GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 03:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie to Kiting  (Read 4697 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 03:45 AM »

#17 then #5, I usually lean toward asymmetrical myself but I just haven't seen it on the Mongoose panel layout, #14 is the best asymmetrical design I've seen. #6 & #15 are still in a dead heat for 3rd choice although #15 was the first one to catch my eye.

I'd do #17 as your standard and hold #5 or #15 for your UL while you work out where to put a splash of purple to tie them together  Grin   Wink

(This opinion is relevant tonight only, in the morning it always looks different)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:48 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Decoy
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 10:04 AM »

Well the Nexus came today! I love it, and the locals think it is hysterical. "Its up, its up...haha no its not" Well I took it out to fly today and my first flight was a record 3.5 seconds. Though after a while I could get it to stay up for a bit and I managed to land it a few times. Turns are still out of my range. Smiley This is going to be so much fun, however as a mute point HOLY HELL THAT THING IS FAST! Zip Zip crash!

As for color I am pounding my head against the wall...
kenmcneill
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 10:42 AM »

I agree with Mike, #17 is very nice.

Ken
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 10:55 AM »

FWIW, #10 or #13 would be my choice.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 01:58 PM »

I like 13, but then its hard to argue with Ken. Is that yellow or gold?
we tried to warn you that the colorizer would be painful  Cheesy

Sine Metu!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 02:16 PM »

13 also for me  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 02:50 PM »

*Decoy* if you haven't yet check the balance on those lines, a couple of the last Prism sets I've checked have been off enough to make flying difficult. Stick a screwdriver through the loops and unwind the lines, then check that they are even. If you can anchor the loops to something more solid then do so and lean back on the lines with 50 lbs or so pressure, on & off for awhile then check the balance. Re-tie as neccesary. Uneven lines make even the best kite hard to control.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 04:44 PM »

I'm so proud. I feel like I just sent my child to kindergarten... lol 

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
Scott Blake

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 09:15 PM »

Hi Decoy,

I am with you, new to kiting and trying to pick a first 'real' kite.  Like you though, I got a beater; mine being a Micron - trust me, if you want to see zip zip crash you should have seen some of my first 'flights' with that thing!  The advice here is quite good though and has me thinking I might get something like a Nexus or even a Quantum (its only a bottle of wine more being my justification) and I can just leave it at the cottage or something.  I don't think though I will have the lawn dart problem now though so will have to think about whether it just makes more sense to pay up the extra 100 bucks and get the end product; my hunch being an Ocius atm.

Anyhoo, out of your color dilemma, 11 was really close to one I laid out (I like bright colors) but your 17 is very nice as well.  I kinda think having your tips being distinct from the rest of the kite might help make them a bit more visible to you for timing tricks (uh, speaking from next to no experience hehe, my only trick is an axel!).

Good luck with you choice!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum