker

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:33 PM »

couldn't wait a second longer... just put in my order for a Jinx.  Hopefully the lead time is short! 
sugarbaker

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 04:54 AM »

For anyone that's curious, Paul said that I should allow 4 to 5 weeks for build time of my custom jinx.

Hard to wait, but I'm excited.
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 06:27 AM »

I'm hardly an unbiased observer, but the Jinx is worth that wait Smiley  I know that I had to wait about that long for each of mine (I didn't order the STD and the UL at the same time, so I had two different waiting periods to get my hands on the kite each time). 

What custom color scheme did you go with?

For anyone that's curious, Paul said that I should allow 4 to 5 weeks for build time of my custom jinx.

Hard to wait, but I'm excited.
sugarbaker

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 08:40 AM »

I'm traveling now, so don't have ability to post pics, but if your imagination is good...

Dark grey leading edge. Light grey center panels (everything symmetrical). Sky blue trailing edge. Orange "eyebrow"s (no good way to describe the small center panels). And black wing tips.

Looked good on the website. We'll see. I'll post pics when I get it.
winfre

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 05:45 AM »

Hard to get some news from the Focus team... their blog didn't move since may.

I'm waiting for emails answer on kites@focuskites.com.

Does anybody have some fresh news from them ?  Undecided
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 08:51 AM »

They are still out there...at this time the only model - in my understanding and chats with the guys - not on the table is the Manta.....
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
sugarbaker

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:23 PM »

Production has been slow (I have an order for a Jinx pending).  Paul is working on keeping things moving. No other news at this time.
Focus Kite Designs

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:11 PM »

Hey guys.  I wanted to let everyone know that Paul and I are still around and Focus is still alive.  You should be able to reach us at kites@focuskites.com if you want to get in touch with us.  We check that email regularly.  If you have been sending emails there and not gotten a reply, I am not sure why.  The best way to reach us is through email at the moment.  Both of us work during the day so catching us on the phone is tough.  I am sorry that it is taking longer for orders to be processed at the moment and that all the kites are not in production yet.  But we are still here and wanted to let you all know.  Thanks for all the support!

Hunter Brown
Focus Kite Designs
www.focuskites.com
sugarbaker

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:31 PM »

talked to Paul today... my Jinx sail is done and awaiting it's frame.  I know it will be worth the wait I have endured!
sugarbaker

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 01:23 PM »

dare I say it?  ordered on October 4th of last year.  Paul emailed me today to inform me that he has shipped my Jinx to my knew home in Reno.  Having moved away from Seattle, I don't have the opportunity to visit with Paul much anymore, but am intrigued by his prospects in kite design and where those designs might show up in the future.  Can't wait to get this kite and post some pictures of one of the last Jinxs to be made (at this time anyway). 
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 03:44 PM »

Manta, manta, manta... is my Mantra

someday...
CV

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change