GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 04:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie to Kiting  (Read 4522 times)
Decoy
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: October 03, 2010, 06:07 AM »

Hello everyone,

Hello everyone, I am new to the sport of kiting; as in I am in the “raw and bleeding” learning phase. I hereby place myself at your mercy. I have flown the classic one line kite for years; my baby is my 7 footer. However recently while flying my SLK I realized that I really wanted to do more with kiting, which led me to youtube, which led me here. I am now on the hunt for my very first sport kite and of course I need help…lots of it. I have combed through kite site after kite site only to realize that I don’t know jack about buying a kite. I would like something that I could just fly and not get fancy with it but I would also like something trickable, is that the correct word? I also live in Kentucky...

I live in Kentucky were our weather is wonky; one day we will get no wind and the next it’s a mini tornado. At the moment cost is of no consequence- I simply want something that will take a beating (crash, crash, crash), be able to fly with medium wind and something that I will be able to “grow” with. Simply I am looking for a near super kite (I ask for miracles). I am more than willing to buy used, but if I need to I am also more than willing to buy new. Any suggestions?   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:10 AM by Decoy » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 06:45 AM »

Welcome to the sport.
Good luck with your quest.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 08:15 AM »

Welcome to the addiction

Here are a few recommendations for a first dual line they are designed for ease of flying
and durability for learning

Beetle

Nexus

Rock On

The other advice is to see if thier are other fliers in your area to get together with, 15 minutes with an experienced pilot is worth hours of learning on your own

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Decoy

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 09:40 AM »

I have spent all morning cursing the lack of wind as well as researching BlueMoon Kites. I have decided to go for one of them, be it as it may. I am undecided on the Mantis, Mamba, or the Mongoose. Any suggestions on the kites?
Victrinia Ridgeway
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:58 AM »

Buy yourself a Nexus... (one of my first kites)... even if you only use it for a few weeks... it'll take the edge off the abuse you will inflict on a BMK. It's a great solid flier that will take you through the paces in short order. You will outgrow it... but it's a good flier for your opening salvo into sport kites. Then you'll also have something to let others fly when they see you trickin' on your BMK...

Hubby and I just got a Mantis yesterday off of Bill... and let me tell you, I would not want to play lawn darts with that beauty. We're new enough that less than graceful landings still can happen... but the worst of the learning curve was taken out on a jazz and Nexus... the Jazz was actually not a great opening kite either as it is lightening fast with that small sail.

If you want to get a BMK now... that's cool... but it would be like deciding you want a custom harly and you don't have any idea how to ride a bicycle. It can be done... but there are inherent risks with seriously damaging what will/should be a top kite kite in your bag.

Good luck...

Victrinia

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
Bob D

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:21 AM »

Yeah, I agree. Get something that will take your lawn darts well before you get a Blue Moon. I tried the Rock On and didn't like it. It's too small and I thought the build was kind of cheap. Prism makes nice starter kites though. If you have something in mind, post for it in the "Wanted" section.

Bob D.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 07:55 AM »

... I would like something that I could just fly and not get fancy with it but I would also like something trickable ...

I have spent all morning cursing the lack of wind as well as researching BlueMoon Kites. I have decided to go for one of them, be it as it may. I am undecided on the Mantis, Mamba, or the Mongoose. Any suggestions on the kites?

For pure grace when just flying around get the Mamba, plus it'll take you pretty deep into tricks when you're ready, in fact Ken just made some changes that take even deeper into the trick catagory. Spend some time on the colorizer, it has a panel layout that allows you to come up with 1000 different designs, so make it your own, it'll bring a smile to your face everytime you fly it.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 07:57 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Decoy

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 02:20 PM »

I called up Ken today after buying a Nexus off of Ebay (From a kite store, I’m a quick learner!) and he suggested going with whatever one appealed to me visibly; which is the Mamba. However, I am a horrible decision maker and it so I drew names from a hat…sooooo…I believe at this point that I will be buying a Mongoose from Ken. Though I really prefer the look of the Mamba…darn it!! Something calls me to the Mongoose, and heck I can always pick up the Mamba as a “Christmas Gift” for my father who I have spread the addiction too; I can see it now “Hey dad let me burrow the Mamba for a bit!” (He thinks he will be content flying my bit baby SLK but I can’t wait until I hand over the Mongoose, after a period of “crash testing” with the Nexus of course.) This is all incredibly exciting! Though the color choices may be my doom; I have spent hours clicking in color options and still no light bulb moment. I am really going for a Rainbow Mongoose, but as of this moment undecided. Am I in the clear to post screen shots of color ideas?

Mikenchico: Just when I think I am decided you haul me back in to the realm of indecision. Mamba V. Mongoose Mamba V. Mongoose Mamba or Mongoose Mamba Mongoose Mamba Mongoose…
Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 03:22 PM »

Everything I have heard about Mamba from my hubby tells me it is a VERY elegant flyer.

Seeing the Mantis in the hands of an experianced pilot (Bill) is also a wonder. I don't think you should sweat it too much... because frankly... it you think Mamba... you should go Mamba... you can't go wrong either way... but you'll definitely end up buying one - one way or another, in the end. lol

We are in 12 kites deep already. And only a few are the less expensive - tough variety. Also going to a kite festival swap tent is a GREAT way to get good kites. We spent $230 on three kites which would have likely cost me over $800 new.

Glad you got yourself a Nexus... you won't be sorry. Wink

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 04:51 PM »

O buddy, you can't go wrong with a mongoose. You wont be sorry. Smiley
Welcome to kiting!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 05:34 PM »

I have bought and sold a variety of kites, but I have never sold a Blue Moon.

+1 on the "you can't go wrong" - with any Blue Moon kite.

Welcome to the dual line kite community.
Decoy

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:15 PM »

Going with a Mongoose!  Smiley

I need help deciding on color placement.

Vote in?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 07:27 PM by Decoy » Logged
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 07:59 PM »

3 first for me then 1. The colorizer will suck many hours away Cry
I also have found he colors vary some when backlite.

Welcome to the forum!

Sine Metu!
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 08:24 PM »

#1 then #2..... but i like simple....
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 08:27 PM »

I’m partial to # 3.

But be verwee verwee careful.

The colorizer has driven many a mortal looney tunes.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change